Urch Forums

Econ Master's Programs

lowfish

Does anyone have information on great one-year terminal econ master's programs? For top 5 PhD hopefuls like myself, coming from mediocre state schools, it seems logical to first attain a master's in order to boost our profiles. I've heard Delaware has a decent master's program, please feel free to add your inputs.

I'm going to Tufts. I think it's a good program, but am not prepping for a PhD. It's probably better than Delaware. Also you get good fin. aid.

You are doing the two year program I assume? And can you elaborate on why you think Tufts is better than some of the other master's programs out there, other than the finaid aspect?

Why not also consider two year programs? Remember you will be applying in the fall, which doesn't give you much time to build on your credentials in a one-year program.

In addition, there are plenty of examples of people from mediocre state schools who get into the top 5 straight from undergrad. Some have even expressed the sentiment (I have NO IDEA if this is true, and I'm SKEPTICAL), that if you can't break into the top 5 from undergrad, then a masters degree will probably not help you much.

If you don't have a stellar profile already, you might benefit from taking an extra year of undergrad to bulk up on math/grad econ/research exp. instead of going into a masters program. Just a thought. That wasn't exactly your question, but as someone who comes from a similar background I thought I'd offer my two cents.

I do not know much about MS programs in USA. For Europe, I guess, PSE, Toulouse, LSE, Oxford Mphil, Tinbergen Mphil, Barcelona GSE, Vienna are all good and can place you in good programs. But I guess, U Toronto, British Columbia, Boston University, NYU also has good MA programs. But I have heard skeptical views about their abilities to plce students in top PhD programs. But on this, I agree with dreck, that you can be placed in top ranked institute, if you perform well even if you come from not so highly ranked UG program. (My college in home country which is not even a top 500 college in World, places at least 3 students in top programs each year). But buidling maths/stats in one more year of UG 9as suggetsed by dreck) is better than doing MS from delware

Why not also consider two year programs? Remember you will be applying in the fall, which doesn't give you much time to build on your credentials in a one-year program.

In addition, there are plenty of examples of people from mediocre state schools who get into the top 5 straight from undergrad. Some have even expressed the sentiment (I have NO IDEA if this is true, and I'm SKEPTICAL), that if you can't break into the top 5 from undergrad, then a masters degree will probably not help you much.

If you don't have a stellar profile already, you might benefit from taking an extra year of undergrad to bulk up on math/grad econ/research exp. instead of going into a masters program. Just a thought. That wasn't exactly your question, but as someone who comes from a similar background I thought I'd offer my two cents.

Did you end up staying a 5th year as an undergrad? or did you go and got/are getting a master's? if so, where?

Did you end up staying a 5th year as an undergrad? or did you go and got/are getting a master's? if so, where?

No; I was lucky to get into a program that was a great fit for me (Michigan) after four years of undergrad. I should mention that I was also waitlisted for Princeton, and eventually rejected, so I got very close to the top 5. Had I not been admitted to Michigan, I would have done either another year of undergrad or RA work. I took a lot of math this year that would have advanced my profile, so I suspect my results would improve if I applied again next year. However, I would choose UMich over most schools outside the top 5 because of my interests, so I'm very happy where I am.

There are examples, though, of people who did opt for a 5th year of undergrad--usually after less-than-stellar admissions results, or else a year of RA work after undergrad, and then did extremely well in admissions. Masters degrees can be a great way to go, but they're by no means the only way to overcome the prestige bias (against lower-tier undergrad schools). There are also examples--the one everyone here knows is Jeeves--of people from mediocre state schools breaking into the top 5. You might also check out Jeeves old thread about coming from a state school; it might be hard to find but he offers some good advice. If you want more details on my experience coming from a state school, feel free to PM me.

Edited by dreck
Added the bit about Princeton