Urch Forums

Boston College vs Indiana Univ. vs Tinbergen Institute

weixin0127

Hi guys, I've got offers from IUB and TI, but waitlist from BC.

My primary interest is in econometrics, esp. financial econometrics.

Let's make a comparison:

(1) Academic strength:

Based on ranking at Econphd-econometrics, TI is better then the rest, comprised of UvA (rank 15), EUR (rank 23), and VU (rank 54), while BC ranks 20, and IUB only ranks 119. link: http://econphd.econwiki.com/rank/reconm.htm. But this ranking is somewhat outdated.

Based on IDEAS, the rankings are BC(ranks 28)>TI(ranks 45)>IUB(ranks 54). Taking the flyouts into consideration, I would consider like this: BC>TI>IUB. link:Untitled - Flyout ranking!

And, just now, I noticed that in the ranking by Tilburg Economics Ranking (based on 2008-2012), UvA(rank 23)>IUB(rank 42)>BC(rank 61).

Based on ranking for authors at IDEAS, TI has Siem Koopman (ranks 61), Herman van Dijk (ranks 99);

BC has Arthur Lewbel (ranks 46), Zhijie Xiao (ranks 103), and Christopher F Baum (ranks 125);

IUB has Joon Park (ranks 51).

Well, let's forget ranking...

(2) Location

Let's say, U.S. is still the center of academia, you can get the connection of Yale, MIT, WB, IMF, FED, then the whole world...while at TI, it's only possible to get connection in London, ECB...

(3) Personal

My fiancee is going to MSF at Rochester, so a job is much more possible to expect at Boston, not any cities around Bloomington...So, forget all the above reasons.

BC is my best choice!!!

huh, what do you guys think?

Don't know the specifics of your area, but I'll comment on location.

I don't think it is true that you have no connections if you are in Europe. Don't know TI, but at most other top schools in the old continent a large number students spend one year at a top US university (I've seen more than one co-advised by top Stanford and Chicago profs). It may not be the case of TI, but is surely something that you can check out easily. Just check out how many of your favorite US economists coauthor with EU profs. Of course in the case of BC location plays an important role with connections.

I don't know if that plays any role at all, but at TI you would be at the top institution in the country and at BC at the 4th (?) in the Boston area.

Both Amsterdam and Boston are exciting cities (I've never been to Bloomington). I guess the weather is much better in Boston, but I've visited Amsterdam mostly in the winter and been to Boston just once in the summer...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, gradhope, for your reply.

I think you've mentioned a good point that connections are not bound to locations now. People can surely get connections via Internet, so this can not be a big weakness of European universities.

But now, I've come up with another weakness of European schools, that is, they are less possible to attract top students than their American peers. In other words, let's say TI and IUB are both Tier 2 econ programs, but IUB can attract better students from all around the world, and then as a whole, students from IUB can have better placements, though both of them are strong in faculties and other learning resources.

I'm not sure if I'm right in this point.

Thanks, gradhope, for your reply.

I think you've mentioned a good point that connections are not bound to locations now. People can surely get connections via Internet, so this can not be a big weakness of European universities.

But now, I've come up with another weakness of European schools, that is, they are less possible to attract top students than their American peers. In other words, let's say TI and IUB are both Tier 2 econ programs, but IUB can attract better students from all around the world, and then as a whole, students from IUB can have better placements, though both of them are strong in faculties and other learning resources.

I'm not sure if I'm right in this point.

Why would you think that TI cannot attract betters students than Indiana University? I would think the opposite is true.

Regarding connection, I also don't see your point. Researchers travel across the ocean frequently and I can assure you that the fact they are in Europe does not mean that they must be less connected.

IUB is definitely at least one class lower than TI if not more. If TI is Tier 2, IUB is like Tier 4.

And look at the actual placements and not which university "can have better placements". Placement Record 2014 - Tinbergen and https://economics.indiana.edu/home/graduate-program/job-market-placement/ Why are we even comparing the two?