Urch Forums

LOR about my undergrad teaching experience, despite being a current MA student

moneyandcredit

I can't believe it's time to start applying! But here's one question for those in the know:

I'm a graduate student in the CSU system, and I already have a few professors here who will be willing to write me LORs. However, I have some teaching experience at my undergrad school, with one semester of teaching a section of freshman micro. I got along with this professor very well, and I'm sure he'll vouch for my teaching ability: my students entered the course barely knowing algebra, but better than 70% of them got Bs or better in a class with a 50% fail rate. I figure this may be a good signal since I plan on applying mostly to schools ranked low enough that TA positions are more likely than RA positions, at least to start.

Concern: I never took a class from this professor, and I was never his research assistant so he won't be able to comment on my ability to do coursework or research. Could this still be a worthwhile LOR, or should I just mention the teaching experience on my app and ask my *real* professors from my MA program for LORs? I ask only because the LOR it replaces would just be a standard "Did well in class; strong work ethic..." letter from either my Micro or Macro professor, depending on the program.