Urch Forums

teaching econ in HS?

walkingthepath

hey guys - long story short; been working on wall street for a few years, am looking to apply to phd programs this coming fall. was recently made the offer to teach AP econ at a private high school. any thoughts on how this would be received by adcoms? should i simply stay on wall st? would make the move really to get a taste for teaching, while taking a break from being burnt out after wall st while applying to programs. should i leave it out from my application altogether? thanks

I don't think there will be any advantage to doing it as far as admissions are concerned, but I wouldn't leave it out of your application. Would you be teaching for a year? If I were in your position I would stay on Wall St until 2-4 months before the program started and then take a nice holiday (depending on bonus cycle).

I don't think there will be any advantage to doing it as far as admissions are concerned, but I wouldn't leave it out of your application. Would you be teaching for a year? If I were in your position I would stay on Wall St until 2-4 months before the program started and then take a nice holiday (depending on bonus cycle).

Yeah, agreed, that was the original plan, though this offer just came out of nowhere, so have been dabbling with it.

I think it might be a bad idea to leave your wallstreet job to teach. You should instead try to reduce your hours as much as you can and see if you can cook up a good reason to learn programming, time series econometrics, and financial economics. Your income now is going to count a long way towards your quality of life in grad school, and if you don't have a good admissions season, staying at your job will leave you in a better place to decide what to do next.

Of course, if you are confident that you can get in somewhere next year that'd be worth attending, and if your dream is to teach (rather than do research), it could be worth considering. Just keep in mind that the more money you have, the more you can invest in your own success in grad school.

hey guys - long story short; been working on wall street for a few years, am looking to apply to phd programs this coming fall. was recently made the offer to teach AP econ at a private high school. any thoughts on how this would be received by adcoms? should i simply stay on wall st? would make the move really to get a taste for teaching, while taking a break from being burnt out after wall st while applying to programs. should i leave it out from my application altogether? thanks

To be honest, most won't notice, and among those that do notice, most won't care.

I don't think it would really make a difference either way. By all means go for it if you feel like you are burnt out and would prefer to spend the year teaching instead. If you decide to teach, no reason to leave it off your resume. But if you are mainly doing it for an admissions boost rather than because you want to for its own sake, I would pass as I don't think it would really make a difference.