Urch Forums

Official NSF Sweat Thread 2011

EconForeThought

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I applied, but I wrote 90% of the essays the day before the deadline. I found out late so I did it just for signaling purposes. Furthermore, I found a MAJOR typo in the first sentence of the research proposal, so I'm pretty sure I won't even get honorable mention. I may not even check when the results come out.

But good luck to everyone!

I don't think there's any reason to worry. The truth is, from what I've been told by people who have served on NSF evaluation committees, there is a lot of randomness in the selection process. In most cases, NSF fellowships simply crowd out departmental or university fellowships, so often decisions are made not completely based on merit, but on how much the applicant "needs" the funding compared to others. People I know who have applied in the past have gotten fairly disparate reviews, indicating that your fate is largely based on those reviewing your application.

This is not to say that people who win an NSF are not deserving. However, if you don't, it doesn't mean you shouldn't have won, or wouldn't have won if different reviewers read your materials. Since in some ways, the NSF is a lottery, best of luck to those who applied.

In most cases, NSF fellowships simply crowd out departmental or university fellowships, so often decisions are made not completely based on merit, but on how much the applicant "needs" the funding compared to others.

Interesting - are you saying that NSF evaluators are aware of whether an applicant has a university fellowship already, or that once someone gets an NSF their university fellowship goes to someone else?

Oh, and I applied to the interdisciplinary field as mine was a mix of engineering, biology, and economics. I wonder if the odds are better there or in the straight econ field.

According to the professors that I talked to who gave my recommendations, this is usually not the case. They suggested that I stress the potential for interdisciplinary gains in my proposal but to only actually submit the proposal to a single field. They said that you usually have a better chance this way. Take in mind that this was from their experience with NSF grants in general, not the graduate fellowship specifically.

According to the professors that I talked to who gave my recommendations, this is usually not the case. They suggested that I stress the potential for interdisciplinary gains in my proposal but to only actually submit the proposal to a single field. They said that you usually have a better chance this way. Take in mind that this was from their experience with NSF grants in general, not the graduate fellowship specifically.

Hmm... interesting. Oh well, I don't think it's going to win either way. What was your topic ARE?

Yeah, I'm hoping for an honorable mention for my efforts :D. My topic involved using hedonic sorting models that include rules for forward-looking agents and moving costs to first evaluate past air quality policy changes and then calibrate it using empirical data to provide a tool for simulation of future policies for air quality regulation that can assess total welfare effects and break down to demographic (namely income) welfare effects. What about you (and any others who want to share their topic)?

Wow that sounds interesting. I'd say economics was probably the least involved of any of the fields in my topic. Being from a bio sci background with some engineering knowlege, I chose to focus on those two to exploit my comparative advantage. My proposal involved using winery waste as biomass for a number of conversion processes, including microbial conversion, combustion, anaerobic digestion, and fuel cells. Also, mentioned how these technologies could be used by cooperatives etc.

Interesting - are you saying that NSF evaluators are aware of whether an applicant has a university fellowship already, or that once someone gets an NSF their university fellowship goes to someone else?

There's no way to know whether evaluators know for certain whether an applicant has a university fellowship or TA-ship. But there are programs in which every person admitted has full funding. I also think that many of the evaluators know the typical funding packages offered by various university departments (for instance, Chicago is known to extend a lot of unfunded offers, and many state schools are less generous than private ones).

Of course, there's no way to know for sure since it's a black box. This is just what I've gathered from people I've spoken to.

^ But the NSF committee doesn't know where an applicant will be matriculating at the time NSF decisions are made, so how can that information enter the deliberation process? (Or is my assumption misguided?)

Those who are not already in graduate school do specified a proposed program, although it often works out that people attend programs different from those they specify.

For those who apply after having started graduate school, the institution is known.

Cool. Out of curiosity, what makes you so confident about him winning? Where's your friend going to grad school, by the way?

Because he's my friend, the aura rubs off. He got into a few top programs, if I were to wager I'd say most likely he'll be at HBS bus econ in the fall, but who knows, the NSF might change that.

Anyone out there waiting to see if they won an NSF but was shut out of all their grad schools?

That's the situation I find myself in, which concerns me because one of the rules for accepting the award was admission into a grad school....

Anyone have any advice or input?

Anyone out there waiting to see if they won an NSF but was shut out of all their grad schools?

That's the situation I find myself in, which concerns me because one of the rules for accepting the award was admission into a grad school....

Anyone have any advice or input?

Someone will definitely take you if you get NSF. No decision is irreversible.