Urch Forums

Time to vote for the 2013 Jeeves Award

Team3

Ladies and gentlemen,

The time has come to cast your ballot for our peer-voted award for forum team spirit--the 4th Annual Jeeves Award!

The criteria are the sort of things you'd expect and that we all enjoy about this forum:

1) helpful commentary and advice

2) overall team-oriented behavior

3) positive outlook and/or humor

4) don't take admissions results or profiles into account

5) non-moderator status (moderator breaks ties)

Here are the results from some of the older threads:

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/139147-2012-jeeves-award.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/130508-time-vote-2011-jeeves-award.html

http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/117716-time-vote-2010-jeeves-award.html

Vote by replying to the thread (rather than using the upvote button), and we'll tally sometime before April 15.

I'm starting the rumor that the Jeeves Award is an excellent predictor of the Bates Medal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am really torn between Humanomics and hedgequant, but given that hedgequant has been much more active in the sweat thread I think he edges Humanomics just a bit. Plus I am not sure how much of my willingness to nominate Humanomics is drawn from his interest in growth theory.

So, I vote hedgequant.

^^Yup. I was thinking about this award the other day, thinking it was more of a poster quality and helpfulness award, almost a forum MVP type of thing, and chateauheart was my runaway don't-even-think-twice winner. I was disappointed when I saw the criteria, because I don't really know exactly what 'team spirit' is in this context, and not being mindlessly positive and rah-rah-rah encouraging is a big part of chateauheart's contribution (and people being those things is a big problem on this board). If the forum was full of people like him it would be a far more valuable resource. If there's an award for that (and there should be, if there are going to be awards for anything), then we shouldn't even need to vote.

As for the actual criteria, hedgequant is a good choice, so he gets my vote too, on account of being up there with chateauheart in terms of criteria 1, while probably having enough of whatever 2 and 3 are to be eligible.

• Like 1

^^Yup. I was thinking about this award the other day, thinking it was more of a poster quality and helpfulness award, almost a forum MVP type of thing, and chateauheart was my runaway don't-even-think-twice winner. I was disappointed when I saw the criteria, because I don't really know exactly what 'team spirit' is in this context, and not being mindlessly positive and rah-rah-rah encouraging is a big part of chateauheart's contribution (and people being those things is a big problem on this board). If the forum was full of people like him it would be a far more valuable resource. If there's an award for that (and there should be, if there are going to be awards for anything), then we shouldn't even need to vote.

As for the actual criteria, hedgequant is a good choice, so he gets my vote too, on account of being up there with chateauheart in terms of criteria 1, while probably having enough of whatever 2 and 3 are to be eligible.

From what i understand from the voting in past years, the first criterion is/should be weighted most heavily. Perhaps Team3 could help elaborate?

If so, then i agree with you that chateauheart is the overwhelming choice.

(no disrespect intended for all the other candidates, all of whom are worthy)

Edited by blockRed
clarity

Don't crap on the thread. Giving your vote to someone is not to be taken as an opportunity to put down the rest.

From what i understand from the voting in past years, the first criterion is/should be weighted most heavily. Perhaps Team3 could help elaborate?

Feel free to assign weights to the criteria as you see fit. The award is about stepping outside of yourself to help people you probably don't even know, and thereby improving the quality of the applicant pool in general.