Urch Forums

Advice for applications in 2013

urchi

Hi everyone, I'm a 2013 applicant. I've looked at the FAQs thread. I have some impressions from reading the threads recommended. Could you clarify if you think they're mistaken?

1) I can give Oxford & Cambridge MPhil a shot, but Harvard/Yale might be a bit too far fetched. (I can apply to them, but they should remain dream schools). For US schools, Northwestern, Duke, Minnesota, Boston, NYU might be good choices.

2) It's not particularly important to strengthen any part of my application. Thus next summer, I should feel free to take on an internship/research assistantship, or go to summer school, or even relax.

Have just completed the first semester of my third year. Next semester taking mostly compulsory courses: Independent Study, International Trade, Advanced Microeconomics, Intermediate Econometrics, Risk Theory & Loss Models

In my fourth year, intend to write a thesis. From my remaining courses, will try some PhD Econs courses, and some maths & stats courses.

Type of Undergrad: management university in Singapore

Undergrad GPA: 3.93/4.00

GRE: Taking in early January;

Math Courses: Calculus (exempted due to good 'A' level results), Intermediate Mathematics for Economics (A), Introduction to Statistical Theory (A+), Probability Theory (A+), Linear Algebra & Regression (A-), Real Analysis (A+)

Econ Courses: Introductory Economics (exempted due to good 'A' level results), Intermediate Microeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics, International Macroeconomics, Applied Econometrics (all A). Economic Development in Asia (A+)

(On semester abroad, took Economic Methodology, Economics of Cities, History of Economic thought, Personnel Economics, Public Sector Economics in a Dutch university, all with grade A equivalent. Topped some of the courses)

Other Courses: Political Philosophy (A+), Introduction to Sociological Theory (A-), Analytical Skills (i.e. Formal Logic) A+.

Letters of Recommendation: yet to confirm. but I think I have plenty of choice.

Research Experience: Worked on a cost-benefit analysis project at a government ministry. Worked as a research assistant in another government ministry, under a Statistics PhD.

Teaching Experience: TA for Political Philosophy, Applied Econometrics, Economic Development in Asia. Also TA for System Dynamics and Business Gaming (a computer science course which I did not take, but learnt before I became the TA)

Research Interests: Economic Development/Applied microeconomics

Apply to: US/UK Masters/PhDs, undecided