Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for 2014

whoami

Hi all, the following is my current profile and I am going to apply for the graduate school in economics this year. I would very like to hear some advide from you guys on the school choosing. Thanks in advance. Here we go.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Mid-West large public university

Undergrad GPA: 3.95

Type of Grad:N/A

Grad GPA:N/A

GRE: 170Q, 165V, 5.5W

Math Courses: Calculus I and II by AP, Calculus III, Multivariable Calculus (A), Linear Algebra (A), Intro to proof and logic (A), Vector Analysis (A), Complex Analysis (A), Differential Equations (A), Honor Real Analysis I & II (both A-), Master-level Real Analysis I & II (both A), Partial Differential Equations (A), Probability (A), Differential Geometry (A), Abstract Algebra I (IP)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro Theory I (A), Micro Theory II (IP)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A), Economic History (A), Labor Economics (A), Econometrics I (A), Econometrics II (A), Game Theory (A)

Other Courses: C++ (A-), Accouting (A), Mathematical Statistics II (A), Grad-level Statistics Theory I (A), Grad-level Statistics Theory II (A), Probability Theory (IP), some other sociology courses since before that was my major

Letters of Recommendation: Two from my econ professors, one from my maths professor. Their letters should be good.

Research Experience: one semester and summer on microeconomics; currently working on my own honor thesis.

Teaching Experience: Tutoring for Calculus I-III and math topics of engineers for a whole year; teaching assistant for calculus.

Research Interests: Microeconomics and/or Econometrics.

SOP: IP, all about my own experience.

Concerns: Honor Real Analysis are both A- ... I do not have to much research experience, and in fact I started doing research at the beginning of this year.

Applying to:This is where I need some help. Thanks.

Edited by whoami

I think people who haven't yet applied should, in general, refrain from providing evaluations to other profiles, or at least try to provide more concrete reasoning behind their evaluation.

In fact, profile evaluation threads are usually pretty pointless and oftentimes misleading; most applicants would get a better sense of where they fit simply by reading the Profiles and Results threads, the FAQs and other previous threads. Just putting this out here since there's usually a frenzy of profile evaluations around this time of the year.

Your profile is very close to mine. You should get in top 5-10. Consider applying to the Fed/RAships also because if you do not get in this round you probably will after a year or two. Also, apply to Northwestern and if your interests lie towards micro theory consider applying to the MECS program instead of econ.