Urch Forums

Low gpa,where should I apply for?

wanderlust72

my GPA is a disaster! general 2.78, I don't even want to calculate the major GPA when I saw my grades today. I got C on two econ classes this semester. my math major gpa is around 3.3, my GRE is above 1450+3.5. Now I think I only need to apply for master programs alone. so i will prefer schools who have both master and phd. it'll be easier to get into their phd program if you do well on the master, right?

more information about me: I got A on econometrics, calculus 1&3 and linear algebra, A- on differential equation, B+ on micro, variable analysis and money & banking. B on probability & statistics.

Which programs are more possible for me? some Canadian programs?

I know it's funny and absolutely unconvincing for committee that I have ability and interest in graduate econ study, but I really do! So whoever has some advice for me, PLEASE!

I APPRECIATE you advice very much.

Thank you!!!

2 years ago one of my friend got acceptance to masters from UIUC', USC and PhD to UCSC with 2.78 GPA. But he had a funding from outside.

I don't need any financial aid, I just want to go to a program has quality as good as possible. Is your friend specially excel at something that the committee found interesting?

Thanks for replying this thread.

Columbia does not have a terminal masters program. Also it is not necessarily true that attending the masters program and doing well will help one gain acceptance into the same school's Ph.D. program. NYU for example is notorious for not admitting their masters students into the Ph.D. program (occasionally they will admit one in a given year).

But I do think your current strategy is the right one given your profile. Masters programs and low ranked Ph.D. programs are your only realistic options at this time. I'd suggest looking at the following list to give you ideas for where to apply:

Alphabetical List of U.S. Graduate Programs in Economics

Best of luck!