Urch Forums

PhD in Health Economics vs. PhD in Health Services Research & Policy

Epic

Are they essentially the same? I'm interested in health services research, but I am also interested in cost-benefit analysis of public health interventions and public policy. Does it really matter which doctorate I complete?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance.

For this one, usually go with the degree with the shorter name. I think it does matter because many people won't be familiar with your particular degree or your adviser or whatever, and will be happiest hearing about a degree they've heard of.

Again, program and adviser prestige can trump this.

It sounds like you'd fit best in a school of public health or a medical school that does econ-type research, rather than an economics department. Econ departments generally don't have people cost-effectiveness stuff or clinical economics more broadly. Public health schools that offer degrees in health policy or health econ often aren't nearly as econ-focussed as economics departments or business schools that offer degrees in health economics, despite calling their programmes by the same names. There's also a fair bit of heterogeneity in health policy and HSR programmes (in part because they tend to be much smaller than straight econ PhDs, with perhaps the exception of Hopkins and Harvard). So if you know what you'd like to work on, start by looking for departments where your research interests would be well supported.