Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for Chinese Guys -- Apply More Programs for safety?

skidrow

MY PROFILE

Type of Undergrad: B.A. in Econ, B.S. in Stat (double major), top 2 univ. in China

Undergrad GPA: Econ:overall 3.86/4, major 3.95/4; Stat (double major) 4/4

Type of Grad: NONE

Grad GPA: NONE

GRE: 800Q 660V 3.5AWA

Math Courses: Advanced Math I II, Linear Algebra, Probability theory and statistics, mathematical analysis, functions of real variables, probability theory, mathematical statistics, advanced algebra, abstract algebra, applied stochastic process, mathematical modeling, applied multivariate statistics analysis, Straight A+, except Linear algebra and abstract algebra for A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro to Micro A, Intro to Macro A+, Intermediate Micro A, Intermediate Macro A+, Econometrics A, Development Economics A, Mathematical Econ A, Intl' trade A+, Intl' finance A+, game theory A+, Economic Growth A+, Information Econ A-, Urban Econ A-

Other Courses: three computer courses, three physics courses, some economic history and thoughts courses, all A or A-

Letters of Recommendation: NO Big-Name Letter, 2 Econ + 1 Math

Research Experience: Really Limited, RA for one prof

Teaching Experience: NONE

Research Interests: International Trade, and Development Econ, Environment Econ

Applying for:

PhD program: Northwestern, UPenn, UCLA, Michigan, Wisconsin, Rochester, Brown, BU, Maryland, UCSD, Minnesota, JHU, OSU, PSU, UT-Austin, UC-Davis, UIowa, USC, Vandy

MA program: UBC, Toronto, LSE, Duke, etc.

What do you guys think? Do I stand good chance to get into top 30 programs? Should I apply for more safety programs?

Considering my limited research experience, what about those MA programs as a ladder? What about your recommendation of MA programs?

Thanks !!

That looks to me like a pretty good list of schools. You're diversifying your applications a fair bit, which is certainly a wise tactic for international applicants. Your LORs will really make it or break it, since you seem to have all the necessary coursework and grades (except you don't have advanced micro/macro, which could be a problem - I know you're probably not allowed to take grad micro at your school, but you really should do the highest undergrad one that you can). I'm guessing you must be at either Beida or Tsinghua. Both of those have many professors who are well-connected in the US and have placed students at various top-30 schools in the past. Even if they're not "famous", those are the people you want to be getting recommendations from. You also need your writers to be able to speak to your creativity, because often the deal-breaker for Chinese applicants is that they are book-smart but show no evidence of intellectual imagination. With no independent research under your belt, this is going to be especially important.

MA programmes will only help you if you can get recommendations that do more for you than your current ones, since it won't be your coursework that will block admissions. If you can do a research-intensive MA and get letters from well-known people that attest to your "spark", that's helpful. If you just do it to get a better-known school on your transcript, it is probably a waste of time and money. TSU and PKU place enough people in various top schools each year for adcoms to recognise the names.

I wouldn't worry about not having advanced macro/micro on your transcript, unless it was an option and the schools you were applying to know that. they won't just assume there was a higher course for you to take (except for maybe grad classes - but that applies to everyone then).

your background is quite enough for any phd programs in econ. Compared with you, I have to choose several schools as back-up, such as SUNY Binghamton etc. Wish you good luck!

LOL, I wish I could be admitted to some higher ranked programs, but maybe some programs like PSU are more suitable. With limited experience, maybe it is difficult to survive and stand out in top 15 programs. :)