Urch Forums

Where can I find In-Field Rankings?

dreck

In all the recent threads on School X vs. Y vs. Z, I've seen many statements like

"UCSD is top 15 in economics, top 5 in econometrics."

Are these rankings based on field just estimations by individuals? Or is there somewhere online where I can find decent rankings of schools by specific fields?

I am asking this question out of personal curiosity--my own decision is pretty much made--but I think that those resources, if they exist, could be extremely useful to future applicants.

• Like 1

In all the recent threads on School X vs. Y vs. Z, I've seen many statements like

"UCSD is top 15 in economics, top 5 in econometrics."

Are these rankings based on field just estimations by individuals? Or is there somewhere online where I can find decent rankings of schools by specific fields?

I am asking this question out of personal curiosity--my own decision is pretty much made--but I think that those resources, if they exist, could be extremely useful to future applicants.

Grijalva, Therese C. and Clifford Nowell. 2008. "A Guide to Graduate Study in Economics: Ranking Economics Departments by Fields of Expertise." Southern Economic Journal, 74 (4), pp. 971-96.

http://www.econ.uconn.edu/Ranking.pdf

• Like 1

I think most posters are referring to one or both of the above two sources; considerably less reliable/useful/meaningful are the US News & World Report rankings for top 10 in each field at http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-humanities-schools

Oh, and the IDEAS/REPEC rankings at http://ideas.repec.org/top/ are also around; however, lots and lots of authors aren't signed up on here, so take these with a grain of salt.

Edited by wobuffet

Another rough measure --- go to NBER and find the program that most closely matches your interest. ( Major Programs at the NBER ) Then look at "List of Members." See which schools have the most members in each program.

If you do development, look for BREAD fellows and affiliates: About BREAD :: B R E A D Bureau for Research and Economic Analysis of Development Fellows

Well that answers my question extremely well. I think I agree that the first two are the most reliable. At the very least you can know that if a school does well in a field on both, it's probably pretty good in that field. Thanks all. Hope this could be of some service for future applicants!

Another rough measure --- go to NBER and find the program that most closely matches your interest.

One problem with this is that I just checked a few programs I'm somewhat interested in (EEE, PE, PUB, ME) and Harvard ends up topping them all no matter what. Berkeley managed to tie for environmental, but other than that it's not even close for the others. Not saying that you can't get a good idea of possible faculty to work with, but as a ranking, I don't know...

One problem with this is that I just checked a few programs I'm somewhat interested in (EEE, PE, PUB, ME) and Harvard ends up topping them all no matter what. Berkeley managed to tie for environmental, but other than that it's not even close for the others. Not saying that you can't get a good idea of possible faculty to work with, but as a ranking, I don't know...

The NBER is located in Cambridge...