Urch Forums

applying to two programs at same school -> two transcripts?

waxwings

Hi all,

If you're applying to two programs at the same school and both programs request an official mailed transcript, should you send two copies of your transcript? Or would just one suffice? I couldn't find any information in the school's FAQ (Harvard GSAS), nor did a search in this forum turn up anything.

I had a similar question regarding GRE scores, but in the case of Harvard GSAS, I think they only give you a school code and not individual department codes, so I just submitted one report.

Thanks muchly.

Applicants Submitting More Than One Application

Each application must have its own transcripts, recommendations, financial data, test scores, etc. Supplemental material must be uploaded and attached to your application. An application fee must accompany each application (unless you are applying to a program particiating in HILS See: applying to a Harvard Integrated Life Sciences (HILS) program)

Source: Admissions Checklist - The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

I'd say you need to send multiple transcripts. I'm pretty sure hard copies of transcripts would go with the file to the department/admissions committee - for two apps you have two files and two admissions committees, so I'd say two transcripts.

The GRE thing has been discussed in another thread (http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/136803-quick-question-about-harvard.html). As godlesschum pointed out there, this FAQ sounds like it's saying you need two. I'm still skeptical for the reason you mentioned, so as I said in the other thread I'd recommend just giving them a quick call and asking.

Source: Admissions Checklist - The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences

I'd say you need to send multiple transcripts. I'm pretty sure hard copies of transcripts would go with the file to the department/admissions committee - for two apps you have two files and two admissions committees, so I'd say two transcripts.

The GRE thing has been discussed in another thread (http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/136803-quick-question-about-harvard.html). As godlesschum pointed out there, this FAQ sounds like it's saying you need two. I'm still skeptical for the reason you mentioned, so as I said in the other thread I'd recommend just giving them a quick call and asking.

FYI for everyone else who is wondering, I called them this afternoon and they indeed said I should send two score reports, to the same general ETS code for the GSAS (3451). No need to specify the department code.

This process is a mild pain in the ***, eh?