Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation PhD Econ - MBA Candidate Canada :_

atush

Age 26 :pirate:

GMAT - Math 50/51 Verbal 30/51

Undergrad- Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Science) GPA -3.2 From India.

Work Experience 3.6 years (Software engineer) In Wipro Ltd. :devilish:

I am going to Canada this fall to study MBA in Finance from Memorial University of Newfoundland.

I have deep interest in Financial Economics and want to go for PhD in USA. :apple:

Studied many advance math courses in Engineering (attached list of courses MBA + Undergrad Math)

Can I get admission in PhD program in USA (Under Top 50) not aiming for Top 10. :dejected:

Please suggest anything which I should do to improve my profile. I will give GRE next fall and will take Econ courses along MBA Finance courses.

Memorial University in not a top university in Canada but it is very affordable university. Will it impact my chance of admission that I am not from Econ background and I studied in not so famous university.

Math Courses (Engineering)

DIFFERENTIAL CALCULUS

INTEGRAL CALCULUS

DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS

MATRICES

Please see the attachment for complete list of math courses...:encouragement::encouragement:

I hate to be that guy, but your chances are epsilon. An unknown international MBA is generally not the route to a top 50 US program, especially with an Indian undergrad. Getting reputable letters is going to be close to impossible and your gpa isn't ideal.

I hate to be that guy, but your chances are epsilon. An unknown international MBA is generally not the route to a top 50 US program, especially with an Indian undergrad. Getting reputable letters is going to be close to impossible and your gpa isn't ideal.

You are telling me that what I am aiming for is impossible..

Why So......

You have demotivated me...:cold:

Please somebody suggest something positive.....

Edited by atush

It makes no sense to go for an Econ PhD after an MBA. People who go for an MBA usually intend to start working immediately after.

MBA courses are not rigorous at all, the coursework you do there will be meaningless for econ admissions. Most people who go for an MBA do it for the networking opportunities and well just for another degree title to possibly get a higher paying job.

Also, you seem to have no experience what so ever in economics. Do you even think you'll like it? At this point it just looks like you're trying to enter the U.S

If you're serious about an Econ PhD, then drop out of the MBA and go for a masters instead. Canadian Econ masters are pretty good, doing well in them could get you into the Top 50.

Thanks for honest review. But really I am not trying to enter into States just for sake of it. Please that is so disgusting. USA is not a best place to live in this world. And moreover if my motive was to enter states then I could have taken a MS in Computer Science program which most Indians do. That could have been the easiest way for me because I have relevant work ex. But I am not going to do that because I want to make career in academia after PhD in Econ. Even though Top 50 will reject me that will not be problem for me. Edited by atush

I said that it looks like your intention is to enter the U.S since it seems odd that you want to go for an Econ PhD after an MBA. There is no logical progression between an MBA and an Econ PhD. It really does make no sense whatsoever.

I can understand if you realized towards the end of your MBA that you want to do an Econ PhD but you seem to have already decided that you want a PhD and yet you are planning to go for an MBA anyway. Do you see the problem here?

The top 100 might reject you if you apply with MBA coursework.

Go for a Masters instead of an MBA if you truly want to do a PhD, otherwise dont bother in all honesty.

Yeah I understand your views totally, but would it make sense If I take few more economics courses during MBA program, some of my alumni did that.

I also contacted head of Econ department and they told me that I can register for Econ courses (Intermediary Econ Macro & Micro). I will have option to choose research project in second year.

Will this help to show that even though I am doing MBA but I can show that I have taken many courses for application preparation.

Are these Intermediary Micro/Courses courses the same ones which masters/phd students take at the university? This is very important if you want letters of recommendation when you apply for a PhD.

You still haven't told us why you want to do an MBA at all if your plan is to go for a PhD? Econ Masters are generally cheaper and will no doubt prepare you better.

Yes these are the same courses which I will take from Econ department. I can study up to 4 non-business courses from any faculty in university. And If I want to take more in 2nd year I would need approval from my supervisor.

That is a sad part ..................

India is a developing country Castial, here getting a job is the only thing which matters, as I am not very rich so getting a job was important to me so worked as a software engineer for 3 years. Now my brother is working abroad and getting good salary so I am well supported and can pursue something else. I thought to apply for MS in Economics this year but along with this I had MBA admit, now I am running out of time so I took it.

I am doing MBA because In case everybody rejects me in worst case I will have a job @ Wipro.

This university is taking only $5600 tuition for two years. So I am not much worried about money investment, the only thing which I think all the time is how can I add more econ & finance courses to make my profile better. I am not much worried of Math as I have studied maths for two years..

I'm not worried about failure right now..I am on Sabbatical leave for two years..I just want to try once because I don't want to regret...Please suggest something..

I will put all my efforts to make it happen.

I have seen all MIT Open course Econ video (jonathan gruber), along with that I watch Khan Academy video to learn about accounting, micro & macro econ, finance, and banking. I also completed Financial market free yale course, it was great....

Edited by atush

Yeah Molan, I have browsed through the Current PhD students and Faculty members and I have seen people coming from MBA background.

I do understand that my MBA won't be that great but that is fine for me, I am aiming for average public state university with funding.

All I want to focus positively on application. I have spoken to few professors from Econ department of my university.

*Dr. Noel Roy, B.A. McGill, Ph.D. Johns Hopkins*

Dr. Roberto Martinez-Espineira, Licenciatura, Santiago de Compostela; M.Sc., D.Phil. York

They told me take 4-5 required courses. and they will help me with the recommendations.

I have no issues with math courses. So want to focus on Finance and Econ for next year.

Ok..then why are they doing this program..MS in Economics..it won't help to find jobs...

Today I got so much negative thoughts about my profile..thank you very much everybody.

Still I will apply and see what happens..Closing this thread now...Please don't reply anymore..

Ok..then why are they doing this program..MS in Economics..it won't help to find jobs...

Today I got so much negative thoughts about my profile..thank you very much everybody.

Still I will apply and see what happens..Closing this thread now...Please don't reply anymore..

You can't post your profile (in an odd format) looking for honest advice and then complain when you don't like the responses. Everyone is trying to help, and to minimize your chance of ending up with a useless degree and wasting years of your life pursuing a strategy that is not helpful for your end goal.

Your profile is extremely different to a traditional applicant. You need to realize that is a massive hurdle to overcome. Funded offers are only made to non-risky applicants.

How does it make a difference, I still have job..I am going to study MBA in Sabbatical..it is not like that I will only apply to grad school..that is something I want to ..but seems impossible now..

I will always look for jobs after MBA..I also have industry experience. Job will help to get Permanent Residency faster. This is not the problem...We should try at least once so that we don't need to regret later...that's all.

Also, just putting this out there but an MBA from a relatively low ranked Canadian university is not really going to open many doors in the private sector either. Half of these programs are essentially cash cows for international students.

It's completely possible that an Economics masters at the same or maybe a slightly better university will be a better bet or in the worst case no difference in terms of job prospects while at the same time ensuring that you have a better chance at getting into a PhD.

Ok I got it totally...From this degree I can't get anything..No job...No PhD..nothing...it is just waste of time...Good.

I really don't have money to pay for top programs, they have tuition like $100k...SCARY ?

I am happy with this university at least they will not put me in debts..I will be spending only 5-6k.

Ok I got it totally...From this degree I can't get anything..No job...No PhD..nothing...it is just waste of time...Good.

I really don't have money to pay for top programs, they have tuition like $100k...SCARY ?

I am happy with this university at least they will not put me in debts..I will be spending only 5-6k.

You're forgetting the opportunity costs. An econ master's in Canada costs far less than $100k. If you do very well in an Econ program, you can definitely get into top 50 US programs. They'll let you take the classes you need to prove your aptitude for econ research. MBA programs are designed for business managers, a completely different world.

Edited by tm_member

You are correct but it is too late to change the decision, I am going to Canada next month, and I am fine with MBA.

I can take few research project and can work with faculty in 2nd year, what do you think about this will it help.

[h=3]9301, 9302, 9303 - Research Project

The research project is designed to allow a candidate in the second year of the program to pursue specific research interests not available through present course offerings.[/h]I saw few Canadian PhD in Financial Econ grad programs, good funding and nice selection ratio, I will apply in these programs too.