Urch Forums

Columbia vs Northwestern

tk421x69

Hey All--

I'm choosing between these two. I really don't know what I want to study. I am interested in Microtheory and Development, but am not sold on either, so would probably want a well-rounded department to explore my interests.

In terms of placement, it seems that both schools are good on average--though NU placements seem best in Microtheory, IO, and Metrics and Columbia has good recent placement in Development, Macro, and Applied Theory.

I think that NU probably has more prestige within Economics currently, but Columbia definitely seems to be on the up and up. Columbia's infamous 2004-2005 hires seem to making a big difference and their placement reflects that. I would argue that their placement in the last 3 years has been about as good as any of the top 10 schools (other than Harvard/MIT).

What do y'all think? Are my assessments fair? What would you choose and why? Any other academic considerations I've left out?

Thanks!

I would choose Northwestern, but that's because I want to do Micro theory and IO. If my interests were more broad or I wasn't sure about my interests, I would go to Columbia, no question.

How about this. Take the Columbia offer, and tell Northwestern to just admit me, instead.