Urch Forums

Unfunded 1st year or Prestigeous RAship?

caffeine

I was accepted to my favorite program but unfunded for the 1st year. Currently I'm trying to decide between this 1st year program and a 2-year RAship with two very famous economists at a top 3 program. I would have accepted the school's admission immediately if it came with 1st year funding. And I would have accepted the RAship immediately if I knew that I would be able to get very good letters at the end of the 2-years. The main hesitation I have is that I'm going to get some Bs in math courses which will bring my math/econ gpa down to just over a 3.6.

Regarding the RAship:

pros: super famous economists, I'll be getting paid, possible co-authorship, might be able to take classes at their Uni.

cons: letters may not be as strong as my current letters, lower GPA for next admission cycle, 2 years of my life.

Regarding unfunded grad school:

pros: grad school now at my favorite program

cons: unfunded = $50,000 of debt

Regarding the RAship:

cons: letters may not be as strong as my current letters, lower GPA for next admission cycle, 2 years of my life.

I don't quite understand how this is possible. Your current letter writers are more famous than "Super famous economists" at a "top 3 program," AND they can say more about you than these economists would after you have RA'd for them for 2 years and 'potentially' co-authored? If that's true, I don't understand why you received a 1st year unfunded offer-you should have had the keys to the palace.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but this doesn't add up. Are you (unconsciously) deliberately hedging your opinion because you'd rather not RA for 2 years?

I agree with everyone, go for the RAship. With $50,000 debt your favourite program will not be your favourite for too long: this way, you get to hold out for funded offers. And yes while there is a chance your new letters will not be stronger, but surely the likely outcome is that they will be stronger than at least one of your current letters (at the least, you will have more ways to combine letters). Finally the RAship will probably be good preparation for the PhD, potentially setting you up for better long-term placements. I think it's a no-brainer.

I don't quite understand how this is possible. Your current letter writers are more famous than "Super famous economists" at a "top 3 program," AND they can say more about you than these economists would after you have RA'd for them for 2 years and 'potentially' co-authored? If that's true, I don't understand why you received a 1st year unfunded offer-you should have had the keys to the palace.

I'm not trying to be an ***, but this doesn't add up. Are you (unconsciously) deliberately hedging your opinion because you'd rather not RA for 2 years?

Let me be more clear, by "letters may not be as strong as my current letters." I meant that I don't think they're going to get to know me as well as my current letter writers (rec letters from this round of admissions). And this is related to a question debated on this forum a lot: letter from not famous economist who knows you very well and thinks you're hot **** vs. letter from famous economist who will most likely not know me that well and who will most likely believe that I'm average or even below average.

Also, a thing I forgot to mention is that one of the profs I would be RAing for mentioned that due to a few (like 3!) my B's in mathematics courses, I should get a MA first before applying to PhD programs. This is one of the main reasons why I believe the letter from this guy won't be very strong.

I admit, it seems like every time I think about this, I go back and forth.

Also, a thing I forgot to mention is that one of the profs I would be RAing for mentioned that due to a few (like 3!) my B's in mathematics courses, I should get a MA first before applying to PhD programs. This is one of the main reasons why I believe the letter from this guy won't be very strong.

I am not at all trying to suggest that all professors are built alike. What I can say is that I ended up with like a 2.8 math GPA where math was one of my majors. My advisor is 'famous.' I have managed to impress the hell out of him to the point that it seems like he is going to make some phonecalls when I apply in the fall. Grades are how most people get their foot in the door, but it is your tenacity and ability that will take you places. (Your ability to be liked and network will help). Right now, your post doesn't suggest that you have the stalwart to cultivate the relationships from this RAship that you should be. Again, i'm not trying to be a ****, its the brutal truth. If you can realize it, you can quite easily cultivate a working 2 year relationship into the most amazing letter.

Put differently: I only spent 3 weeks with a famous visiting professor, and I tried my damndest to cultivate that relationship so that I can get a potentially good LoR. I seemed to impress him in that short time - it doesn't hurt that my advisor and him are friends. My point is that if I can cultivate a relationship in 3 weeks, you must be able to cultivate one in 2 years or you are going to have a very rough road ahead of you.

If you are talking of an RA position for Gentzkow and Shapiro, I would not hesitate to take it. (This may be a shot in the dark, but it does fit the description)

Agreed, I interviewed for this position (no offer) and would have taken it in a heartbeat over any other option.

Let me be more clear, by "letters may not be as strong as my current letters." I meant that I don't think they're going to get to know me as well as my current letter writers (rec letters from this round of admissions). And this is related to a question debated on this forum a lot: letter from not famous economist who knows you very well and thinks you're hot **** vs. letter from famous economist who will most likely not know me that well and who will most likely believe that I'm average or even below average.

Right, but wouldn't these two famous economists know you pretty well by the time you do ask them for recommendations? You'll have been working full time for them for the better part of 15 months by then, so I figure you have time to impress them with your skills and insights. I think your concern is totally overblown -- you have a golden opportunity that will save you money in the short run, likely improve your chance at a funded admission later, and make you a better researcher by the time you start your doctoral studies to boot. The best choice is unambiguously in favor of the RA position.