Urch Forums

can anyone help me evaluate my profile? many thanks!

jinguancai

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of applying to a Econ Phd Program, but do not have a clue of where I should apply for, can any1 give me some ideas on that.

Here is my Profile:

Undergraduate: Big10 public school (senior this year)

Major: Economics&Math(an inter-department one),sociology, east asian study(japanese)

Overall GPA: 3.6 Econ&math GPA3.77(going for a thesis,and probably end up with honor), Soc 3.3, EA study 3.6

GRE 316 V152(53%+) Q164(90%+)

Math courses:

Calculous 1 A, Calc 2 A, Calc 3(multi-variables) B+

currently taking Linear Algebra and Numerical Analysis(going good so far), and will take real analysis and differential equation next semester

Research:

1.5 year research assistant in Soc department

Yet no Econ research background

Letters:

One from Soc professor whom I've been working for, 1 prof from Public Policy class but is considered to be a economist, last one undecided yet

Future field: probably more Macro and international trade part

Good things: Lots of majors (My econ prof said that they only look at math part though)

Bad things: Not enough math courses grade available yet. A not very strong GPA, and low verbal on GRE, a OK but imperfect Quant score.

I'm thinking of applying to schools from top 20 to 50 Phds,but mainly those from 20 to 40, and possibly some Econ Master programs as well. My school's Econ dept was ranked somewhere around 40, and they said that I'll be considered seriously if I apply but will only be given offer maybe in the second round. This is a depressing news for me, and I'm here to ask if anyone can provide me some clues about where I could possibly apply for and have a fairly possible shot for? Thanks.

My usual advice would be to go ask one of your professors what he/she thinks your chances are. If your public policy professor is actually an economist and has written letters for lots of students for PhD programs in Economics, then you can ask him/her. Letters are really important for admissions (from what I've gathered), and it seems like letters from non-econ/math people are weighted much less heavily (than letters from econ/math people). If you are applying this year, you may have a tough time in the 20-40 range given that the only math you have during application is Calc 1-3 (and LA and Numerical Analysis at schools that let you send fall grades) and your grade in Calc 3, the most advanced of the sequence, is a B+.

Then again, I'm a lowly recent graduate (from undergrad.) so its best to speak with a professor (or grad. student).

Edited by whatdoido