Urch Forums

Self-taught math good enough for econ PhD applications

jcusack1

I am a senior double major in business management and accounting and I am interested in getting my PhD in econ. I have not taken many math classes in college (business calculus & finite math) but I have taken a lot of econ classes and done well(I think all A's). I have one more year but don't have enough credit hours to finish my double majors and take math classes. I also took econometrics and got an A.

I know self-taught math will hurt my application to PhD programs but by how much? Is there no way I can get into a top 50,100 program? Is there a standardized test I can take to prove my math abilities?

It will hurt it a lot. I don't see you getting into a T50 program with only business calc and finite math on your transcript. There is no standardized test that can prove your math abilities as the GRE is too easy and the Math GRE is too hard. Most other people in your position go back for 1 or 2 years as a non-degree student and take some hard math classes. I'm not sure a master's program will help you much either since your deficiency is in math, not econ. Besides, I'm not sure you have enough math for most top-level MA programs either.

Reputable economics programs often have as a minimum requirement both multivariate calculus and linear algebra. I do not see your application getting reviewed anywhere in the top-50 without your recommenders calling on your behalf and insisting that you are somebody like the next Steven Levitt.

So what if I audit those classes like calc and linear algebra

There would still be no indication of how well you did in those classes. Also bear in mind that when people here talk about calc, they mean multivariable calc. At most schools that means 3 semesters of calculus, often 4. I'm not sure if your business calc counts somehow towards the progression, though if it anything like my institution it probably does not. As a result, you're looking at three more semesters of school even ignoring all the other requirements.

There are many resources of self-learning in Calculus. If you are confident, and if you have a lot of time in this and the next month, just learn Cal II now and directly go to Cal III in the next semester. And you can register for Cal I just to get a grade on it at the same time.

BTW, I believe that there are schools which only offer 2 semester of calculus but succeed in covering all materials needed.

I oppose ideas like 'to take course XXX (especially topology) in order to send a signal' in general, but your circumstance (too little formal training) is an exception for sure.

If more professors knew about the GRE math maybe it could have helped. Because if you can do well on it, then it shows that you have a mastery of Calculus, linear and abstract algebra, and then a bunch of logic, topology and analysis stuff, basically as much math as a math undergrad major.

But since most don't know, your best bet is taking those classes. I know it's not ideal.

The auditing thing may work, but I don't know much about that.

Self thought math is as good as no math for application purposes. I have thought my self calc and wanted to do RA but the professors would not feel I actually learned anything and did not let me. Now this was in a school where I was already a student during undergrad, I can only imagine what professors from other schools would think.

You need some evidence in your application documents to show that you are good in math. If you don't have math courses in your transcript, I can only come up with two ways for you. The first is expecting your recommender to praise your math skill in the recommendation letter. The second is having a writing sample which can demonstrate your math skill.

Transcripts, while imperfect, still remain the most credible signal of competence in an academic subject. Therefore failure to provide transcripts littered with math classes will be viewed as a sign of mathematical incompetence and will adversely affect your chances of gaining admission into a credible economics PhD program.

Reputable economics programs often have as a minimum requirement both multivariate calculus and linear algebra. I do not see your application getting reviewed anywhere in the top-50 without your recommenders calling on your behalf and insisting that you are somebody like the next Steven Levitt.

I'm pretty sure if any of your LORs writters ever referred to you as the next Levitt your application will end up in the paper shredder faster than the kid with a C average in advanced math classes.