Urch Forums

Please advice on Personal Statement - Particular Circumstances

andr3w84

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read this thread. I'm applying to a PhD in Mineral Economics at an Australian University. I've got everything sorted out, except for the personal statement. I've read many samples online, quite impressive but not very helpful as my personal circumstances are rather unique:

* Even though I have an overall average of A in my undergraduate and 2 postgraduate degrees (strength), I've been working as carpenter in Australia for the last 5 years (weakness) as my work exp before migrating was in a smaller mining company without presence in this region, etc and the money from carpentry was indeed good and steady. However, the love for learning and academic improvement was always there (strength), so earlier this year I contacted a few departments and one professor in particular is very keen to recommend my admission. He is well impressed with my research proposal as well (strength), which is within Australia's key strategic research areas and also very related to my mining work exp (strength) and his research interests (strength).

* My ug is in Electronic Engineering and my pgs are in Economics and Corporate Finance. My initial work exp was in telecommunications (5 ys) (weakness) and switched to mining (2 ys) after the pgs. (strength)

* The mineral economics department is within the (large) business school, which to me is very appealing (large and diverse student body, with varied professional objectives). (strength)

* I grew up in a mining town; I've been acquainted with this industry and its way of life since birth; many people in my family and circle of friends work there. (strength)

* By all means I would be an older applicant. I'm 38 (weakness), with partner but no kids. However, I've lived in England and the US, travelled a fair bit, and regard myself as someone broad minded, well rounded and experienced. (strength)

* Shortly after deciding to go for the phd I created a blog on mining. The audience is minimal yet but I reckon it's a good way to showcase my interest in the field and research and writing skills. (strength)

The main hurdle in my personal statement is how to demonstrate that I indeed want to pursue this degree (why I didn't do it earlier, etc). Please advice on the best angle from which to tackle this essay. Thanks very much in advance

Edited by andr3w84

I don't know what the situation is in Australia, but candidates in the United States commonly range, on entry, all the way up to 30 years old, and there is a healthy smattering of even older candidates at lower ranked programs. I have no clue what Mineral Economics is, but you sound sufficiently motivated that you probably don't need to spend time explaining your age. I don't think programs will be that concerned.

Thank you for your reply Humanomics.

How about explaining the non optimal work switch to carpentry, why that long, etc?

How about justifying the choice of other careers (electronics, econ/finance) before getting into mining - instead of doing it straight from the undergraduate? To me, apart from the very interesting nature of my intended research (multidisciplinary as it requires statistics, geology, programming, and of course economics), is the realisation that my largest and most meaningful personal network is in the mining industry. All in all, it's a matter of leveraging my academic and personal background. The thing is, what angle would be best to explain it? (choice instead of obligation, etc)

Cheers

I think you already have sufficient explanations for your path worked out. It's just not uncommon for people today to have taken circuitous routes to PhD. I would focus as much (limited) time on the SOP as possible on your research interests and qualifications, against why you ended up in carpentry for a while. It's just kind of irrelevant to the committee's concerns, and to the degree it is germane, it's not a huge concern. It's quite clear you're not just dabbling in a PhD, or lost in your path or something.