Urch Forums

Early Profile EVAL

BinLadin

I just saw the procrastination thread and realized that how unmotivated I have been this year! So I need to get some advices.

I had a main account, but for privacy reason, I registered a new one to post this:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Public, top 20 math, top 15 econ

Undergrad GPA: 3.93

GRE: 650+800+4.0

Math Courses(undergrad-level): CalcI,III,IV(Special Exam), CalcII(A), Kind of Intro Proof(A), Applied Linear Algebra(A), Topology(A), ODE(A), Differential Geometry(A), Probability(A)

Math Courses(grad-level): General Algebra I,II(A,A), Real Analysis(A,A), Complex Analysis(B), Numerical Analysis(A), Applied MethodsI,II(A,A), Functional AnalysisI,II(A,A), PDE or Algebraic Geometry(FALL), Stochastic Processes(FALL)

Econ Courses(undergrad-level): Intro Micro,Macro(A,A), Intermediate Micro,Macro(A,A), A random field course(A)

Econ Courses(grad-level,each is half-semester): Micro TheoryI,II,III,IV(A,A,A,A), Math Econ(A), IO(FALL), Metrics(FALL)

Other Courses:C++(A), Phd Asset Pricing(B+), A trivial stat(A), PhysI,II,III(A,A,A)

Letters of Recommendation: One math (thesis supervisor, one directed study). One well-known econ (thesis supervisor, one independent study). One possibly well-known econ (summer research). All three are senior professors, and they are very very nice people. I am not familiar with the fame of economists, so I can only guess it according to IDEAS ranking: the first one is top 5% and the second one is top 6%.

Research Experience: Attended an NSF math REU and had a peer-coauthored publication in algebraic combinatorics. Currently working on math thesis in optimal stopping, and also a potential econ one in firm growth this summer.

Teaching Experience: N/A

Research Interests: Applied Micro, Possibly metrics and finance. Also open to public econ and political economy.

SOP: N/A

Concerns: A couple B's(had killer profs). Lack of econ experience, because I was going to apply for math phd. Not sure about strongness of LORs. I am at a place famous for macro, but I have nothing to do with macro.

Other: A couple math contest awards. International student. I didn't take undergrad real analysis.

Applying to: Most of top10 + my undergrad institution.

Edited by BinLadin

Possibly I am also going to apply to 3-4 finance programs. Will the B+ on Asset Pricing hurt a lot? I had zero knowledge of finance and metrics when I took it. The instructor was a fresh AP and made the course extremely confusing. I completely self-studied the textbook but still screwed up the final.

Nice profile, but I think people are being a little too optimistic as far as getting funded offers everywhere so I'll take a more skeptical approach. I'm guessing that you are from Wisc-Madison(ignore the following if you are not), and while it may be a top 20 in graduate math and econ, it does not draw the caliber of undergraduates as other top 20 schools. Although people don't like to say this, if the caliber of the student body is lower, a good GPA means less because competition isn't as tough, no matter what the quality of the institution is. Secondly, one of the major factors in the praise for your profile are your graduate math and economics grades. Madison gives about 70% A's in graduate level Math and 50% in graduate level econ. And again, although Madison is a top 15 economics program,the EJR meme "The drop-off in input quality when you leave 02138/9 is pretty steep, and it must be even steeper when you look past the top 6-10." rings true.

Thanks for the encourage! I think I should focus more on my research now. I kind of wasted too much time on unrelated things in the past months.

To Melbum: I am from a similar place. Yes, competition is kind of weak here, compared to top private schools. But there's nothing I can do to this. I could not go to any better place due to family budget. The percentage of A's in grad courses is not that high as in Wisc though (about 30%-40% I guess). Yes, pretty easy if you put in time.

To mathemagician: My school isn't using quater system. I apologize if you find my ID distasteful. I couldn't think of any other username at that moment...Sorry. But there's no reason for me to mock Mr. Binladin. I am not American.

Edited by BinLadin

From what I have seen, the research caliber of the institution is more important than the level of the freshman intake for PhD admissions anyway. The poor admits for people from LAC's seems to highlight this trend. I was just trying to be as pessimistic as possible, because I know that the top 5 can afford to put a profile in the reject pile for what may seem like petty reasons. There are people from my undergraduate institution (Australia) with similar grades who would not stand a chance at the top 5, even though the absolute cutoff for admissions is the 96th percentile. Of course for all I know, you might have got similar grades somewhere with tougher competitions, but why take the chance?

Also, make sure to improve your English for your applications. I know that someones forum posts aren't exactly a prime indicator of someone writing ability, but you do make a few common mistakes.

Agree with mathemagician on the name. It's not funny! What do you mean you couldn't think of any other username?? It's not brain surgery! I understand maybe something is lost due to cultural differences, but hey, in this culture, many people will find it offensive.

in this culture, many people will find it offensive.

Can we drop this? I mean, is this possibly the least important thing anybody could have fixated on?

Oh hey if you missed it, there is also an extremely talented guy asking for advice on his future.

Edited by longnameislonge