18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better

• UC Riverside (full funded)
    • Rutgers (unfunded)
    • Stony Brook (unfunded)
    • North Carolina State (unfunded)
    • CUNY (funded)

Hello everyone,

About my options: UC Riverside(full funded), Rutgers(unfunded), Stony Brook(unfunded), North Carolina State(wait list for funding, chance is small), CUNY(interviewed last week, will probably get a decision next week).

About me: I am not really interested in academic jobs, which are pretty difficult to get. Instead, I would like to go to private sector and government agencies. Also, I do not have a strong interest in a particular field.

Can you guys give me some advice? If I go unfunded, I will apply for student loan for the first year. However, chances are big for the following years to get funding as long as I pass the qualifying exams.

This is my first post. Thanks.

Thanks, moneyandcredit. First reply to my first post :)

I have not yet heard from CUNY after the interview. I put it in the poll because I will consider it only if it offers me funding. Do you know anything about other schools? What about UC Riverside?

I'd strongly advise against taking an unfunded PhD offer. There is too much variation in job outcomes, especially at lower ranked programs, for you to take on the risk of debt (you're essentially gambling on your future earnings - which you do not know much about at this point). Bear in mind that as a grad student the cheapest form of loans you'll have access to are unsubsidized federal loans. IIRC correctly, they're revamping the program to ensure that everybody gets at least partial funding, hence their new practice of interviewing prospects. If you get accepted to CUNY then its somewhere you should strongly consider.

• 2 weeks later...