Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 124 of 613 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 6123

Thread: 2013 Application Sweat Thread

Preparing for collision Oikos-nomos's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
    Really? It sounds like the two that posted already were people that they assumed would go elsewhere. So I'm guessing there will be a string of funded offers going out soon?
    Yes, but in those cases they weren't given any financial aid for that reason. Funded offers are already out, here and on GC.

And Congrats to the folks who got in!!!
    Still some hope: U Arizona (WL?)
    GTFO: UCSB, U Pitt, Cornell, UT Austin, OSU (implicit), U Michigan, UC Irvine, USC
    GTFI: Monsters University

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgequant View Post
    I got another offer yesterday and a potential interview at Rice. I also seemed to have missed out on BC interviews, which is kinda odd because I got a BC interview 2 years ago with a MUCH weaker profile. I must have REALLLLY shat the proverbial bed in that interview.

Keep the faith, gents.
    Hey hedgequant it seems like you are killing every interview (congrats!) . Is it possible to share some of your experience, or how you present yourself ,etc. Thanks.

Good post? Yes | No
    And when you think things are not looking good for you, you stumble on these posts on GC.

Michigan , Ann Arbor Economics, PhD (F12) Rejected via Other on 16 Mar 2012 U 16 Mar 2012
    • Don't give up hope, Guy with 35 rejections. Retake the GRE, take some advanced math/econ classes at a community college maybe and go and talk to three professors at schools you would like to get in. You can do it! I admire you for your mental strength, I would have gone crazy going through what you are going through. Don't give up the ship.
    Michigan , Ann Arbor Economics, PhD (F12) Rejected via E-mail on 16 Mar 2012 U 16 Mar 2012
    • 35th rejection. I'm done. to hell with economics anyways.

I LOLed at the "Don't give up hope, Guy-with-35-rejections."
    It's almost as bad as "Don't give up hope, Guy-with-14-stabs-in-the-back". Well, some points go for the encouragement at least.

I think some people mentioned this Guy with 35 rejections...maybe it was in this thread, can't remember, and too lazy to check.
    GTFO: UCSB, U Pitt, Cornell, UT Austin, OSU (implicit), U Michigan, UC Irvine, USC

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Oikos-nomos View Post
    And when you think things are not looking good for you, you stumble on these posts on GC.

Michigan , Ann Arbor Economics, PhD (F12) Rejected via Other on 16 Mar 2012 U 16 Mar 2012
    • Don't give up hope, Guy with 35 rejections. Retake the GRE, take some advanced math/econ classes at a community college maybe and go and talk to three professors at schools you would like to get in. You can do it! I admire you for your mental strength, I would have gone crazy going through what you are going through. Don't give up the ship.
    Michigan , Ann Arbor Economics, PhD (F12) Rejected via E-mail on 16 Mar 2012 U 16 Mar 2012
    • 35th rejection. I'm done. to hell with economics anyways.

I LOLed at the "Don't give up hope, Guy-with-35-rejections."
    It's almost as bad as "Don't give up hope, Guy-with-14-stabs-in-the-back". Well, some points go for the encouragement at least.

I think some people mentioned this Guy with 35 rejections...maybe it was in this thread, can't remember, and too lazy to check.
    He had a 700Q and applied to virtually every upper-tier program in the country. I wonder what his LOR said?

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by siru View Post
    Hey hedgequant it seems like you are killing every interview (congrats!) . Is it possible to share some of your experience, or how you present yourself ,etc. Thanks.
    Thanks for the kind words. Some of it is definitely just a function of the percentage of admits taken from interviews, but I do feel like I interview well. I am extremely comfortable in individual and group interview environments. This comes from years of training, everything from high school speech and debate to 5+ years in "high finance" presenting both academic works and industry sales pitches to teaching a speech and debate course in my "spare" time these days.

Another part of it is that I am genuinely passionate about this process. That's not to say that everyone who applies isn't also excited and passionate, but I've been told that the desire shines through when I give my story. My wife cried when she read my SOP.

Business schools are more interested (largely out of necessity) in native speakers than they have been in years past, and my story plays well to that need. I think what really helps me is that in the same interview I can answer the question about why my masters thesis looked at Markov switching models vs. threshold models, why my intuition helped me arrive at the idea in the first place, etc. and then within 2 minutes be able to tell a personal anecdote that has humor, or some substance to it. These things come with comfort, and comfort breeds confidence, and confidence shows through (whether you have it or you dont).

As a terribly simple example from the other day (that may not translate to text), I was in the middle of a series of 1:1 interviews with senior faculty, bouncing around and telling much of the same story to each. One of the faculty members is a very well-known researcher with a dry sense of humor. We were talking about the character traits of successful PhD students, I was asking him what factors serve as the inflection point between a good RA and a co-authoring opportunity, and we were talking slightly more technical things. In so doing, he begins to liken the PhD experience to the first years of human life, in that you learn so much and realize you knew so little. He says, "it's like when you realize, as a baby, that you can control your hands, and make them do what you want..."

I immediately put both of my hands in the air, looked at them with awe and confusion, and then I looked him right in the eye and with deadpanned tone said, "Wait. BOTH OF THEM?!"

He laughed pretty hard at that.

I wouldn't have done that in the interview beforehand, because that professor was not as dry. Interviews are about reading people, and not being intimidated by them.

I've played poker for tens of thousands of dollars at a time, so it takes a lot to "scare" me or make me nervous. I've played professional golf, too. I knew John Paulson years before he was a cult figure in finance and famous for shorting mortgages (in fact we were doing it before him). I've sat in the same room as countless hedge fund billionaires. I work for the wealthiest US congressman (even more net worth than Kerry, which surprised me). These people are fascinating, and I want to learn from them. They are not my peers, but I am NOT intimidated by them.

I am overly humble and respectful when I meet with them, because it's common sense to be that way and because I truly aspire to be where these faculty are in the future. My story doesn't change, but I read each person and tweak the presentation to suit the audience as best I can. It helps that I am hell-bent on a PhD and I want it more than you can imagine. I want it more than you (all of you), and you don't have to believe that, but I do. And it took a long time to have the requisite ability and foundational skills (on paper), but now that is not an issue. It comes down to desire. And by the time I walk out of the room, they know I mean business.
    The long road has finally come to an end. Rice (3/11/13)

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by to2012 View Post
    He had a 700Q and applied to virtually every upper-tier program in the country. I wonder what his LOR said?
    Well, if he applied to virtually all top 40 programs with a 700Q then he had no clear idea of how competitive it was. He spent a ****load of money on apps.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by hedgequant View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. Some of it is definitely just a function of the percentage of admits taken from interviews, but I do feel like I interview well. I am extremely comfortable in individual and group interview environments. This comes from years of training, everything from high school speech and debate to 5+ years in "high finance" presenting both academic works and industry sales pitches to teaching a speech and debate course in my "spare" time these days.

Another part of it is that I am genuinely passionate about this process. That's not to say that everyone who applies isn't also excited and passionate, but I've been told that the desire shines through when I give my story. My wife cried when she read my SOP.

Business schools are more interested (largely out of necessity) in native speakers than they have been in years past, and my story plays well to that need. I think what really helps me is that in the same interview I can answer the question about why my masters thesis looked at Markov switching models vs. threshold models, why my intuition helped me arrive at the idea in the first place, etc. and then within 2 minutes be able to tell a personal anecdote that has humor, or some substance to it. These things come with comfort, and comfort breeds confidence, and confidence shows through (whether you have it or you dont).

As a terribly simple example from the other day (that may not translate to text), I was in the middle of a series of 1:1 interviews with senior faculty, bouncing around and telling much of the same story to each. One of the faculty members is a very well-known researcher with a dry sense of humor. We were talking about the character traits of successful PhD students, I was asking him what factors serve as the inflection point between a good RA and a co-authoring opportunity, and we were talking slightly more technical things. In so doing, he begins to liken the PhD experience to the first years of human life, in that you learn so much and realize you knew so little. He says, "it's like when you realize, as a baby, that you can control your hands, and make them do what you want..."

I immediately put both of my hands in the air, looked at them with awe and confusion, and then I looked him right in the eye and with deadpanned tone said, "Wait. BOTH OF THEM?!"

He laughed pretty hard at that.

I wouldn't have done that in the interview beforehand, because that professor was not as dry. Interviews are about reading people, and not being intimidated by them.

I've played poker for tens of thousands of dollars at a time, so it takes a lot to "scare" me or make me nervous. I've played professional golf, too. I knew John Paulson years before he was a cult figure in finance and famous for shorting mortgages (in fact we were doing it before him). I've sat in the same room as countless hedge fund billionaires. I work for the wealthiest US congressman (even more net worth than Kerry, which surprised me). These people are fascinating, and I want to learn from them. They are not my peers, but I am NOT intimidated by them.

I am overly humble and respectful when I meet with them, because it's common sense to be that way and because I truly aspire to be where these faculty are in the future. My story doesn't change, but I read each person and tweak the presentation to suit the audience as best I can. It helps that I am hell-bent on a PhD and I want it more than you can imagine. I want it more than you (all of you), and you don't have to believe that, but I do. And it took a long time to have the requisite ability and foundational skills (on paper), but now that is not an issue. It comes down to desire. And by the time I walk out of the room, they know I mean business.
    Ha, I'm not surprised to hear that your wife cried when she read your SOP now

Good post? Yes | No
    Well, it seems that today's UT news are over, so I'm calling it a day. I'm outta here, goddamit.

Good post? Yes | No
    Congrats to all accepted by UT-Austin!!!!!
    Brand new journey at Arizona State University!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Congrats to the guys accepted by Austin!!

Page 124 of 613 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134174224 ... LastLast

Thread Information