Urch Forums

Best Beginner's Econ Readings

For Liberty

Hi everyone! I'm TA'ing and Introductory Economics course next semester. The honor's section is the same as the regular section as far as the lectures go but they have a separate discussion group one night a week, which I am solely in charge of. My professor asked me to come up with some articles to have them read (about 5-10) and told me that I could handle the syllabus as far as how to grade them on the discussions.

I was looking for two things from you guys:

1. Can you guys give me some ideas on what articles would be good to have Honor's Freshman Econ students read (goal being, hooking them on econ and also challenging them).

2. What sort of advice do you guys have to give on ways to grade them, i.e. participation grades, quizzes, guided essays, etc.

I'm really just looking for some healthy conversation here. I have some ideas but would like to open it up to you all as well. Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JEP (the Journal of Economic Perspectives) is a great starting point for readings for undergraduates.

Another decent assignment is to have them find a news article, then draw the graphs for the economic principles at play in the article. (So if the article is about rising costs of plane tickets, have them show a shift in the demand curve or whatever.)

Good suggestions above. One person that of course you know well is F. A. Hayek. I think his writing in Hayek, The Use of Knowledge in Society | Library of Economics and Liberty is essential for an understanding in economics and why markets are the only mechanism that can articulate peoples' utility curves (versus a social planner's inability to know the preferences of everyone and make a judgment for them).

Sticking to some of those classic authors, like Hayek, and then mingling more current writing I think is the optimal strategy.

If i truly did not believe economics can explain all aspects of human behavior, I would not be studying it.

Surely you don't believe that economics can explain every facet of human behavior? That's just silly I think. The way I see it, economics is a tool, or rather a framework, for structuring problems and thus can aid in the process of suggesting reasonable/plausible solutions. Don't forget that the field of economics has 0 laws and 0 facts.

If i truly did not believe economics can explain all aspects of human behavior, I would not be studying it.

That's a completely silly, unrealistic assumption that only supports the common perception that economists live in a fantasy world. Understanding the limitations of economics and the value of other fields can actually enhance your research.

edit: lol @ SlowLearner using same adjective :)

• Like 1

While I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say that economics can explain every facet of human behavior (neuroeconomists would have a field day on this statement), I do believe that it is quite possible to use economics to help us understand every facet of human behavior.

The distinction is subtle, but it's there.

• Like 1

Good suggestions above. One person that of course you know well is F. A. Hayek. I think his writing in Hayek, The Use of Knowledge in Society | Library of Economics and Liberty is essential for an understanding in economics and why markets are the only mechanism that can articulate peoples' utility curves (versus a social planner's inability to know the preferences of everyone and make a judgment for them).

Sticking to some of those classic authors, like Hayek, and then mingling more current writing I think is the optimal strategy.

I am not so sure you want to indoctrinate students with Hayek! I was almost a blind follower of libertarian philosophy after my freshman seminar on classical liberalism. I revisited many of those issues later and I am glad I am able to look into things more subjectively.

Here's a problem I have now that I didn't have when I created the post. I gave my teacher a lists of readings that I wanted to cover and thought that they covered a wide range of topics. He was happy with the list but informed me that since BB&T is giving us money that we should really put Atlas Shrugged on there. I think that since it is an introductory economics course their time would be better served reading something with less ideology (a sentiment I'm sure most of you will agree with). Do you guys have any suggestions of ways we could compromise, i.e. good points as to why we shouldn't have them read this relative to something else. For that "something else" I originally had down "The Worldly Philosophers" (thank you Mankiw and RunningEconomy) and he opted against this. (Side note: my self-interest is getting in the way as well; I really do not want to spend a discussion on Atlas Shrugged)

I read the whole of Atlas Shrugged after finishing The Fountainhead sometime in my junior year. It took a while before I got through it since I'm a slow reader. I don't know how discussing it could fit in an introductory class since it's more suited for a reading group. As a compromise, youmight want to let them watch the film instead. It'll probably come out this April. At least, that's how the Capitalism and its Critics class at MIT OCW discussed The Fountainhead. But of course you'll need to supplement it with some readings on objectivism.