Urch Forums

talk me into Queens MA

flopson

Apologies for starting so many self-centred threads but the forum seems slow so...

I just got accepted into Queens MA with a TA-ship. My profile was not strong and so I am VERY happy and will almost definitely accept (I have ten days and am wait-listed for U of T and UBC MA; unless they accept me soon this is by far my best offer--other admits: McGill MA (10K$) and BGSE (no $))

Having said that, I am not TOTALLY stoked about the prospect of living in Kingston, Ontario. I grew up and have lived in Montreal my whole life, a fairly big, culturally bumping city with a lot going on (and that I participate in to a large degree--often to the detriment of my studies.) HOWEVER, it's only a year and I am eager to buckle down and cram economics for 10 months without all the distractions of my home city. I love that I will have an office (!) and I love that there is a mandatory thesis and that I will be a TA. The rent doesn't look too high. If the department is really as "collegiate" as rumours indicate, that would be great.

Mainly I am just looking for some reassurance. Not necessarily to make the decision, but to ease my mind. I will likely accept before finding out if I got through wait-list at UBC or Toronto. They want me to give a "firm-acceptance" by April 10, whatever that means. Basically looking for someone to say "you are crazy for even feeling slightly hesitant about this."

My main question is: are Queens placements really that good? I have no chance of ever getting into top 10 or 15 PhD but anything top 20 - 30 would be an astronomical achievement given my UG grades. Is there really room to improve by acing an MA if your undergrad GPA is bad? Or is it just confirmation bias (best students who would have gotten into top programs regardless apply to best MA programs then get in)? The most recent threads I could find on Queens placement were from 2007, and my impression was that it had a better record than U of T or UBC. Is there any indication that this is still the case?

Links to useful threads also helpful (Advanced Search function not working for me) and any info from Queens students or alumni.

I think you should be thrilled to go to Queens. However, I don't see any harm in waiting until the last minute to post your acceptance. Why not see if you have others options (meaning you got through UBC or UofT's waitlist). Also, while I haven't ever looked at Canadian Master's placements, the big 3 (Queen's, U of T, and UBC) for them are supposed to be legit. So yeah, it's quite feasible if you do well to crack the top 30.

• 2 weeks later...

I completed a masters program at Queen's last August, and heading back this fall for a masters/PhD program. I grew up in Ottawa so was hesitant about living in Kingston- but ended up really enjoying it. Most students live within walking distance to campus, which is right on the lake and close to downtown. It's also close to Toronto/Montreal/Ottawa and it's fairly easy to get Rideshares for when you want to visit home. It is a smaller city, but I think you get out what effort you put in. There is a lot you can do to get involved with the community and explore the area. If you do attend, a good start to the year may be to attend orientation events for graduate students put on by the School of Graduate Studies. It's a good way to meet new people and develop a support network.

As for placements, I think it really depends on your particular program. From what I understand in my own program, what they look for in PhD applicants is how well you do in coursework, research project and publications. I would talk to your supervisor and the department to get a sense of what the MA would offer you and how it could fit into your long-term plans.

Good luck!

I am trying to decide between an MA in Economics at Queen's or University of Toronto. I have heard negative things about the program at the University of Toronto from a former student who graduated last year. However, it seems that most people on this forum would place U of T before Queen's. Can anyone offer advice on which program they think is better if I am planning on working in the private sector after? Also this is my first time posting so sorry if it is posted in the wrong place!

Can anyone offer advice on which program they think is better if I am planning on working in the private sector after?

Toronto is more centrally located, and consequently has a greater number of recruiters come through town. Both are very good programs though.

• 3 weeks later...