Urch Forums

My profile, algorithmic game theory, and some questions

theeconomist

Hi!

Before I lose your attention, here's my profile:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 30-40 US News University. Majors in economics and psychology, minor in mathematics.

Undergrad GPA:3.75/4.0, Econ: 3.95/4.0, GPA for last 7 semesters: 3.9+ (I think it was 3.91 or 3.92)

Type of Grad:N/A

Grad GPA:N/A

GRE: 800Q+590V+5

Math Courses: Linear Algebra (C, first semester of college; thinking of retaking this), Multivariable Calc (A), Discrete Math (A, in CS dept), Rings and Fields (A), Probability (A), Stochastic Processes (A+), Real Analysis (A)

Econ Courses: Intro, Trade Theory, Micro, Macro, Stats, Econometrics, Environmental Econ, Financial Econ, Public Sector Econ, Intro to business (counted for the major). All As except A- in Econometrics

Other Courses: Algorithms (A-, in CS dept), Theory of Computation (A, in CS dept)

Letters of Recommendation: One from math professor (got the best grade in his class), two from CS professors (got best grade in class for one of them, currently doing research for another), could probably get some from econ profs but they would not be as strong. I work in econ consulting and could get a rec from one of my managers (includes ex-profs).

Research Experience: Currently doing pretty serious research with a CS professor. Expecting to publish 1-2 papers this year. I currently work in economic consulting (sort of similar to econ research). RA for a finance prof but it was just data entry.

Teaching Experience: N/A

Research Interests: (Algorithmic) Game Theory

Thanks for still reading! My first question is which are the top departments for algorithmic game theory? Given my profile would I have a good chance at getting in to top departments?

Second, more vague, question: I think I would REALLY be interested in studying something closer to operations research, theoretical CS, or maybe applied math, but I don't think I'm competitive for top programs since I didn't get interested until later in college and didn't take enough math classes. I'm thinking that maybe algorithmic game theory would be an area that's similar enough that I could really enjoy it, and I might have a better chance at getting in to top programs given my econ background. Do you think this is accurate? Secondly, even if I could get into some excellent programs, is this a tremendously stupid idea given that I think I may be more interested in other disciplines?

Thanks!

I'm no expert, but as a fellow game theorist (albeit more from the behavioral side) I can give you my perspective. You certainly have a solid profile, and would have a good shot at getting into top 10 or 20 econ program, but it doesn't sound like that's the best fit for you. It seems that most game theory used in economics is used on the applied side, such as mechanism design, experimental, behavioral, and decision theory. For a good illustration of this, many top schools have their (economic) game theorists in their business schools rather than their economics department (Northwestern Kellogg is a good example of this). An exception to this among the top schools is NYU.

But I don't get the sense that this is really that close to that type of game theory you like, the CS heavy variety. I'm afraid I can't provide any guidance on schools that are good in those areas, but you certainly seem to have enough math to not be rejected out of hand, and publishing CS papers would go a long way to mitigate any perceived holes in background. So why not cast a wide net? Research programs in both CS/Applied Math and Economics, then apply to a mix of programs. But also keep an eye on whether the work in a program is interesting to you. There's no point in going to an exceptional program if you don't have a passion for the work, or for the sort of career it is preparing you for.

Yeah, it seems pretty silly to go into a PhD in something that isn't your passion. Also, even if you were just focusing on where you'd get in, my hunch is that you'd find your most natural home at a CS department.

If you do have dual interests in hardcore CS theory and something resembling game theory, two great CS departments that come to mind for me are CMU and the CUNY graduate centre. Of course, what you consider a "top department" (and how important that is relative to a good fit) is something only you can answer.