Urch Forums

New Profile Evaluation

PeakOil

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, however, I have been an active reader of the forums for a while now and I am very interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in Economics. I am always wanting to learn more and I have a strong desire to become a researcher in the field, specifically in macroeconomics and energy economics. That being said, I am not in the process of applying to any schools, just trying to get an idea as to what schools I would be able to get accepted to.

As you can see below in my profile I am lacking some math courses, I dont have any LOR's lined up yet, I dont have an SOP yet, and I am in the process of obtaining some research experience.

Any advice as to what schools I could have a shot at I would greatly appreciate. :)

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Psychology from Top 20 U.S. Public University

Undergrad GPA: 3.17/4.00

Type of Grad: M.S. Economics from UNC Charlotte

Grad GPA: 3.50/4.00 (5 courses left to take)

GRE: 710Q, 500V, 3.5A

Math Courses: Calculus I (B), Calculus II (A), Statistics (B)

Grad Econ Courses: Microeconomics (A), Macroeconomics (B), Econometrics (B)

Letters of Recommendation: None yet

Research Experience: None

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Macroeconomics, Energy Economics

SOP: None yet

3 things about my profile I believe I can improve:

1. Grad GPA: I still have 5 courses left to take in my program and I believe I can end with around a 3.75.

2. GRE Quantitative score: I have only taken the GRE one time and this was right after undergrad when I was not in a "mathematical" state of mine. I think I should be able to improve my Q score if I take the GRE again. I am hoping for a 750 at least.

3. Math courses: Calculus III ?, Real Analysis, and Differential Equations are math courses I know that I need to take. Maybe there are some other ones as well ? - Taking these math courses will not be a problem for me.

Thanks for the help,

Guest _nanashi

Talk to your professors about where to go at the end of your program. Taking Cal III and Linear Algebra and Real Analysis will help you immensely. If you can end with a 3.75, have some solid letters, get your GRE to 780 and do well in those 3 math courses, I think you may be able to get an offer from top 35-50.

If not you'll probably have to settle for a school outside the top 60.

You should also take a course in probability, if your statistics course didn't go into it in depth. You really need to do well(as many As as you can, preferably all) in all the rest of your courses to be competitive in top 50 schools. A B in a course probably sends a neutral or slightly negative signal, although this is only speculation on my part. If you can do well in your courses and secure some solid recommendations, then I think you'll have a nice chance at the top 30-40.