Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation | Finance PhD looking at top program

Mbleima1

Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering applying to finance PhDs in the fall, and I know most of my stats are pretty good fits for what programs are looking for so I'm curious if I have a decent shot at the top 10-15 programs, which I know are hyper competitive.. And if I do, I'd be interested to hear advice on what I can do to improve my chances/push my app over the edge. Any advice is appreciated! By the way, I'm a 25 y/o America male.

Undergrad:

Top 3 liberal arts college

Double major in mathematics and political science

3.88 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa

Grad:

MA in international economics/finance

3.9 GPA

GRE: 800M (94 percentile), 710 V (97 percentile)

Relevant work experience:

-6 months at World Bank doing assisting with international financial transactions supporting private sector projects and PPPs , possibly staying for the year between now and when I would matriculate

-2 semesters of TA experience for a Wharton EMBA course on international corporate finance

Rec letters? I could get one from the Wharton professor, who I also took the class with in my graduate school; otherwise, what would be best? another finance professor from grad school, someone I've worked with at WB, one of my undergraduate math profs (say, real analysis or probability theory)?

Weakness: research experience? I don't have any academic research experience or publications or anything like that; not sure how important this is

So yeah, that's basically it. I'd be very interesting hearing opinions on rec letters and how to overcome not having any research experience, and generally how my profile fits for top programs. I'm going to begin crafting my personal statement soon, but I'm curious to hear everyones feedback at this preliminary stage. Thanks!

since your interest is in finance, you would have better response if you post in the business forum. Your profile does seem strong and your and if you were applying to econ programs I have to assume you would place well.
Thanks, I didn't notice there was a business PhD forum but I will post there!