Urch Forums

Failing a class

ong

Sorry to make another one of these threads, but I need some advice. Do to some pretty serious personal matters I may end up failing an intro to Computer Science class I'm taking because I haven't been able to get to class. However my school has a policy where if you retake the failed class the next semester whatever grade you get completely replaces the F, but you get a mark next to the grade that indicates you had to retake the class. I'm pretty sure I can get an A in this class if I end up having to retake it because I will be able to actually devote the time needed. My question is how badly will this make my profile look when I apply for grad school? I know that failing Intro to Computer Science isn't as bad as a needed math class, but it still worries me because it's not like it was a History class or something. If it helps the schools I will probably be applying to will be in the 20-50 range.

Thanks for the quick response, I'm hoping that if I get an A in it next semester it will make it a very weak negative signal. I've read that for Law School and Med School they include F grades in your GPA even if your school allows your to retake the class and replace them, is this the case for Econ Phd and master programs? I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

Get an A in the re-take, get As in harder quant classes, and no one will care. At the end of the day the people deciding on your application aren't robots, they are people. Show them you can do and have done hard work at the highest level, and no one will fault you for it.