Urch Forums

Admission Sweat Thread 2014

tm_member

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to put this on the first page:

I am not going to post any admissions or rejections on gradcafe using my username this year, because last year it happened on two occasions that EJMR trolls posted admissions on Gradcafe claiming to be me (one was false; one happened to be true).

Therefore, if you see a gradcafe post with my username, you can safely assume that I didn't post it.

Easier for me to just do them at once so while it's a little early it saves me thinking about it again later! :-)

The admissions and rejections thread will go up in early January and then the Profiles and Results later.

Good luck to all for another season.

I actually started my applications today and was surprised at how many were in fact open for Fall 2014. I've narrowed my list down to 8 programs, and 6 are allowing me to proceed already.

Why only eight programs? That seems like far too few. Do you have significant location constraints?

Heed this poster's warnings, for he was the ultimate sweater of 2013.

I definitely remember Insti last cyle! The probability of a shutout was growing exponentially each day, he was sweating so much he was practically a human irrigation system! Then just about when P(Shutout) ~= 1, BOOM!!! Funded offer from Riverside :triumphant:. Your probability distribution must have had an asymptote or some discontinuity at P = 1

dont sweat too much just yet guys cuz january through april would be hell. i hope the RNG is with you all

Is January-April really the worst? I am planning on taking major slide classes in the spring (hellooo, astronomy 101 and a math topic that I have already done a research project on ), so I am expecting the lead up to rejections/acceptances to be quite nice.

Is January-April really the worst? I am planning on taking major slide classes in the spring (hellooo, astronomy 101 and a math topic that I have already done a research project on ), so I am expecting the lead up to rejections/acceptances to be quite nice.

From personal experience, it is incredibly difficult to focus and stay motivated in classes during the admissions process. I think I spent almost as much time researching schools/faculty than I did on actual coursework this spring.

I would take classes that are challenging enough to keep you interested, but not overly difficult. More than anything take classes that will help you out in your PhD such as programming, technical writing, research, etc.

From personal experience, it is incredibly difficult to focus and stay motivated in classes during the admissions process. I think I spent almost as much time researching schools/faculty than I did on actual coursework this spring.

I would take classes that are challenging enough to keep you interested, but not overly difficult. More than anything take classes that will help you out in your PhD such as programming, technical writing, research, etc.

Yes, don't take an upper level analysis course at this time, you may find yourself dropping it and hanging around coffee shops all day browsing TM

Yes, don't take an upper level analysis course at this time, you may find yourself dropping it and hanging around coffee shops all day browsing TM

Agreed, I took a bowling class, worked at a bakery and halfazzed my thesis during the time.

I enrolled in a grad math class only to drop it after the first week. No regrets!!

Hey all!

Upcoming senior here that will be applying to econ PhD programs this year as well!

Im looking forward to getting to know all of you and stressing out through this process together!

I'll only be applying to reach programs this application round. If no one bites, I'll just take a year off and apply again next cycle-- anyone in the same boat?

Hey all!

Upcoming senior here that will be applying to econ PhD programs this year as well!

Im looking forward to getting to know all of you and stressing out through this process together!

I'll only be applying to reach programs this application round. If no one bites, I'll just take a year off and apply again next cycle-- anyone in the same boat?

Marginal cost of applying to a few targets is pretty small and waiting a year is a lot of lost earnings (applying later means delaying graduation and that nice paycheck). Applying to only reaches is only a good idea if you have a serious opportunity to make $$ in the intervening year, or can improve your profile significantly.