Urch Forums

Opinions requested!! Domestic Disagreement (on Grad School)

coffee314159265

QUESTION - my significant other is also thinking of applying. they (for greater anonymity) have a very, very similar background and think that we have an existent though slim chance of getting into really high reach schools like Yale, Kellogg's MEDS, and Berkeley. I don't think it's worth applying. We don't have a ton of money to be throwing around for grad apps, and I don't think it's worth it. What are your thoughts?? THANKS

Type of Undergrad: BA Econ from a Top 15 school (Top 30 Econ Ph.D. granting institution)

Undergrad GPA: ~3.7 (~3.8 econ GPA)

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 800Q; 560V; 5.0AWA

Math Courses: Calc I (AP credit); Calc II (B); Calc III (A+); DiffEq (A); Intro Stats (B+??); Linear Algebra (B+); currently taking calc-based Prob/Stats; plan to take (and mention this in apps) Discrete Structures in Spring 2011, Real Analysis in Summer 2011

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro Micro (A-); Intro Macro (A); Interm. Micro (B- to be explained in SOP); Interm. Macro (A); Econometrics (Pass - didn't plan on going to grad school at the time); Industrial Org (A); Financial Modeling (A); Econ History (A-)

Other Courses: N/A

Letters of Recommendation: all econ - one endowed; one assistant; one associate; all have worked with me a lot

Research Experience: prize-winning honors thesis; paper for class; RA for a semester

Teaching Experience: TA for 3 classes

Research Interests: IO, Game Theory, Applied Micro

SOP: pretty standard, explaining bad grades and trying to show I'm smarter than I was when I took them; blab on about my passion for econ

Concerns: lack of math, grad econ classes

Other: no publications

Applying to: UCLA, UCSD, CMU, Michigan, Maryland, USC, UC Irvine, UCLA Anderson. Possibly Duke, BU, Brown. Also applying for the NSF, I doubt I'll get it, mostly applying for signaling purposes.

Edited by coffee314159265

I gotta agree with you. I'm not the most knowledgable but considering past cycles records on TM I don't think you have a shot at top 10 and only a very slim shot at 10-15. Still considering you went to a pretty good undergrad it seems reasonable to try for Duke Michigan and some UCs.

I don't know much but it has been mentioned that for some schools you aren't allowed to apply to more than one graduate school program. Is UCLA cool with that?

Also what are your spouse's areas of interest? It might help us make some suggestions. For example for IO, game theory and applied micro I think there are better safeties than UC Irvine, such as Iowa or ASU, which I think are strong in those.

Thanks so much for the reply!! UCLA doesn't explicitly state whether or not you're allowed to apply for both like Northwestern does. Still something good to look into. I appreciate it!!

**edit** Didn't read the last paragraph, sorry... my spouse is interested in micro theory and decision making. it gets really tricky here - my spouse is currently in a phd program that is in the social sciences with less math than a Ph.D. pgm. if he doesn't get in somewhere worth switching, he'll stay with that.

Edited by coffee314159265
Didn't read the whole reply!

Admissions - Graduate Admissions Information

It's under "How to Apply:" University regulations do not permit an applicant to apply to more than one major, with the exception of already-established concurrent or articulated degrees.

Dang, I know at least NYU will let you apply to both GSAS and Stern (NYU GSAS General Application Policies).

I agree that this is not the best of profiles, so I would not apply to the likes of MIT and Harvard since you are short on money, but I think you have a shot at top 10 schools (just not the top 5). I would spare the money to apply to those three reaches if I were you.