Urch Forums

American student applying to European Economics PhD's

youngspartan

I am currently doing a lot of information gathering for PhD applications and I was wondering what the prospects are for American students to apply to Econ PhD programs in other countries (EU, UK).

1) Is it common?

2) Do Americans applying overseas face the same difficulties non-American face applying in the US?

3) Do Americans typically get accepted overseas?

Thank You

People have done it before. In some schools a masters is required, but in many others, you can do a 5 year program like in the US, or a 2+3 year system where your first 2 years are spent doing a masters.

As far as selectivity goes, LSE is as selective as a top 10, maybe top 20 school, If I could guess, Warwick should be as competitive as a top 50 US school. I may be wrong here though.

They would expect you to have taken some math as well.

I don't really see the difficulties you would face. Maybe funding in UK schools, but elsewhere, funding is pretty sweet.

People have done it before. In some schools a masters is required, but in many others, you can do a 5 year program like in the US, or a 2+3 year system where your first 2 years are spent doing a masters.

As far as selectivity goes, LSE is as selective as a top 10, maybe top 20 school, If I could guess, Warwick should be as competitive as a top 50 US school. I may be wrong here though.

They would expect you to have taken some math as well.

I don't really see the difficulties you would face. Maybe funding in UK schools, but elsewhere, funding is pretty sweet.

Not entirely true. In some places funding is very competitive if you are not EU citizen. Unlike in the US a lot of schools in Europe have funding for only a number of students

I would say that the best two economics PhDs in Europe are UCL and LSE. In the last few years LSE have placed into MIT, Berkeley and HBS, while UCL this year placed at Chicago, UC3M, Mannheim and UPF. I would also imagine that London would be a good place to live for an international student.

The next best PhD program for me is then IIES at Stockholm, which since 2010 has placed at Toronto, Columbia Business, Columbia International Affairs, UCSD, Oxford, Kennedy at Harvard and Chicago Booth.

Oxbridge appears to be great if you are aiming for industry, but if you want to work in academia they do not place well. Toulouse also appears to be very good by European standards. Other good European universities for economics include Mannheim and UPF.

After these universities it is a struggle to find other top international schools, of course you educational background and ability determine which set of schools you will apply to, but if you are able to get into a top 20ish North American program the only European schools that can match this are UCL, LSE and IIES in my opinion.

I would advice against judging the quality of European schools by their placements, since self-selection of graduates from European schools into European academic positions is quite evident, especially in light of generally lower mobility of Europeans.