Urch Forums

PhD in Finance - Maths units

usagi

Hi all, new user here. I am from Australia and have just finished my honours year of my undergraduate degree (essentially like a masters but shortened to a 1 year research intensive degree). I am planning to apply to top 10-20 finance PhD programs in the U.S. My question is regarding the signalling aspects of maths units on your transcript. I have done a multitude of maths/statistics units throughout my degree, the units I have done include: (note: I scored 90+ for all of these units and for the majority of them I received the unit prize for being the top scorer).

-Techniques for modelling (essentially undergraduate calculus)

-Discrete mathematics

-Multivariate calculus

-Linear algebra with applications

-Algebra and number theory

-Probability and statistical inference

-Introductory econometrics (essentially mathematical statistics)

-Principles of econometrics (essentially covers all rigorous proofs related to MLE)

-Bayesian time series analysis

-Real analysis (both second year and third year)

-Random and stochastic processes

Do you think these units are enough for signalling aspects? I am asking this because next semester I want to take Differential equations (ODEs) and Complex analysis, however I am not sure how much marginal benefit these two extra maths units will provide in terms of signalling. In terms of practicality, I am already quite knowledgeable in both topics but I want to know whether it is worth it to do them simply for the high mark on the transcript. Keep in mind that doing these two units will eat into my research time. Therefore the question is: is it worth it doing those two units or should I focus on research and submit papers to journals?

Thank you everyone!

Edited by usagi

You already have taken many math courses. I will suggest you to spend more time on doing research. You can have a good paper as a writing sample and let your advisor write a strong recommendation letter. You can also illustrate your math skill in your writing sample.

Insti's right. If you have the opportunity to take TS, then do it. It's not an easy and trivial subject (if taught at the right level), and it is used very extensively in finance. So it's probably one of the most important courses you can take if you wanna do finance.