Urch Forums

Please evaluate my profile, thanks!! economics phd

masterfirm

Hello All!!

So I graduated from a small liberal arts school in the northeast about a year ago...

Here are my stats

GPA 3.79

Math courses

Calc

1 A

2 A

3 C

Differential Equations C

Linear Alegebra B

Logic Set Theory and Proofs B+

GRE 160Q 160V 4AWA

Here is a list graduate schools I plan to apply to. Let me know if i have a shot.

[TABLE=width: 154]

[TR]

[TD]NYU[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]UCSD[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Cornell[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Brown[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Maryland College Park[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Arizona[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Univeristy of Pitt[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Vanderbilt[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Santa Barbara[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]USC[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Boulder[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Oregon[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]California Santa Cruz[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Souther Methodist[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Georgia State[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Hawaii[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]University of Toronto[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I think you can save some money by not applying to the first 6 on your list, as well as UofT.

thanks for the feedback mate! do you think it would help if i were to re-take the GRE? i had an off day on the math section and could probably score a 165+ Q if i were to re-take it

What I can say with certainty is that this is not competitive for any top 50 program, unless you happen to have decent research experience and LORs, which is highly unlikely given that you come from a LAC.

Where the precise range would be would depend on your answers to pch's questions above, as well as the selectivity/reputation of your LAC.

What I can say with certainty is that this is not competitive for any top 50 program, unless you happen to have decent research experience and LORs, which is highly unlikely given that you come from a LAC.

Where the precise range would be would depend on your answers to pch's questions above, as well as the selectivity/reputation of your LAC.

Thanks for the feedback

I have taken econometrics, intermediate micro/macro... in addition to a bunch of other econ courses that would be considered lower level than these. I have received A's in every econ course I have taken.

No research exp

The optimal route right now would probably be either "not get a PhD" or "spend a few years working as an RA and taking more courses". Depends on why you wanted to get a PhD and what your opportunity cost is.

Working as an RA is probably out of the question right now. I work full time and need some form of income in order to survive.

What are the main problems with my resume? Do you think I will get into any of the schools on the list?

I think that even if you retake the GRE it will be very difficult (but not impossible) but to improve your chances retaking your GRE and scoring at least 165 in the quantitative section would be the first logical step.

You could look for a paid research assistant job, perhaps at some think tank, ngo, maybe local government or private research institute if you can't get paid at your university. I don't know exactly the opportunities available where you live but it would make sense to search. You could also do it part-time which will probably be difficult but not impossible to do alongside your current job.

I think that even if you retake the GRE it will be very difficult (but not impossible) but to improve your chances retaking your GRE and scoring at least 165 in the quantitative section would be the first logical step.

You could look for a paid research assistant job, perhaps at some think tank, ngo, maybe local government or private research institute if you can't get paid at your university. I don't know exactly the opportunities available where you live but it would make sense to search. You could also do it part-time which will probably be difficult but not impossible to do alongside your current job.

Thanks, I will search around and see what type of RA positions are available. How do you know so much about economics phd admissions?

That quantitative GRE score isn't doing you any favors. IMO if you retake the GRE and get a better score and perhaps take real analysis and get a good grade then you will look better from a mathematical-preparation perspective than you do now.

I guess it depends on what your career objectives are. If you are serious about getting admitted into a decent program, though, you have some work to do before applying. Retaking the GRE is a low-cost way to improve your profile. If you expend a little bit of effort into preparing for the test you should be able to earn a higher score. If you can't, then that suggests that phd-level coursework may be difficult for you.

Of the schools you posted, here are the ones that I think wouldn't reject you without giving your application actual consideration:

Oregon

Georgia State

SMU

Hawaii.

UCSC and Colorado are outside the top 50, slightly, but are selective because they are in desirable locations. They are both selective with respect to who they offer funding to, as well. UCSC actually doesn't offer funding to many applicants at all.

thanks for the feedback everyone - I really appreciate all these posts.So i'm getting a general idea that i need to re-take the GRE and score above a 165.

So assuming I do score above a 165 on the next GRE attempt, which schools out of the list do you think i might have a shot at?

Also, could anyone provide some decent programs with strong development/environmental reputations that you think I would have a shot at after getting a 165?

Thanks in advance everyone