Urch Forums

163 Q too low ?

bigriver

I think that you should retake. 163Q is a weak score for that range.

i got into a number of schools in that range with a 165, so having a 167+ score is clearly not necessary. However, obviously the higher your score the better.

I always like to mention that a perfect 800, the previous top score, is equal to a 166 on then new GRE. Even Harvard accepted a decent number of 790s and 780s (they had an accepted average of 797), which were around the mid 80s in percentile terms. A 165 puts you in the top 10% on the new exam.

I applied to and was accepted off of the waitlist to a circa 30th ranked program with a GRE quant of 161 (I only applied to two econ programs and got into both).. I wouldn't recommend it, but I would put my (admittedly last-minute) success up to having strong letter writers and showing up for visit day and making what I think was a good impression. I would have loved to have done better but took it twice and then just ran out of time with a heavy summer school load and an infant daughter.

If you have time, retake. But if other parts of your application are strong, it can help a lot.