Urch Forums

GPA conversion for spanish grades

restranga

Hi everyone

I'm new at this forum and I would like to know how to convert spanish grades into the GPA system. My undergrad average is 8.05/10. It is a quite high average grade at my university (probably the first or second of my year) but I think it could look poor when converted directly to 0-4 system.

I want to apply for a phd program in the US for Fall 2011 and I am very concerned this could get me automatically rejected.

Anyone can help me? Thanks a lot and congrats to all admits this year.

Thanks for the reply meiloya. But what numbers are associated to each letter to calculate the GPA? Sorry to ask all this but I’m a bit disoriented.

I plan to apply to almost all of the top 20-30 programs. Could anyone evaluate my profile? Grades are as follows (0-4.9 fail, 5-6.9 pass, 7-8.9 notable, 9 and above can be outstanding or honors depending on professor's mood).

Type of Undergrad: Economics, Spanish university (not well known internationally, I think).

Undergrad GPA: 8.05/10

Type of Grad: MA in International Econ (same university)

Grad GPA: 8.64/10 (without thesis)

GRE/TOEFL: I plan to take the GRE in June. TOEFL: 97 (very nervous, plan to take it again).

Math Courses: multivariate calculus (differentiation and integration, 7.4), linear algebra (8.6), optimization (with some topology topics, 8.2), dynamical systems (5 at undergrad, 9.5 at MA), descriptive stats (10), probability theory (10), statistical inference (7.5), multivariate anañysis (9.4 at UG, 9 at MA), non-parametrical techniques (9).

Econ Courses (UG): Intro Macro and Micro (10 and 9), Intermediate Micro I and II (7.3 and 7.5), Intermediate Macro I and II (10 and 10), Advanced Micro I and II (7.8 and 8), Business cycles (5.3), Economic growth (8.9), Intro Econometrics (7.6), Econometrics I and II (5 and 6.8), Time series (8), Economic Forecasting (7.8), Advanced Econometrics (5), International Macro and Trade (8 and 7), Labor Economics (8.1), Public economics (9.8), Macro policy (9), Fiscal Policy (7.5), Agriculture econ and rural development (7.5), Economic development (9).

Grad courses (MA): Advanced Micro and Macro (6 and 9), International Macro (9.3), International trade and geography econ (9.4), Econometrics (10), Income distribution and social welfare (8), Economics of R&D&i (9), Industrial organization (8), Labor Economics (7).

Other Courses: several Economic history (with 9's), accountability, law.

Letters of Recommendation: Three professors who have taught me 2 or 3 subjects (one of them my MA thesis advisor). Know me very well.

Research Experience: a lot of term papers and MA thesis (not finished yet).

Teaching Experience: if anything, taught Econometrics to some undergrads during the MA (don't think it will be taken into account).

Research Interests: growth and development (with emphasis on the role of institutions and human capital) and international econ.

Statement of Purpose: not written yet. Plan to relate my studies to my research interests. With some adaptation to each program I apply to.

Other: while finishing my thesis and during all the admission process I work at a commercial bank (not related job, but that's necessity and unemployment is hitting Spain very hard)

Concerns: GPA and econometrics grades (it is very difficult even to pass the exams in my uni). Because of the necessity to find a job, the MA is being longer than it was expected.

Thanks in advance.

Academic grading in Spain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This will surely help you convert your GPA to the US 4.00 scale.

Grading Scale Revised Equivalency Grade Description U.S. Grade Equiv. Matrícula de Honor (with Honors) A Sobresaliente (Outstanding) A Notable (Notable) B+ Aprobado (Pass) B- Suspenso (Failure) F A=4.00

B+=3.33

B=3.00

B-=2.7

F=0

I got all the above information through google. You can do same to get more information. By the way, your TOEFL score is good. Most schools require 80+. But check with the schools you are interested in applying to.

Thanks meiloya. That gives me an idea of where I am. Not so bad my GPA then.

For some schools the TOEFL score I got is OK, but there are a lot of them that requires a 100 score. Does anyone know if that puts internationals into the auto-rejection pile?

Although I guess you all are focused on this year's admissions process, I hope someone can comment on my profile, please.

I only know one school with 10 scale GPA with 3 as a lowest mark for the transcript.

In that scale, that school has a conversion rule as following:

9.5 - 10 = A+

9.0 - 9.4 = A

8.0 - 8.9 = A-

7.5 - 7.9 = B+

7.0 - 7.4 = B

6.0 - 6.9 = B-

5.5 - 5.9 = C+

5.0 - 5.4 = C

4.5 - 4.9 = D+

4.0 - 4.4 = D

3.0 - 3.9 = D-

If your school has a 5 as a lowest passing mark, then it will be a bit different from above though.

I hope that it helps.

I think your profile is great. Just focus on your GRE and do well. Try to make at least 780Q, 600V and 5.5AWA. June is a long time to prepare well and ace the GRE. Meanwhile, ensure you gather some research experience by working for some professors here and there. Good luck.

Thanks econgute for the scale you posted. Maybe it is a bit different because of the lower bound, but it helps as a reference anyway.

Thanks for the comments meiloya. I'll try to do my best at GRE. I have planned it so that I have enough time to repeat it if I get a bad score. Regarding to gaining more research experience, I think it's not possible at the time. I cannot quit the job I have right know. As I said above, the situation in Spain is really hard (my parents are at great risk of falling into unemployment and with all the money I'm earning and saving, I can assure they will be OK when I go to the US (if I get admitted, of course). I work too many hours and the free time I have is for the MA thesis and applying for scholarships (the deadlines are in april).

It's being a hard time, but I think it's worth it.

Thanks econgute for the scale you posted. Maybe it is a bit different because of the lower bound, but it helps as a reference anyway.

Thanks for the comments meiloya. I'll try to do my best at GRE. I have planned it so that I have enough time to repeat it if I get a bad score. Regarding to gaining more research experience, I think it's not possible at the time. I cannot quit the job I have right know. As I said above, the situation in Spain is really hard (my parents are at great risk of falling into unemployment and with all the money I'm earning and saving, I can assure they will be OK when I go to the US (if I get admitted, of course). I work too many hours and the free time I have is for the MA thesis and applying for scholarships (the deadlines are in april).

It's being a hard time, but I think it's worth it.

I think it is well worth it. Good luck!