Urch Forums

MA: Duke vs. Bocconi

pch

Which program is a better choice?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which program is a better choice?

Hi guys, sorry for posting another one of those threads but I'm having a really hard time deciding. I've been accepted by both MA programs. Duke is with some funding, I don't know about Bocconi yet but let's put money out of the equation.

My goal is to get into a top 20 phd program in Europe or the US (with most of the considered options being in the US).

My research interests are political econ and development, but I reckon this will matter much more in my PhD program applications 2 years from now, so I wouldn't want this to skew my decision toward Bocconi too much.

In either of the programs I'd like to mainly get more math exposure and gain some RA experience, and get LORs from better known professors. I'd also try to take some PhD courses, if allowed.

Which school would be a better choice? Why? I know quite a bit about both already, but surely I don';t know everything so any comments and suggestions are welcome!

Question for those of you who pick Bocconi:

I've heard from several sources that it is particularly difficult for non-Italian students to excel in the Bocconi Master's programs. The reason is supposed to be that foreign students are not acquainted with the way classes and exams are conducted in Italy (and particularly at Bocconi) and don't have the same working relationship with the professors as continuing students, and therefore find it much harder relative to students who did their Bachelor's at Bocconi.That makes me wonder - are PhD placements of international students on average worse than those of Italian students?

I tried to get an answer from Bocconi itself to this and some other questions but they are not particularly swift at responding (in fact, they haven't answered some of my e-mails altogether), which doesn't leave me with a good opinion about their organization.