See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Profiles and Results 2010

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Pre-outage profiles and results

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi all,

I'm not sure the best way to do this. I try to keep a version of the profiles and results all as one file, so I can scan through them when I want, and so my perl script has one place to look for everything. This file overlaps what we do here, and to me, it makes searching almost too fast, and thus I've kept it a bit of a secret. But, since most of this information is somewhat lost, I wanted to provide the links (as always, feel free to let me know if you want your info removed).

Here is the profiles.

And here is the results.

I'm not sure the best way to integrate this in terms of putting the info back on urch servers. Further, I don't think Erin is done fixing things, and I have no idea what will exist at the end of the day. For now, starting new threads sounds fine to me, but don't feel obligated to repost your results for my sake.

I actually wrote a whole bunch more, but I realize that whatever happens will be fine, and if th eoutage gives people the chance to re-evaluate how they use this site, so much the better. If/when profiles and results are posted again, I'll be able to handle it with little additional work on my part (especially when compared with everything Erin has and continues to put into this site [thanks Erin!]).

Good luck everyone, still over a month until April 15, so there is plenty of time for more great news!
    You might be interested in this analysis of past TM applicants results, which sorts acceptance and rejection results by school based on postings on TM. Also, I have made a ranking of programs by number of flyouts of schools' job market candidates, which is still in development.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    P.S. I don't have any idea how much more up-to-date Erin might be able to get the site as it might affect all of this. Has he mentioned anything that I missed? If there is any "best way" for all of this, I don't know what it may be. For instance, if people have to re-register, and for whatever reason do not keep the same username, that complicates things for me slightly, and I'm not sure right now the best way to handle this - but again, whatever happens will be fine by me, I'm just thinking ahead a bit.

P.P.S. For my convenience, I will be attaching the new profiles and results to the old ones. You should be able to figure out where the old ends and new begins, if you are interested.
    Last edited by untitled; 03-02-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Wanted to add a PPS, and didn't feel it was worth a new post
    You might be interested in this analysis of past TM applicants results, which sorts acceptance and rejection results by school based on postings on TM. Also, I have made a ranking of programs by number of flyouts of schools' job market candidates, which is still in development.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No

Profiles and Results 2010

Since many people have received all of their decisions, I'll go ahead and start this traditional thread of the year..

Quoted from asquare from profiles and results 2009,

"This thread is meant to be a reference thread only. Please fill out the information below, but post any comments or questions in a separate thread. Other comments will be deleted from this thread. Note that you can only edit your posts for about one hour after you make them. This means that if you are still waiting on admissions decisions, you should wait to post your profile on this thread. Otherwise, your profile will be incomplete."

Without further due...

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    Math Courses:
    Econ Courses:
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation:
    Research Experience:
    Teaching Experience:
    Research Interests:
    SOP:
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Waitlists:
    Rejections:
    Pending:

What would you have done differently?
    Last edited by OutOfGame; 03-13-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Within my grasp!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    I'll Start.

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Top 10 LAC
    Undergrad GPA: 3.95
    Type of Grad: none
    Grad GPA: N/A
    GRE: 800Q 580V 5.5 AWA
    Math Courses: Calc, Linear Algebra, Intro to Proofs, Real Analysis I, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, Complex, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra, Combinatorics, Stochastic Processes
    Econ Courses: Principles, Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory, Finance
    Other Courses: Data Structures, Data Mining, Algorithms
    Letters of Recommendation: 3 good but not well-known (Two econ, one math).
    Research Experience: One summer independent (with paper), 2 terms RA
    Teaching Experience: None
    Research Interests: Monetary, IO, Finance
    SOP: Good
    Other: graduating in 3 years

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    None
    Waitlists: None
    Rejections: All. Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Chicago, Penn, Columbia, Northwestern, Berkeley, Yale.
    Pending: None
    I would re-evaluate my profile greatly, and re-calculate the competition for the next admission cycle. Pretty sad, but life goes on. I am taking an RA position for the next two years. Good luck with everyone who's coming back in the following years' admissions!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    4-year B.A. Economics from Best Lithuanian University
    Undergrad GPA: 8,9/10 (10 excellent, 9 very good, 8 good, 7 satisfactory) (my results gradually improved since my first year in university)
    Type of Grad: N/A
    Grad GPA: N/A
    GRE: 800Q, 340V, 3.0AWA (TOEFL iBT 113)
    Math Courses: Advanced Mathematics (7) (linear algebra, matrix, vector spaces, differential calculus, integrals, differential equations), Optimization Methods (8), Operation Research (10), Quantitative Analysis of Economics (9), Business Mathematics (1.0 German)
    Econ Courses (Undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro I-II (9,8), Intermediate Macro I-II (8,9), Public Economics (8), Economics of Social Security (8), Money and Credit (9), Higher Microeconomics (9), International Economics (9), Macroeconomic Models (10, State Economic Policy (10), Industrial Organization (9), Theory of Economic Growth (10), Game Theory (spring), Comparative Economics (10)
    Statistics Courses: Statistics (8), Economic Statistics (excellent), Econometrics I-II (10,10)
    Other Non credit courses (all spring semester): Higher Macroeconomics, Mathematical Analysis, Probability Theory, Time Series Econometrics with R, Mathematics for Economics Analysis, Asymptotic Statistics(PhD level)
    Letters of Recommendation: None of them known outside the country
    Research Experience:
    Nothing special except of econometric research related with stock markets
    Teaching Experience: TA during seminars of Econometrics for undergraduates ( Eviews software, GLS, Time Series)
    Research Interests: Economic of Education, Health, Social Security, Public Economics, Labour Economics
    Statement of purpose: concentrated over my interests and explained my skills in econ and math courses
    Concerns: Quality of my school, my low GRE verbal/writing scores. Not excellent results within some modules. Exchange semester in University of Applied Sciences in Germany (I got excellent-very good results there). Many business related modules (most of them from first and second year)
    Applying to: Mphil Tinbergen, Mphil Tilburg

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Tinbergen Institute ($$$)
    Rejections: Tilburg RM1
    What would you have done differently? Nothing

Attending:
    Tinbergen Institute
    Attending: Tinbergen Mphil Economics 2010

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    BA in Economics from the University of Texas at Austin
    Undergrad GPA: 4.00
    Type of Grad: 50% of a MA in Economics from Duke University (not going to finish)
    Grad GPA: 4.00
    GRE: 740Q, 560V, 6.0AW
    Math Courses: Cal I-III, Linear Algebra, Applied Differential Equations, Economic Statistics, Intro. to Statistics, Applied Data Analysis, Real Analysis
    Econ Courses: Intro. Macro, Intro. Micro, Intermediate Micro, Intermediate Macro, Industrial Organization, Political Economy, Health Economics, Labor Economics. GRADUATE LEVEL: Advanced Microeconomics, Environmental Economics
    Other Courses: Bunch of philosophy courses
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 Princeton, 1 Yale, 1 Cornell, and 1 MIT
    Research Experience: RA for a semester with a top environmental economist at Duke
    Teaching Experience: Supplemental instructor for an intro. microeconomics course
    Research Interests: Environmental economics
    SOP: 2.5 pages. Reflected my goals, ambitions, and specific research interests. I know that this was the most important part of my application, which enabled me to overcome my low GRE score. This was told to me by several adcoms. Thus, the SOP is the difference for those of you with terrible GRE scores. MAKE IT COUNT!
    Other: Was not expecting too much given my low GRE.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:

Arizona State University ($21.5k stipend, full tuition, and health insurance)
    NC State University ($18k stipend, $5k fellowship, full tuition, health insurance)
    Penn State University ARE (don't know the specifics, but ~20k stipend, full tuition)
    Virginia Tech Applied Economics ($19.7k stipend, full tuition, and 80% health insurance)
    Rejections:
    Duke Environmental Policy PhD (no adviser for my research interests)
    Pending: Michigan State ARE. Would not go even if accepted at this point.
    What would you have done differently? Very little. GRE score was low, but I got into my reach school, ASU. I really wanted to work with Kerry Smith, so am very happy to have such an opportunity. I suppose that I could have applied to a few more reach schools higher up in the rankings (like UCSD), but I doubt that I would get in.
    Again, SOP is the most important part of your application. I spent a month on mine going over every little detail. It really made the difference for me and I could not have gotten into ASU without it. Spend lots of time on your SOP and make it great!!!

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: B.Sc. in Math, Economics and Humanities honors program, from a top 50 or so university (international)
    Undergrad GPA: 95.4/100 (cum laude)
    Type of Grad: M.A. in Economics and Game Theory, same university
    Grad GPA: 98.1/100 (cum laude)
    GRE: 800Q, 620V, 5.0AWA
    Math Courses: Lots of undergrad courses (most of them A+, some A), auditing grad courses.
    Econ Courses: Many undergrad courses (all A+), micro, macro, econometrics, and many game theory courses at grad level (all A+)
    Other Courses: A lot of humanities undergrad courses, some in social sciences
    Letters of Recommendation: All from well-known professors, and according to what I was told, they were all stellar.
    Research Experience: Lots of algorithms research in Hi-Tech industry, two unpublished papers (MA thesis and another one) in microeconomics.
    Teaching Experience: TA for Microeconomics and Game Theory (grad level) and for Math for economics (undergrad level)
    Research Interests: Microeconomics, Game theory
    Statement of purpose: Pretty standard, almost non-customized.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Harvard (HBS and Economics), NWU, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Stanford (GSB and Economics), Berkeley, Chicago.
    Rejections: None.

In retrospect, I might have applied only to my top 5 places (like I was advised by one of my recommendation letter writers), but I guess there was no way to really predict how much impact the recommendations would have.
    Harvard Business Economics.

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Top 10 LAC (It used to be top 5!!) - Double Major Math & Econ - Graduated in 3 years
    Undergrad GPA: 3.96/4.00
    GRE:
    800Q/650V/4.5AWA
    Math Courses:
    lots of statistic courses + a few applied math + Calc + RA + Abstract Algebra
    Econ Courses:
    the usual undergrad with emphasis on finance courses
    Other Courses:
    two years equivalent of undergrad physics
    Letters of Recommendation:
    1 each from home institution econ prof and math prof + 1 from prof at top econ phd program
    Research Experience:
    College Math Thesis + College Econ Thesis + 0.5 year at economic consulting (I think this is meaningless) + 1.5 years RA at top econ phd program
    Teaching Experience:
    TA for lots of math and econ classes in college
    Research Interests:
    Finance, Development
    SOP:
    Quite long -my full version was 1500 word. It was necessary for me because I was out of school for 2 years. I felt that I was able to make my SOP interesting enough that they will spend the time to read the entirety. I talked about what inspired me to become interested in finance/development. What I did to gain exposure to these fields and to prepare myself for grad school.
    Other:

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    MIT, Chicago, Minnesota, Cornell, Brown, JHU, BU
    Waitlists:
    Harvard
    Rejections:
    a couple in the top 5
    Pending:

Nothing much. I got into my top choice.
    Last edited by Pedxs; 03-16-2010 at 06:37 AM.
    {Harvard, MIT, Chicago, .....}

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Degrees Licentiate (=MA+BA) in economics, summa cum laude, GPA 5.8/6; B.Sc. math, GPA 5.7/6 both from large Swiss university
    GRE: First go: 770Q 510V 5.5 AWA, Second go: 800Q 610V 4.5AWA
    TOEFL 119
    Math Courses: Analysis I-III (equivalent to real analysis, plus measure theory, integration on manifolds etc.) linear algebra I-II, abstract algebra, probability theory, measure theoretic probability theory, differential geometry (fall), topology (fall), functional analysis (fall)
    Econ Courses: Micro I-IV (III and IV used Jehle/Reny and MWG), Macro I-IV (III used Obstfeld/Rogoff, IV used Romer), Growth and distribution theory, public economics, money and credit, monetary economics, behavioral economics, behavioral macroeconomics, behavioral finance (used Shleifer), experimental economics, statistics, econometrics (used Wooldridge), analysis of microdata, mathematical statistics and time series analysis, environmental economics, microeconomic theory of the firm, topics in international finance, finance and the macroeconomy, business economics.
    Other Courses: Motivational psychology, psychology of perception, social psychology I-II, social neuroscience
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 famous econ, 1 well known econ, 1 less well known econ, one math
    Research Experience: RAing for 2 years, two theses (developped a game theoretic model in each of them)
    Teaching Experience: Teaching exercise classes in undergrad micro, undergrad macro, public economics
    Research Interests: Micro, behavioral, game theory, experimental, public econ
    Other Fulbright
    Concerns Adcoms not knowing how to interpret Swiss grades, relatively unknown university (though we got a handful of visiting profs from the top 5 every year here), the IIE handling some of my applications (but I'll be happy if they assessed my chances correctly!), ...and of course the insane competition
    Applying to Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Yale, Chicago, NYU, NWU, Caltech, Cornell, CMU SDS, LSE, Oxford, UCL, Zurich (so much for the hypothesis that we international applicants choose our safeties at home)

RESULTS:
    Acceptances: Yale, Stanford, NYU, Berkeley, Chicago, Caltech, Northwestern, Oxford (PhD, PRS), UCL (PhD), all with good or great funding
    Waitlists: None (great!)
    Rejections: Cornell, Tilburg, Harvard
    Pending: LSE, Carnegie Mellon SDS

What would you have done differently? Not much, really. Maybe I should have applied to Princeton, but I certainly can't complain! I think two things boosted my application: 1. The fact that I showed commitment by getting a BS in maths after finishing my MA in econ to do econ theory, and 2. the fact that I did independent research for my MA-thesis and spent sufficient time and energy on it to impress my advisor

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: University of Chicago
    Undergrad GPA: 3.83
    Type of Grad: n/a
    Grad GPA: n/a
    GRE: Q800 V540 W4.0
    Math Courses: Analysis in Rn 1,2,3 , Abstract Algebra 1,2 , Numerical Analysis, Complex Analysis, Theory of ODE (involved use of complex variable) All A's except complex analysis (A-)
    Stat Courses: Mathematical Statistics (A-), and mathematical probability (A)
    Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro and Macro (all A's), International trade and finance (A-,A), Econometrics (intro and advance) (A, B+,A), Advanced Macro 1, 2 (A+,A+), Auction Theory (A), Game Theory (A), a graduate class in numerical methods in economics (A)
    Other Courses: Computer Science (A,A)
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 Harvard, 1 Minnesota, 1 Princeton (They are all pretty strong)
    Research Experience: 1 Year part time RA, 1 Summer RA at central bank in my country
    Teaching Experience: TA for math and econ
    Research Interests: Asset pricing and macro
    SOP: normal with customized to each program
    Other: I am currently a junior year student.

RESULTS:
    Acceptances:
    Chicago($), Northwestern (WL), UPenn ($$), Columbia($$), Minnesota ($$), Wisconsin($$), Boston U($$)
    Waitlists: MIT
    Rejections: Harvard, Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Berkeley, UMich
    Pending: nothing

What would you have done differently? I should not apply this year. I should instead work as an RA for a year or two and then apply. I think then I would have a clear shot at top 5 schools. But well, graduating in three years save me 50,000US worth of tuition fee and now I am happy with Penn, which is very good at Asset Pricing.
    Last edited by Morxjez; 03-18-2010 at 12:46 AM.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information