Urch Forums

Macroeconomics in Europe: TSE - PSE - ULB - BOCCONI - WARWICK - UPF

macroeconomist

Hi guys,

would you please rank the following for a PhD in macroeconomics?

TSE - PSE - ULB - BOCCONI - WARWICK - UPF

Factors I would weight the most are

- PhD placement, in private and academia

- Attention given to students by advisors

- Ratio M2 students/Phd students

Thank you, any comment is appreciated.

UPF>TSE>>>Bocconi>PSEULB

Don't know about Warwick

Don't know about this ranking. Because he specifically said Macroeconomics, and i don't think TSE are that good in macroecnomics. Also they have very low m2/phd student ratio, so a bit risky there. But thier placements in academia and private sector or really good

Don't know about this ranking. Because he specifically said Macroeconomics, and i don't think TSE are that good in macroecnomics. Also they have very low m2/phd student ratio, so a bit risky there. But thier placements in academia and private sector or really good

Forgot about TSE's 1-2 PhD admits a year...that's right, then you might wanna move it closer to the mid-tier

I know they take for the Phd 20 students on 30-35 M2 people, that's no so bad, expecially compared to UPF (about 10% manage to continue)...

Sorry to break your heart, but it's not 30-35 M2 but (at least) twice that number (but not as bad as UPF though). I think from among your list, UPF strictly dominates all in macro. Afterall, jordi gali is there and i heard he is very willing to take students. I personally think TSE's macro is quite decent (especially in europe), but it is always perceived as not so good because people tend to compare it with the department's strength in micro. It does have a few good macro guys like gilles saint-paul around currently and it appears that hellwig is coming. However, imho, it is not that ideal a place to be if you want to do macro. The whole place is rather "obsessed" with incentive theory and everything there has somewhat a flavour of that, so if you are interested in stuff like general equilibrium, then don't expect too much at TSE.

I heard (but I don't know how true it is) that the department has been trying very hard to boost it macro side for quite some time, but nobody seems to want to come (how we supposedly have managed to attract hellwig, i really don't know), and it has also been having difficulty in keeping its better macro guy here as well. I don't what's the reason behind it, but i guess it does reflect something about the macro "culture" here.

Hi guys,

would you please rank the following for a PhD in macroeconomics?

TSE - PSE - ULB - BOCCONI - WARWICK - UPF

Factors I would weight the most are

- PhD placement, in private and academia

- Attention given to students by advisors

- Ratio M2 students/Phd students

Thank you, any comment is appreciated.

1) - UPF

2) - PSE

3) - ULB

4) - BOCCONI

5) - TSE (in macro you lose your time)

6) - WARWICK

Thank you. What do you mean about toulouse?

He means, that they don't have a particularly strong macro orientation. Just take a look at the course offerings and you will get a feel for it.

Amazing school for IO, game theory, corporate finance, information economics, contract theory. Essentially most things micro oriented, but they sadly don't put as much emphasis on macro. Although, from what i have heard from this thread, they seem to be recruiting more macro people. So who knows about the future.

Ecares is very small but if you do well there then you have good opportunities. Quite some faculty is cambridge connected and it is not unusual to go to a US topschool for a while e.g this year Malherbe was on the market, he did his phd at Ecares, spent a year at MIT and got a job at LBS, pretty sweet I guess.

If macro is considered then UPF is one of the best in the world. There is no question about it. For applied things ULB and Warwick can be considered strong as well (Warwick is good at finance). And, Toulouse cannot be compared to these universities in terms of macro (but vice versa in terms of micro). I do not know much about PSE. Thus,

UPF>>>Warwick>ULB>Bocconi>>>Toulouse (PSE?)

I have heard some not so good things about this program. I think they are more micro anyways...

Really? what kind of not good things? there are many good professors doing macro (both theoretical and applied). All coming from US universities or from UPF. Nevertheless, UPF is better, above all in terms of reputation.

The fact that TSE is more popular for micro will imply few persons going there to study macro. So, even if there are few professors working in macro, they must give a lot of attention. And also, if they want to equilibrate the composition of their phd body, then maybe will be relatively easier for macro students to go for the phd....

What do you think?