Urch Forums

Roll Call 2012

whatdoido

I think its time to start the Roll Call for 2012. After reading last year's roll call introduction, it seems as though it is easiest for untitled to scrape the profiles for analysis if all three sections of the GRE are reported here, and the GPA is reported as first on a 4-point scale, and then in your native scale. So, let's get it going, here's the template.

EDIT: Also, let's do our best to keep this thread clean of everything except profiles.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE:

Math Courses:

Econ Courses (grad-level):

Econ Courses (undergrad-level):

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation:

Research Experience:

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests:

SOP:

Concerns:

Other:

Applying to:

Edited by whatdoido

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Dual Major in Economics/Mathematics from Top 10ish LAC (Claremont McKenna). Transfer from a top public after one year, Summer Coursework at an ivy, top 15 national university, and another top public.

Undergrad GPA: 3.85 (Math: 3.90, Economics: 3.85)

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: Q:780 V:570 AWA:6.0 (second attempt)

Math Courses: Calculus I (A+), Calculus II (B+), Calculus III (A), Linear Algebra (A), Differential Equations (A-), Introduction to Analysis (A), Analysis & Optimization (A), Probability (Fall 2011), Principles of Real Analysis I (Fall 2011)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Advanced Microeconomics I (A), Advanced Microeconomics II (A): The first semester course used MWG and covered consumer theory/producer theory/GE topics. The second semester course used half the class to cover Gibbons' Game Theory, and the second half covered Contract Theory using Bolton and Dewatripont, as well as Berkeley lecture notes. Both were Ph.D. level courses.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Principles of Microeconomics (A), Principles of Macroeconomics (A), Experimental Economics (B+), Intermediate Microeconomics (A-), Intermediate Macroeconomics (A-), Economics Statistics (A), Econometrics (A-), International Trade (A),

Other Courses: Not sure what to say here, but I took a year of Chinese (A/A), and a Philosophy Seminar/Tutorial double course (A-/A-)

1. Adviser. TA'd his UG Advanced Microeconomics class. I will be doing my thesis under him and have spent this summer working on a research project for him.

2. Advanced Microeconomics I-II Professor. Took both my Ph.D. Micro classes and have discussed my graduate school plans with him.

3. Econ Stats Professor. I have discussed my plans with him extensively and did well in his class.

The first two letters should be very good, and the third should be at least solid. All have been very willing to help, and all have received Ph.Ds from top programs.

Research Experience: Summer research project in Health Economics for adviser. Will continue this project as my senior thesis. The plan is to submit as a co-author.

Teaching Experience: TA'd undergraduate Advanced Microeconomics.

Research Interests: Micro Theory, International Trade, Applied Micro (very open)

SOP: I haven't written in yet, but will be good.

Concerns: Typical concerns of a liberal arts applicant. Not really sure what to think or expect.

Other: Again, not really sure what to put here. Unlikely it's relevant, but President of Model UN for two years, and lots of Model UN awards.

Applying to: Still to be finalized, but I plan to apply to all of the top 20, a couple programs outside the top 20, and LSE MsC EME. I will also apply to a couple b-schools. (Will edit once finalized).

Best of luck to everyone! Will be quite a ride.

Edited by TA89

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 35 Undergraduate Institution

Undergrad GPA: 3.75 (3.90 Math, 3.95 Econ)

Type of Grad: NA

Grad GPA: NA

GRE: Q 800 V 510 AWA 4.5 (1st try) , Q 800 V 650 AWA 4.5 (2nd try)

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A-,A,A), Linear Algebra (B+), Diff Eqs. (A), Probability (A), Mathematical Statistics (A+), Intro. to Proofs (A), Intro. to Real Analysis (A+), PhD-Level Real Analysis (Fall 2011)

Econ Courses (grad-level): PhD Econometrics II (Fall 2011)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro (A), Micro/Macro (A,A), Intro. to Stats (A-), Econometrics (A), Labor Economics (A), Global Economics (A), Economy of China (A)

Other Courses: A bunch of law, psychology, philosophy, random

Letters of Recommendation: One from MIT PhD, well published in top journals - should be extremely strong. One from Harvard PhD - Took two courses and got A's, spoke about thesis ideas and graduate school, should be good. Final one is unsure, but hopefully from future thesis advisor. Otherwise, last will be from Mathematics Professor, took two courses, A and A+.

Research Experience: 1 Year RA for Professor, added in as coauthor, Thesis

Teaching Experience: TA for Statistics for Economics

Research Interests: Labor Economics, Econometrics (very unsure)

SOP: Almost done, fairly standard

Concerns: No PhD Micro/Micro

Other:

Applying to: All top 20, plus NSF. Will also apply to top Canadian MA's (Queen's, UofT, UBC)

Good luck to everyone!

Edited by whatdoido
  • Like 1

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Double major: Math/Econ from a large state school -- top 100 econ.

Undergrad GPA: 3.9 (4.0 Math/Econ)

GRE: Q: 800 V: 500 AWA: 4.5

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A, A+, A+), Intro. to Proofs (A), Linear Algebra (A), Numerical Methods (A), Diff. Eqs (A), Intermediate Stat. Methods (A), Real Analysis (Fall 2011), Topology (Fall 2011), Probability Theory (Fall 2011).

Econ Courses (grad-level): Public II (Audit), Math-Econ (A-), Econometric Theory (A), Micro Theory (Fall 2011), Monetary (Fall 2011) -- all PhD level.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Econ Stats (A), The Econ System (A), Principles Micro (A), Principles Macro (A), Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A+), Regional Econ (A+), American Econ History (A).

Other Courses: Symbolic Logic (A).

1. PhD MIT, professor at top 5. I have been his RA for a year -- should be extremely strong.

2. PhD MIT (Math-- specialized in game theory). He is my math thesis advisor and I have taken one class with him -- should be very solid.

3. PhD at a Top 100. He was my PhD math econ and PhD econometric theory professor -- should be very strong.

Research Experience: RA for >3 years. Finishing my math thesis in game theory now.

Teaching Experience: TA for a principles course. Tutor in math and economics for over a year.

Research Interests: Monetary, macro theory, mechanism design.

SOP: Haven't started yet - will be pretty standard.

Concerns: Strength of undergrad institution, I got a B in trig. my freshman year (doesn't count towards math major GPA), and a B in an intro physics my soph. year.

Other:

Applying to: Harvard and HBS; MIT; Stanford and GSB; Chicago and Booth; Princeton; UC Berkeley; Yale; Columbia; NYU and Stern; Northwestern; Penn; UCSD; Michigan; Boston Univ.; UCLA; Minnesota.; plus NSF.

Best of luck to everyone -- but not too much.

Fingers Crossed!

Edited by MathEcon12

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BS Management with a major in Economics with and minor in math not very well recognized state school with no PhD program

Undergrad GPA: 3.83/4.0

Type of Grad:NA

Grad GPA:NA

GRE: Q800/V700/Awa 5.5

Math Courses: Calc I and II, Multivariate calculus (Calc III), calculus for business and economics, linear algebra, differential equations, Intoduction to abstract math (Proof based class which is a pre-requisite for real analysis), Discrete mathematics, and Mathematics for economists. All As except for calculus for business on which I have A-. The mathematics for economists was a class I took with the Economics head department on which he gave some brief inside about kuhn-tucker, implicit function, separating hyperplane, fixed point, envelope theorem which he told me are some basic things covered in grad school.

Econ Courses: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, Econometrics, Managerial economics, Money and banking, Environmental economics, Economic theory, Economic forecasting. All As except for Micro on which I got a B and econometrics with a A-

Other Courses: 2 stat courses, one calculus based and the other not, and a bunch of management class, mainly finance and accounting related

Letters of Recommendation: 3 economics professors who have not national recognition. 2 of them should be strong and I was a research assistant for one of them during one semester

Research Experience: Did one semester research assistant for one teacher and also did 2 summer of a research school program, one was with economic variables and the other not so much

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Labor economics, monetary policy, industrial organization, and behavioral economics

SOP: Well, I will be 32 once I start the program and I managed to finish a degree with success and I also took many more classes that I should have, so my SOP should be strong

Concerns: My university is practically unknown. I am part of the Purdue system, but is a satellite school. I also don't have real analysis under my belt.

Applying to: A bunch but I am aiming towards Brown, Boston College, Suffolk, Northeastern, UMass and a couple more, I will not apply inside the top 10 though. I know programs are different, but i have to live near Boston

Good luck to everyone, I hope I can post my admission to any program later on

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Omnibus Entry Science at University College Dublin 2003-2006

1st Year: Computer Science, Pass Maths, Geology, Mathematical Physics

2nd Year: Pass Maths, Statistics, Computer Science

3rd Year: 8x Statistics, 2x Maths

Undergrad GPA:

42.8% (3rd Year)

Type of Grad:

Higher Diploma in Statistics at University College Dublin 2007-2008

MA Qualifier in Economics at University College Dublin 2010-2011

MA in Economics at University College Dublin 2011-2012

Grad GPA:

HDip: 3.08 out of 4.2

MA Qualifier: 4.17

MA: No grades yet

GRE:

Booked for the 29th of August

Math Courses:

1st Science:

Pass Maths 67.6%

Mathematical Physics 50% (repeat exam)

2nd Science:

Pass Maths 74.2%

Statistics 57.1%

3rd Science Maths:

Graph Theory 66%

Combinatorial Mathematics 18%

3rd Science Stats:

Statistical Theory I Probability 83%

Survey Sampling 62%

Statistical Theory II Statistical Inference 45%

Statistical Theory III Bayesian Statistics and Stochastic Processes 44%

Statistics and Visualization 40%

Data Analysis and Statistical Software 40%

Statistical Methods II 17%

Statistical Methods I 13%

Higher Diploma in Statistics:

Probability Distributions A+

Survey Sampling A+

Biostatistics A+

Linear Models I A

Statistics and Visualization A-

Statistical Inference I B+

Actuarial Statistics I C-

Design of Experiments D+

Linear Models II D

Statistical Inference II D

Categorical Data Analysis D-

Actuarial Statistics II E© (pass by compensation)

Econ Courses (grad-level):

Haven't started yet but
these are the courses

MA in Economics:

Semester 1:

Quantitative Techniques

Research Skills

Macroeconomics

Microeconomics

Econometrics

Semester 2:

Presentation Skills

Welfare Economics and Public Finance

Advanced Macroeconomics

Advanced Microeconomics

Advanced Econometrics

Summer:

Dissertation

Econ Courses (undergrad-level):

MA Qualifier in Economics:

Advanced Macroeconomics A+

Advanced Microeconomics A+

Applied Econometrics I A+

Financial Economics A+

Game Theory A+

International Monetary Economics A

Other Courses:

1st Science:

Computer Science 88%

Geology 55.6%

2nd Science:

Computer Science 45.6% (repeat exam)

I was the most participative student in each of my economics modules so I think the letters will be good.

PhD Georgetown, American(?)

Lecturer for macro. Stopped me after a lecture and said if I need a reference I should ask him. After that I spotted a misstake in one of his problem set solutions and got 100% on the module, which can only impress more (A+ = 76.67%). Nice guy.

BA Toulouse, PhD Autònoma de Barcelona, French

Lecturer for micro, MA micro and MA research skills, also director of MA. Asked a question and offered to write a reference if anyone could answer the question correctly, which I did. Really nice person. Got 97.9% in her module.

Thinking of asking another young lecturer - PhD Oregon, American

Got 91.5% in his game theory module. Another friendly lecturer.

Research Experience:

None

Teaching Experience:

Some martial arts teaching experience.

Research Interests:

How the money supply (reserves at the central bank and transaction account liabilities of commercial banks) enters circulation (via spending by the CB and spending by the commercial banks) and what would happen if the only entity that could spend additions to the money supply were the government. So, a real-time 100% reserve requirement on transaction accounts and no more central bank operations other than crediting the government's account, something
like this

Other interest is
Modern Monetary Theory

SoP:

Maybe something about how my work could reduce private and government indebtedness? I don't have conventional interestes so I'm worried about how to write a SoP without putting adcomms off.

Concerns:

Whether I would get into a better programme if I were to wait till next autumn when I will have all the grades from my masters, a dissertation, and possibly some useful experience lined up for the gap year. I'll turn 29 in March 2012.

How I'm going to do in the masters, especially the dissertation.

The writing sections of the GRE - I'm slow to decide exactly how I want to say something and slow at typing.

My unconventional interests.

Other:

I'm Irish. I moved around Europe when I was young. Rome 3 years, Dublin 3 years, The Hague 4 years, Dublin 2 years, Vienna 5 years. That said, I really only know one language (maybe a little bit of German).

Applying to:

Not sure, suggestions welcome.

Thinking about the European University Institute and MIT (because I'd regret it if I didn't even ask).

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Math, Econ Double major, Top 10 University

Undergrad GPA: 3.9 (3.8+ Math, 3.9+ Econ)

Type of Grad: NA

Grad GPA: NA

GRE: Q 800 V 800 AWA 5

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A+,A+,A), Linear Algebra (A+), ODE (A), PDE(A+) Probability (A-), Grad Computing I-II (A,A), Grad Algebra I (B+), Grad Analysis I-II (B+,B+)

Econ Courses (grad-level): PhD Econometrics I (Fall 2011), PhD Micro I (Fall 2011)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro (A), Micro I-II (A,A), Econometrics (A), Finance (A-)

Other Courses: nothing special

1. Research advisor who I did (for entire summer) and will be doing IO stuff with, took undergrad metrics with

2. Research advisor who I did (summer) and will be doing applied micro stuff with

3. plan to get one from one of the PhD econ prof next semester

Research Experience: several projects in math, econ, pubpol, thesis

Teaching Experience: math TA for 2yrs

Research Interests: IO, applied micro, metrics, finance (not sure, but really I'm open to everything right now)

SOP: Almost done, fairly standard

Concerns: low grades in RA

Other:

Applying to: All top 10 Econ+some 10-20, most top 10 finance, a couple MA in econ/stats

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Economics, English minor -- middling LAC

Undergrad GPA: 3.6/4.0

Type of Grad: MS Economics ("transitioned" from the PHD program) -- Top 50 Econ, Public

Grad GPA: 3.2/4.0

GRE: 760Q, 540V, 4.5AWA (retaking in September)

Math Courses: Calc I-III (A, B+, B), Discrete Math (A), Linear Algebra (A-), Intro Stats (A-), Math Stats I-II (C+, B-)

Econ Courses (grad-level): PHD Micro I-II (B, B), PHD Macro I-II (C+, C+), PHD Econometric Theory I (B), PHD Microeconometrics (A), PHD Env/Resource Econ I-II (A, Audit), PHD Agri Production/Supply (A).

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Prin Micro (B), Prin Macro (A), Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A), Environmental Econ (A), Public Finance (A), International Econ (A), Market Experiments (A), Econometrics I (A), Money & Banking (A-).

Other Courses: Public Policy, Environmental Policy, English

1 -- excellent; MS thesis co-chair, PHD Env/Res I Prof, very well-published in Env/Res Econ.

2 -- excellent; MS thesis co-chair, PHD Env/Res II Prof, very well-published in Env/Res Econ.

3 -- excellent/stellar; UG adviser; UG Prof for 3 courses; served as his TA for Env Econ, Intro to Micro, Market Experiments; publishes 0.2 papers/year.

(4 -- good/very good; summer RA adviser, very well-published in Env/Res Econ)

Writers #1 & #2 will stick their necks out for me.

Research Experience:

MS Thesis: will be sliced, diced, and submitted at top/mid field journal this fall (co-authored with LOR writers 1 & 2).

UG Honors Thesis: not all that exciting in retrospect.

RA work: under LOR writer #4, led to individually authored paper published in conference proceedings.

Current Employment: light econometric modeling, data-driven consulting work, lots of white papers on energy stuff.

Working Paper: reduced-form analysis of an environmental topic (shooting for applied/technical field journal, co-authors are engineering/policy folk)

3 conference presentations.

Teaching Experience: TA for 3 semesters in UG: Prin Micro, Environmental Economics, Market Experiments.

Research Interests: Environmental & Resource Economics (specifically water, energy, non-market valuation, & political economy of environmental regulation), Applied Econometrics (Bayesian modelling, discrete choice methods).

SOP: Colorful & focused. Will discuss: 1) my somewhat unfortunate path to reapplying, 2) the strengths of my application, 3) my experience (and re-motivation) from writing an MS thesis, 4) my general and specific research interests matched explicitly with active faculty, and 5) my strong preference to live in Berkeley, CA.

Concerns: Failed macro prelim, C+'s in PHD Macro, unimpressive math grades.

Other: External fellowship for graduate school; additional university fellowship; passed micro prelim; was admitted at top 50 econ (and top 5 ag econ) PhD programs without having taken graduate courses, with loose research interests, with less research experience, and with less impressive LORs a few admissions cycles ago and I will be reapplying to some of those programs. Internships at an investment bank, consulting firm, and university during UG. Economics columnist for UG student newspaper.

Applying to: UCSD, Duke, UCSB, Arizona State, Wyoming, Berkeley (ARE), Cornell (AEM), Maryland (AREc), Davis (ARE), Wisconsin (AAE), Minnesota (AE), Ohio State (AED), Duke (UPEP/Nicholas), Yale (FES), UCSB (Bren). (Top choices, within rational expectations, are underlined).

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Above-average state school (flagship)

Undergrad GPA: 3.0 econ / 3.0 overall

Type of Grad: US MA that has placed a couple students in top fives and regularly in top 15 - 20

Grad GPA: 3.9+

GRE: 800Q/790V/5.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calc I (HS), Calc II-III, Linear Algebra, ODE, Proofs, Numerical Analysis I (Grad.), Probability Theory (Grad.). PDE (grad) and Intro to Real Analysis I in progress. 4.0 math gpa.

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro, Macro, Metrics I (A-), Metrics II (A-), Forecasting, Math Econ. (B+), Literature-oriented electives (2). MA Thesis (in progress). A except where noted.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Not going to list. 3.0 gpa here. Not a stellar record.

Other Courses: None relevant.

Letters of Recommendation: One from professor I have served as an RA for and know very well. Should be stellar. Not a famous economist, but actively publishes in his field.

Second from another professor I worked with and took grad micro from. Should be very positive.

Third undecided -- have a few options. Should be strong.

Research Experience: At the time of application, will be three semesters and a summer of RA work. MA thesis will be completed in time to submit a writing sample for schools that request them.

Teaching Experience: TA Math. Econ, Micro, Macro, Stats.

Research Interests: Macro, finance. No more specific at this time. Not interested in hard-headed uncompromising DSGE macro because I have little faith in the value of its contributions.

SOP: Haven't started. Obviously I need to address my abysmal undergrad grades; they aren't an accurate reflection of my ability. Highlight success in math courses and upward trends in academic performance. I would like to avoid making excuses but I still feel it is in my best interest to make some remarks about my shortcomings.

Concerns: Bad undergrad grades. Institutional prestige. Will discuss B+ in grad math econ in SOP (took it first semester of grad school before necessary math requirements. 89% uncurved wasn't good enough for an A- I guess) and contrast to grades in math courses.

Other:

Applying to: Undecided. A handful of 6-15s and some schools ranked slightly below that range with strong placement records. Perhaps Chicago as well and Stanford only because it is my dream school (obviously, my chance for acceptance there is very, very low). I am also applying to fin.math. and fin.eng. programs as a fallback. I am not naive about my chances at top schools; I will apply for econ phds knowing that my chance of getting admitted even to one is perhaps 50-50. This is fine with me. While econ phd is my first choice, I have interests in fields other than academic economics and I am not willing to spend 5+ years of my life in a phd program if I am unlikely to ultimately land a decent academic job. I know many disagree with this outlook on phd applications, but I have decided that in order for the investment of 5+ years of my 20s to be worth it, I must have a reasonable expectation of a good job at the end of the road. This is why I am not applying to "safety schools".

I am also considering applying to some Finance phd programs if I can get a handle on what range of schools is appropriate for me to apply to. I will more strongly consider relatively-lower-ranked finance programs than Econ.

Edited by to2012

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Math/Econ double major at a Top 40 Econ, top something US News... too lazy to check. We like experimental econ and college basketball.

Undergrad GPA: 3.9

Type of Grad: Just classes

Grad GPA: 3.9

GRE: 760Q/640V/4.0 (ick, first try and I went in cold) 750-800Q/640-740V/?? (second try)

Math Courses: Calc 1-3, Intro to Analysis I-II, Abstract Algebra, Honors Linear Alg, Honors ODEs, Applied Stat, Probability Theory, Math Stat, Stochastic Processes, Grad Analysis I, Topology, Combinatorics, Number Theory. All A's except an A- in ODEs and a B in Grad Analysis

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro I, Micro II, Political Economy, Topics in Micro Theory. All A's except an A- in Micro II

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): A whole bunch

Other Courses: A bunch of English classes

Letters of Recommendation: 1 extremely well known (multiple publications in AER/'metrica/JET), 1 very well known (publications in AER, 'metrica, JET), 1 not as well known. All 3 are micro theorists and have had me for at least one grad Econ class and at least two are advising me with my thesis/research projects.

Research Experience: 2 summer research grants from my university to work on independent projects in micro theory/game theory, another grant to work on that same project during this academic year, some independent studies over the years, all of which will be aggregated into a special degree/honors thesis

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests: Game Theory, Mechanism Design, Formal Political Theory, the intersection of theory and experiments. I am interested mainly in information incentives, how information affects games (broad, I know), and optimal mechanisms that induce information consumption in various environments

SOP: Starting shortly. Gonna talk about what I've done to prepare, what I would like to do, etc. Standard fare.

Concerns: Blew it big time the first time I took the GRE, which was my own fault since I didn't really prepare. B in grad analysis isn't the best signal either. These are just minor things, though (I hope.) I can't let them drive me crazy, since they're pretty much minor trifles at the end of the day.

Other: Varsity letterman/spent 4 years on a perennial top 15-25 Division I team in my sport. That made this all so much harder than it needed to be!

Applying to: EVERYWHERE

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 50-ish US private university with average econ department. International Affairs and Economics (dual major), Math (minor)

Undergrad GPA: 3.91 (overall), 4.0 (math/stat/econ)

GRE: haven't taken yet, will update

Math Courses: Multivariable Calc (A), Linear Algebra (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Proofs Writing / Math Reasoning (A), Real Analysis (currently), Mathematics of Finance (currently), Computing in Math (currently)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Game Theory (A), International Macro / Micro (A,A), Dynamic Optimization Theory (A), Intermediate Micro w/ Calc (A), Intermediate Macro (A), Money and Banking (A), Econometrics (A), Economics of Crime (A), Advanced Macro (A), Public Economics (A)

Other Courses: C Programming (A), plus a ton of others for my international affairs major

Letters of Recommendation: Think they'll be strong. One from a prof I get along with really well and wants me to do some research with him next semester, but he thinks I should get a job for a year or two before grad school. (He's a MIT PhD who really well published.) One from a prof that has sent a lot of kids to pretty decent grad schools and who seems to like me, I did well in his class and came to his office hours a lot. The third I'm not sure about. Maybe some of my math profs?

Research Experience: RA for a prof in econ department, but the work is mostly data entry (with promises for more advanced work to come)

Teaching Experience: N/A

Research Interests: Not sure exactly, probably micro, maybe theoretical

SOP: HELP! Have absolutely no idea other than the advice from one prof not to say I want to save the world.

Concerns: Limited math background, coming from a top-50-ish school, not too much research or writing experience

Other:

Applying to: Not sure, was told to think about 4 in each of the top-10, second-10, and third-10. Will probably concentrate on California as I'd like to be back on the west coast. Think I might apply to LSE and Oxford for MA programs as well.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 50 Large State University Honors College Top 25 Econ

Undergrad GPA: 3.84 Math (3.85) Econ (3.93)

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE: Say 800Q 600V 5.0-5.5

Math Courses: Calculus I,II,III Linear Algebra I II (A,A) Discrete Math (A-) Real Analysis (A-) Honors Analysis I (Taking fall, but should receive A) Stat I (A) Stat II (A-)

Econ Courses (grad-level): PhD MicroEcon PhD Math for Econ PhD Econometrics (fall, 2011)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): All the introductory level courses plus Inter Honors Micro (A-) Inter Macro (A-) Labor Econ (A) International Econ (A) Econometrics I (A) Game Theory (A) Adv International Econ (A)

Other Courses:Comp Sci 101 (A) Matrix Analysis (A) Combinatorics (B+)

Letters of Recommendation: One Research Advisor (UCSD PhD) One Econometrics PhD professor (Amsterdam-but well known) 3) Either Minn PhD or Wisc PhD All should be pretty good

Research Experience: One year of REU funding to research (Did some work did not publish)

Research Interests: Writing a senior thesis for my honors college (should be very mathematical)

SOP:

Concerns: Lower math GPA, no published paper, whether i can survive my grad courses this semester.

Other:

Applying to: Top 20

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: State school with no PhD program - Econ/Finance

Undergrad GPA: 3.82

Type of Grad: MS. Economics at same school as Undergrad; MS Math at a top 50 Math dept.

Grad GPA: 3.79/ 3.62

GRE: 780 Q 590 V 4.5 W

Math Courses: Linear Algebra (A), DiffEq (B+), Analysis I, II (A,A) Number Theory (A), Abstract Algebra (A), Probability (B), Statistical Theory (B), Applied Stats II (A), Game Theory (B), Grad Analysis (fall 2011), Grad Probability (fall 2011), Grad Linear Inference (fall 2011)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Master's level: Micro I, II (A-, A), Macro (B+), Econometrics I, II (A, A), Math for Economics (A-)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): pretty much all of them

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: one from Thesis adviser, one from econometrics professor, one from a math professor. All should be solid.

Research Experience: Master's Thesis

Teaching Experience: TA for Econ and Math

Research Interests: economic theory, behavioral, the theory side of IO

SOP: Short and straightforward. Talk about my research interests and ideas.

Concerns: Unknown school, B's in Stat courses. Hopefully, I can remedy those with A's in grad courses.

Other:

Applying to: some in top 20, some in top 50, a couple outside the US.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. Economics from US Mid-level University (no Ph.D. program), top 20 business school

Undergrad GPA: 3.85 overall (4.0 econ)

Type of Grad: M.Sc. Economics from Top 5 UK school

Grad GPA: British Grading System...Ended up with a Good Ph.D. Pass (2:1)

GRE: Q:750 V:540 AWA: 4.5, 1st try and didn't have much time to study for it.

Math Courses: Calculus I-II (A, A), Statistics (A-), Linear Algebra (Audit), Maths and Stats Camp (Pass, it was a pass/fail course)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro I, Micro II (Both used Mas-Collel's textbook), Macro I (Used Romer/Walsh/Acemoglu texts), Macro II (consumption and investment theory, no set text), Econometrics I, Econometrics II (Both used Verbeek, Greene, and a few others), Advanced Econometrics (Used Hayashi's textbook), Experimental Economics, Economic Thought. Basically covers the same topics as a first year US Ph.D. program...plus a few electives. I received mostly Ph.D. passes, one distinction, and a couple high M.Sc. passes. Most professors in my program did not give out distinction grades, or if they did they only gave out 1 or 2 per class, which is why I did not bother listing letter grades (which are not directly comparable to US grades).

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Principles of Micro/Macro (A, A), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A, A), Econometrics (A), and a few more electives that I received A's in.

Other Courses: Some undergrad finance, management, information systems, english literature classes (mostly A's)

Ph.D. LSE - Professor I had for 3 consecutive semesters for graduate econometrics. I did quite well in his courses and had a significant amount of interaction with him in classes/labs throughout the program.

Ph.D. UPenn - Professor I had for 2 undergrad classes, plus I worked as a research assistant/teaching assistant for her over multiple semesters.

Ph.D. MIT - He was my advisor during graduate school, and I received a distinction grade in his course.

Research Experience: RA during undergrad for a couple semesters researching labor economics.

RA for a British economic think tank for one semester.

Graduate Econometrics class project that received a distinction grade.

Master's dissertation with a heavy emphasis on econometrics.

Teaching Experience: TA for intermediate micro during undergrad.

Tutoring for Principles Micro/Macro during undergrad.

Research Interests: Monetary Economics, Time Series Econometrics, Panel Data Econometrics...

SOP: Should be fairly standard..

Concerns: I didn't take quite enough math classes during my undergraduate degree (i.e. diff equations, real analysis, etc...) since I did not plan on attending grad school at the time. However, I am a fast learner and taught myself diff equations the summer before my graduate school. I'm hoping my performance in the M.Sc. degree outweighs my lack of advanced math classes and mediocre Quant score.

Other:

Applying to: Boston College, Rutgers, Emory, UNC - Chapel Hill, UC Irvine, UC San Diego, UC Santa Barbara, Virginia, John Hopkins

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA in Quantitative Economics (summa cum laude) with minors in Mathematics and Political Science from a large state university (top 100 university)

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (overall), 3.9 (econ), 3.5 (math)

Type of Grad: PhD- and MA-level non-degree-seeking coursework

Grad GPA: 3.7

GRE: Q800/V570/A5.5

Math Courses: Calc I, II, and III, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Statistics, Abstract Math, Real Analysis; 1 semester of MA-level Statistics (Casella and Berger) for credit (A-)

Econ Courses (grad-level): PhD-level Microeconomic Theory (MasColell, Whinston and Green) for credit (A-)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro Micro and Macro, Intermediate Micro and Macro, International Finance, International Trade, Development Economics, Mathematics for Economists, Econometrics (I & II), Honors Thesis Seminar (I & II)

Other Courses: lots of Political Science (honors) and Spanish

1. Department chair and honors thesis advisor;

2. PhD-level Microeconomic Theory professor;

3. Current employer (prominent health economist).

Research Experience: Senior honors thesis (summa cum laude), 6 m as an undergraduate RA for NBER project, 3 yr as Senior Research Assistant for the federal government, and 1.5 yr as Research Associate for health economics think tank

Teaching Experience: undergraduate tutor in Economics and Mathematics

Research Interests: Applied micro with an emphasis on behavioral economics, health & nutrition, and agricultural economics

SOP: need to write my SOP

Concerns: I graduated from university 4 years ago and will be somewhat older (27) than most applicants; relatively low GRE Verbal score; could have taken a few more math courses (Topology, Differential Equations, Number Theory, etc.)

Other: Economics publications (including some under review at peer-reviewed journals)

Applying to: Yale, Stanford, Berkeley & Berkeley ARE, Harvard, Cornell, Maryland, Michigan, Johns Hopkins, Chicago, and others (likely 15-18 programs)

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Econ (Honors), Math, and Poli Sci (Honors) from a top 15 public university

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

GRE: 800Q, 610V, 5.0AW

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, and Analysis (all As). Taking Stochastic Process, Analysis II, and Diff Eq this year.

Econ Courses (grad-level): Taking Micro Theory this fall.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro Micro and Macro, Intermed Micro and Macro, Econ Stats, Econometrics, Economics of Education, and Research Project Design (all As).

Other Courses: Lots of policy and political science work.

Letters of Recommendation: Should have 2 pretty well known economists (PhDs from Harvard and MIT) and either a third or a math professor.

Research Experience: Pretty extensive work in political science, worked at a research center with phD economists for the last year on modeling, writing, and statistical programming. Wrote for undergraduate journal of economics.

Research Interests: Public, Applied Micro, Labor

SOP: Haven't started.

Concerns: Weaker verbal than I'd hoped. Caught up on math relatively late.

Other: Planning to apply for the NSF.

Applying to: Top 15, maybe with a few safeties.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Econ (Honors), Math, and Poli Sci (Honors) from a top 15 public university

Undergrad GPA: 4.0

GRE: 800Q, 610V, 5.0AW

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, and Analysis (all As). Taking Stochastic Process, Analysis II, and Diff Eq this year.

Econ Courses (grad-level): Taking Micro Theory this fall.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro Micro and Macro, Intermed Micro and Macro, Econ Stats, Econometrics, Economics of Education, and Research Project Design (all As).

Other Courses: Lots of policy and political science work.

Letters of Recommendation: Should have 2 pretty well known economists (PhDs from Harvard and MIT) and either a third or a math professor.

Research Experience: Pretty extensive work in political science, worked at a research center with phD economists for the last year on modeling, writing, and statistical programming. Wrote for undergraduate journal of economics.

Research Interests: Public, Applied Micro, Labor

SOP: Haven't started.

Concerns: Weaker verbal than I'd hoped. Caught up on math relatively late.

Other: Planning to apply for the NSF.

Applying to: Top 15, maybe with a few safeties.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, time to throw my hat in the ring.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Flagship State School with a well known (albeit less than mainstream) phd program

Undergrad GPA: 3.99/4.0 (I received an A- in a geology class my freshman year, otherwise I have all A's).

GRE: Revised Score Range 750-800 quant, 700-800 verbal.

Math Courses: Calc I , II, III, Linear Algebra, Intro to Proofs, Intro to Real Analysis, Calculus based statistics, ODEs, Non-linear Dynamics, Abstract Algebra.

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro Theory I, Game Theory (in progress).

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro to Micro/Macro, Intermediate Micro/Macro, Independent Study on human capital theory, Thesis (in progress)

Other Courses: Some courses in logic, chinese, not much else that's relevant.

Letters of Recommendation: 1) Alumni of current school who is very well known, albeit for non-mainstream research.

2) University of Minnesota alumn who taught grad Micro - several AER's, QJE's, and other prominent publications (in the 80's),

but I wouldn't exactly describe this one as "well known"

3) Either a Math Teacher who I TA'd for or (hopefully) the prof I am currently taking grad micro with who is a very well known

economist.

Research Experience: Independent Study and the senior thesis that is currently in progress.

Teaching Experience: Spent a year TA'ing Calculus for the math department.

Research Interests: Education, labor, behavioral, experimental, game theory.

SOP: Haven't written yet, but I don't plan to rock the boat. I plan to talk vaguely about my research interests, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

Concerns: My school is not an Ivy. Unless I get the prof who I am currently taking game theory with to write me a letter, I'm not sure how much weight my current LOR's will carry. No econometrics. I'm a little older (25). I was in the Army for four years before coming to college.

Other: Phi Beta Kappa. Departmental Academic Achievement award. Several scholarships.

Applying to: (in rough order of preference) MIT, Yale, Harvard, Princeton, Brown, Columbia, BU, NYU, BC, UVA, Rutgers, Tufts (masters program).

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Public, unranked PhD program

Undergrad GPA: 3.94

Grad: n/a

GRE: 650V, 800Q, 6.0

Math Courses(undergrad-level): CalcI,II,III, IV (exam, B+, A+, A), Intro Proof(A), Linear Algebra(A+), ODE(A), Probability(B+), Intro to RA (A), Intro to Stats (A), Prob. II (A), Stat II (A), Advanced Calculus I (Fall)

Econ Courses(undergrad-level): Intro Micro,Macro(A,A), Intermediate Micro,Macro(A+,A), intro stats (A+), enviro econ (A+), Labor (A), Math econ (A), Trade policy (A+), Trade & Welfare (A+), Directed Research (twice) (A)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro TheoryI,II (A-,A), Math Econ (A-), Metrics(A), Metrics II (Fall)

Letters of Recommendation: Michigan (did directed research with), Rice (Micro I prof), Princeton (Younger prof, RAed with and took Metrics I with)

Research Experience: RAed a summer and a semester with one professor. Did a senior research project.

Research Interests: Development, Political Economy

SOP: N/A

Concerns: Not sure about strength of LORs. Poor rep of undergrad.

Applying to: Princeton, MIT, Berkeley ARE, Brown, Cornell, Wash U St. Louis, Maryland, Maryland ARE, BU, PSU, Vanderbilt, U Pitts, Virginia, USC, Geogetown. Maybe TSE, JHU

Type of Undergrad: Top 1

Undergrad GPA: 4.0/4.0

Type of Grad: Submatriculate with math masters

Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE: Revised Score Range 750-800 quant, 750-800 verbal.

Math Courses: Calc I , II, III, Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Probability, measure theory, mathematical statistics, complex analysis, real analysis, functional analysis, topology, ODE, PDE, mathematical finance, game theory

Econ Courses (grad-level): PhD Micro I, PhD Macro I

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Macro/Micro, Metrics, Advanced Metrics, Monetary Policy, Growth

Letters of Recommendation: 1) Three nobel laureates

Research Experience: forthcoming journal article in top 4 journal

Teaching Experience: TA'd two math classes

Research Interests: game theory, mathematical economics

SOP: short and to the point

Concerns: none

are you for real?