Urch Forums

Phone interview

eds

I got a phone interview tomorrow at noon for a scholarship/admission program I applied. According to the email it will take approximately 20minutes. Does anybody have a similar experience?How to handle the situation and what type of questions do they usually ask. Any advise will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you

eds

I got a phone interview last year, for PhD in Finance though. I was interviewed by two professors. They asked about 1) why PhD in Finance and why this university? 2) what is my research interest and why I find it fascinating? and 3) what I would like to ask them? Those are the main questions that I still remember. Wish you luck!
  • Like 1

I got a phone interview last year, for PhD in Finance though. I was interviewed by two professors. They asked about 1) why PhD in Finance and why this university? 2) what is my research interest and why I find it fascinating? and 3) what I would like to ask them? Those are the main questions that I still remember. Wish you luck!

Similar questions as mine three interviews this year. Eds, I guess you can find more information in the Business sub-forum, though no idea whether there will be a different from your interview.

• Like 1

Yea, you should certainly be prepared to answer those basic qustions, why a PhD, why in that topic, and why that program. And then having questions for them is always good, that's come up in every interview that I have ever had, academic and otherwise. Also, be prepared to talk about any research projects that you've worked on, or even papers that you've written.
  • Like 1

I dont really have advice as i have never done a phone interview. Just wanted to wish you good luck. Also i think the most important part of any interview (phone, skype, personal) is just to try be yourself and try not to over think everything and sound like what you "think" they want to hear. All the best to you.
  • Like 1

Done. Initially they did a presentation of the program and then they made me questions on my CV and background .I was asked to talk about my research interests and my ideas for PhD research. Since I am a macro guy I was asked my position on the financial criss, the future of DSGE models and other ongoing research questions .In some point they tried to put put me under pressure by entering in a debate with me whether I am a New Keynesian or a liberal and my views in particular aspects by I took a very diplomatic position by saying that I still need to define my self and to clarify my ideas.They will let me know within the next 2 weeks about the outcome but my understanding from the tone of the voice is that they are interesting in my application as at the end they named some people who are working in my field and they have an acquittance with.

Done. Initially they did a presentation of the program and then they made me questions on my CV and background .I was asked to talk about my research interests and my ideas for PhD research. Since I am a macro guy I was asked my position on the financial criss, the future of DSGE models and other ongoing research questions .In some point they tried to put put me under pressure by entering in a debate with me whether I am a New Keynesian or a liberal and my views in particular aspects by I took a very diplomatic position by saying that I still need to define my self and to clarify my ideas.They will let me know within the next 2 weeks about the outcome but my understanding from the tone of the voice is that they are interesting in my application as at the end they named some people who are working in my field and they have an acquittance with.

The very fact that they asked if you are a Keynesian or a liberal makes it pretty clear the interview was in Europe! Are you not set for Yale (or Columbia or Chicago)?

The very fact that they asked if you are a Keynesian or a liberal makes it pretty clear the interview was in Europe! Are you not set for Yale (or Columbia or Chicago)?

Yes it was for a scholarship program in my country