Urch Forums

Too late to start?

hopeful0512

Hi guys:

I'm currently a junior in College who just finished my 5th undergraduate semester. I recently started thinking about getting a PhD in econ after graduation, and I was wondering if it's too late to start....I'm an econ/math major and i have taken most of the econ/math classes i've seen on this website. I did well in some but not very well in others (b+ in game theory, b+ in mathematical probability, A in intermediate micro, and A in intermediate macro, A in 2 calculus classes etc), so I'm definitely going to try harder academically next term.

I'm just wondering if it's too late for me to start research? A lot of you guys mentioned that you have done research as an undergraduate? How did you do that? Did you find it with your school/professor? Would it be too late to start as a second semester junior, or even, senior?

How about my senior paper? Can i use my senior paper as a research? Are they usually considered as research by phd programs? (i probably won't go to grad school right after college, so i'm hoping that whatever I do in senior year will still be seen by the programs that i'm applying to)

Thanks so much!

I would definitely start by talking to your professors/advisors. If you have a director of undergraduate studies, ask him/her about getting involved in undergraduate research, namely if they have a senior thesis. Unofficial research projects are also possible, such as doing an independent research project with one your professors. The place to start is talking to people though. (These were the outlets I found at my university, although due to overscheduling/poor planning I was unable to follow through and do a research project.).

Junior year is definitely not too late to start. Many people don't have a chance to start before that. However, keep in mind that mediocre grades in math/econ classes, even if they are early in your undergrad career, can screw up your application to top schools.

Regarding all your other, more specific questions: The search function is your friend. Everything you've asked has been discussed before, so look up the old threads and you will find plenty of useful information.

It's never too late to start! :)

I did an undergraduate in Political Science and worked for a number of years before figuring out that I wanted to do a PhD Economics. So I quit my job, did a MA Economics while taking as much Math as I could, and two years later just completed my first semester of a PhD program.

If you're an econ/math major and you've taken and through calc II and prob. you're about as prepared now as a lot of the MA students. I would think given a year and a half you'll have plenty of time to get acquainted with the necessary math. I would also echo the others in saying it's never too late unless you're in a position to one day compete with me (in which case it's far far too late you better start practicing flipping hamburgers).

P.S. I know some people have sent do files with their applications of stuff they did in their projects so I think it definitely can matter, although, if you are doing it during your senior year I don't see how a half finished project would impress adcoms much.

Not really. :) In my experience, my first taste in economic research was my undergraduate thesis. I enjoyed doing it so much in spite of the stress it caused, that when a prof offered an RA job, I accepted.

I guess you really have to "advertise" yourself - you have to inform your profs that you're interested in doing research. Generally, they're enthusiastic when they hear of students who want to perform academic research. I guess you won't have a hard time.