Profile evaluation for PhD economics, Fall 2013
Type of Undergrad: Major in International Economics from Top 10 public institution in Azerbaijan, NIS country (Newly Independent State)
Undergrad GPA: 4.62 out of 5.00 (Math: 4.50, Economics: 4.74)
Type of Grad: Major in Finance from Top private university (medium of instruction English) in Azerbaijan.
Grad GPA: 86% out of 100%
GRE: Q:161 V:152 AWA: ___ (expect at least 4.00)
Math Courses (undergrad-level): Two-semester course of Complex Math which includes Calculus I (grade A), Calculus II (A), Calculus III (A), Linear Algebra (A), Differential Equations (A). One-semester course of Economics and Mathematical Modeling which includes Introduction to Econometrics and Probability (grade B). One-semester course of Statistics (grade category-passed).
Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Four-semester course of General Economic Theory which includes Microeconomics I (grade A), Macroeconomics I (A), Microeconomics advanced (A), Macroeconomics advanced (A). Economics of production (grade category-passed), International Economics (B), Economics and Organization of Business (A), Course (research) work on General Economic Theory (A), Course (research) work on International Economics (A), Pre-diploma Cap-stone Project on International Economics (B)
Stat. Courses (grad-level): Business Statistics (grade A), Modeling and Business Decision Analysis (B), Business Research Methods (A)
Econ Courses (grad-level): Managerial Economics: advanced micro with theory and applications (grade A), Financial Management: elements of financial economics (A)
Other Courses: Two completed auditing designations (8 exams in total) recognized in the US.
Letters of Recommendation:
1. Professor and Dean of the Graduate school of Economics and Management, Vice President of University: has taught me two graduate-level courses on Business Research Methods and Managerial Economics
2. Econ Professor from the Academy of Science in Azerbaijan: assisted him in an inter-disciplinary project in the capacity of statistician.
3. Stats Associate Professor from my graduate school department: I have discussed my plans with him extensively and did well in his class. He is an alumnus of Northeastern University (Boston, USA) and holds MA in Economics as well as PhD from the state recognized institution.
Research Experience: Two research projects within undergraduate program, one project within graduate program, one project with the Academy of sciences in inter-disciplinary field.
Teaching Experience: no formal education teaching experience, avail total 6 years of professional training experience.
Research Interests: Micro Theory, Applied Micro, Econometrics
SOP: I am working on it now.
Concerns: Major concern is my GRE score.
Other: Nominated as a recipient of Erasmus Mundus 2008 year fellowship for one-year PhD studies in Greece: living stipend 1,500 Euro per month, tuition remission, travel expenses (offer declined)
- University of Iowa Economics
- University of Georgia Economics
- University of Illinois at Chicago Economics
- University of California-Irvine Economics
- University of California-Riverside Economics
- Florida State University Economics
- Emory University Economics
- Washington State University School of Economic Sciences
- University of Massachusetts Amherst Economics
- Utah State University Economics
- University of Florida Economics
- University of Houston Economics
- Rice University Economics
Please kindly express your views about my profile and whether PhD in economics admission requirements of the universities listed above are commensurate with my profile features.
Last edited by pemdas; 08-11-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Reason: typos and content revision
Your profile seems fine for the universities that you listed. May be Rice, U Iowa and Emory seems to be bit ambitious given GRE. I recommend retaking GRE and score above 164 in quant, if you got time and then apply to all of these schools. All the Best !
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By darcular21 in forum PhD in Economics
Last Post: 07-18-2012, 07:54 PM
By pushkarjsh88 in forum Graduate Admissions
Last Post: 07-03-2012, 03:26 PM
By hexibuaa in forum PhD in Economics
Last Post: 06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
By casta2k in forum PhD in Economics
Last Post: 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM
By econnosaurusrex in forum PhD in Economics
Last Post: 03-15-2012, 08:16 PM
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.