Urch Forums

I need serious opinions

gccg

Hello all, I am posting here because I would like to ask for some opinions about my situation. Since March I am doing research with a professor because I would like to apply to a PhD program whether in USA or UK. But, I don't have a strong economic background because I studied Industrial Engineering in a South American country. I have already studied a master so I have lived the hard life that postgraduate gives.

The opinions that I am looking for are: which ways do you recommend me to achieve a PhD program (Master in UK->PhD, PhD USA or a Chilean master-my country->PhD) and with my actual profile, I do have certain chances to be admitted in a graduate program (top 50, preference top 30, dream top 10).

My profile is something like this:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Industrial Engineering (4 years Bachelor+2 professional title)

Undergrad GPA: Don't have the conversion (5.6 of a scale 1-7), but I was top one (in grades) in Bachelor of Engineering Science

Type of Grad: Management Science

Grad GPA: Don't have the conversion (6 of a scale 1-7), first student (in grades)

GRE: Not taken yet

Math Courses: Introduction to Calculus, Differential Calculus, Multivariate Calculus, Differential Equations, Geometry, Linear Algebra, Statisticas and Probabilities, Applied Statistics, Modeling Workshop, Probability and Sthocastic Processes (master), Statistics for Management (master).

Econ Courses: Introduction to Economics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Industrial Organization, Topics in Games Theory (master), Econometrics (master).

Other Courses: Optimization, Operations Research, Calculus and Optimization (Master), Multivariate Analysis (master), Revenue Management and other physics courses.

Letters of Recommendation: The one I'm working with (graduated from Yale and is a professor at USC) and another one who is a chief of a division in IDB. I'm looking for another strong letter from an economist.

Research Experience: Just started on march

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: I don't know yet

My university is very good at business and the first one in MBA in LATAM. But as you know, Chilean universities are not that good comparing with the rest of the world.

P.S. I know that some universities give space to foreign students. Maybe that could be a little help.

Thank you!

If it was Universidad de Chile or Universidad de Catolica, then I think you have a shot at applying straight into PhD programs. If you didn't study at either of those universities, OR if you did but don't have recommendations from any econ professors at those universities, than I do not think you have very good prospects and would be better off with additional coursework at a reputable institution's MA program.

I know one person with what I believe to be almost the exact profile (also international europe/latam), except maybe slightly weaker on the letter front, and no masters in economics (but masters in industrial engineering). I assume that your school is not a nationally low-ranked university. The person I know applied to various programs in top 30, and got into one US program ranked between 15 and 20. I believe his GRE quant was 168/169/170. I'd think you could replicate his success, or do somewhat better if you have strong letters. I'm sure others will give you far more conservative estimates of where you might place. My sample size is only n=1, but it's better than n=0, or estimating based on a pure american applicant sample. On that note, I'd encourage you to find current PhD students who came from similar comparable programs to your own, with respect to geography, field of study and prestige.

Some people are adamant about not contact professors in advance. However, it might be a good idea to reach out to Chilean (you were Chilean right?) professors at Top20 schools asking them for advice. If you listed your profile in the same format as here, they'd be able to get a quick overview of your profile as well. I think the important thing here is to compare yourself to similar people also in terms of geography, (i.e. not U.S. applicants).

I'd say apply to 10-20 (if you can afford it, and your letter writers don't mind) PhD programs in the Top 25 or so range that you'd really like to go to and ideally also places where your letter writers had some connections (e.g. Yale?). Then apply to the top 5 or so pre-PhD masters programs as well.

Also look at non-UK masters like BGSE, CEMFI, Bocconi, Tilburg, Duke, NYU, Canadian programs, etc.

I wish you the best of luck!

Hello all, I am posting here because I would like to ask for some opinions about my situation. Since March I am doing research with a professor because I would like to apply to a PhD program whether in USA or UK. But, I don't have a strong economic background because I studied Industrial Engineering in a South American country. I have already studied a master so I have lived the hard life that postgraduate gives.

I PMed you ;)

Thanks to all of you. Unfortunately this is not binary and it is very difficult to take decisions.

Cerealist, I have talked to some Chilean economists and they have all told me whether apply to a master or a PhD program overseas.They have told me (one of them was in a commission in Michigan) that GRE+TOEFL and research experience are the first filters when commissions receive applications. But the last months I have found that background in economics is important as well (because of the high competition around the world). Thank you for your advice, I was talking to my father and I think the mix (of different type of applications) you're talking about should be the best way to start studying economics.

I'm not really sure if I do a master here in Chile I would get strong letters of recommendation.

Any other opinions?

Thanks.