Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation for 2015 (question on European MA/PhD)

happenstance

Hello All!

This forum is great. I just wish I have discovered and made use of it much earlier, before spending lots of time and $$ only to get a shut out for 2014.

So, before I reapply for 2015 admission, I would like to have your insights on what my chances are to be admitted by Toulouse M1, Tilburg MRes, or Queen's master. What rank of US PhD is a realistic goal given my current profile? Are Zurich and Bonn worth applying since they are small programs and difficult to get in?

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: US low-ranked private school

Undergrad GPA: 3.8

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: Q170 V165 AW3.5

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Statistics and Probability, Linear Algebra, ODE, Intro to Abstract Math, Discrete&Combinatorial Math (all A's)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro+Interm Micro & Macro(A's), Money and Banking(B+), Econometrics(A), Math Econ(A), IO(A), History of Econ Thought(A), Public Finance(B+)

Other Courses: random Gen Ed courses, a few philosophy courses

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Econ professors who have each taught me two courses and suggested would write extremely strong letters; 1 Abstract Math prof

Research Experience: basically just term papers

Teaching Experience: 2 semesters as TA for Intro Macro; tutor/grader for Calc I

Research Interests: definitely Micro: Behavioral, Decision Making, Experimental, Evolutionary, etc.

SOP: a large part was to talk about how the Econ Thought project I did in senior year got me into Economics, finally; also mentioned my interest in philosophy (problem?)

Concerns: lack of research experience, not enough tough math/econ, not well-known reference writers, low AWA score, 2 year out of school working on sth unrelated to econ

Other:

Applying to: to be dicided. maybe focus on masters that allow advancing to PhD.

Thank you for your time!!!

Edited by happenstance

I'm no expert, but your profile doesn't look too bad to me. It seems like you should be able to get into a PhD program somewhere. Usually, I think the advice is to keep your SOP short and to the point. I'd refrain from mentioning philosophy or too many details about what got you interested in econ. Instead, focus on highlighting your academic successes and interests within econ. Edited by Slimy
grammar

...get a shut out for 2014

I still hope someone could shed light on what range of schools I should be targeting.

It'd help if you told us a little more. Let's start with:

-Where you applied in 2014 (Since you got shut out)

-When you say 'low ranked,' does this mean 70+, 100+, 150+? Ph. D granting institution?

-Do the two professors whom wrote your LoR's do any research? DO they have any connections? Did you apply to programs you thought were right, or did your professors pick the programs for you to apply to?

-Can you get any Research Experience this semester in the Econ department?

-Are you willing to do a Master's first?

Hello All!

This forum is great. I just wish I have discovered and made use of it much earlier, before spending lots of time and $$ only to get a shut out for 2014.

So, before I reapply for 2015 admission, I would like to have your insights on what my chances are to be admitted by Toulouse M1, Tilburg MRes, or Queen's master. What rank of US PhD is a realistic goal given my current profile? Are Zurich and Bonn worth applying since they are small programs and difficult to get in?

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: US low-ranked private school

Undergrad GPA: 3.8

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: Q170 V165 AW3.5

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Statistics and Probability, Linear Algebra, ODE, Intro to Abstract Math, Discrete&Combinatorial Math (all A's)

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro+Interm Micro & Macro(A's), Money and Banking(B+), Econometrics(A), Math Econ(A), IO(A), History of Econ Thought(A), Public Finance(B+)

Other Courses: random Gen Ed courses, a few philosophy courses

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Econ professors who have each taught me two courses and suggested would write extremely strong letters; 1 Abstract Math prof

Research Experience: basically just term papers

Teaching Experience: 2 semesters as TA for Intro Macro; tutor/grader for Calc I

Research Interests: definitely Micro: Behavioral, Decision Making, Experimental, Evolutionary, etc.

SOP: a large part was to talk about how the Econ Thought project I did in senior year got me into Economics, finally; also mentioned my interest in philosophy (problem?)

Concerns: lack of research experience, not enough tough math/econ, not well-known reference writers, low AWA score, 2 year out of school working on sth unrelated to econ

Other:

Applying to: to be dicided. maybe focus on masters that allow advancing to PhD.

Thank you for your time!!!

i'm very interested in where you applied. Getting shut out with that profile seems harsh :O

Hello All!

It does seem harsh. I think what happens is that without websites like this, we underestimate the application process. If I had OP's profile without knowing this website, I would have applied to only the top 10.

Then you come here and realize what the applicant pool looks like.

OP I think it would be interesting to know the range you applied to. I think modifying the SOP and applying to a wider range will be beneficial.

HI @Econhead, @Blanket and @sulebrahim !

It'd help if you told us a little more. Let's start with:

-Where you applied in 2014 (Since you got shut out)

-When you say 'low ranked,' does this mean 70+, 100+, 150+? Ph. D granting institution?

-Do the two professors whom wrote your LoR's do any research? DO they have any connections? Did you apply to programs you thought were right, or did your professors pick the programs for you to apply to?

-Can you get any Research Experience this semester in the Econ department?

-Are you willing to do a Master's first?

-I applied to six programs ranked between 10-20 (according to US News best grad scools ranking) plus BU and UC Davis.

-My undergrad institution is ranked between 100-150 I guess. The Econ department is really small though and does not grant PhD.

-Being at teaching school the professors do some research, but probably not very active or recognizable. I picked the programs and asked for their opinion. Now that I think about it, one of my letter writers did mean to suggest applying to a wider range by saying certain things. Lol

-Getting research experience is a problem I do not know how to solve... To be honest, my econometrics skills are getting rusty.

-Please correct me if I'm wroung, but I get the feeling, from viewing posts here, that my type of profile is best complemented with a master degree before applying to PhD. I'm willing to do a master first, but would probably refrain from getting myself heavily in debt. (I did apply to UCL MSc. Econ and got in.) Although I am really curious about the range of PhD programs that i can get into directly.

Thank you for any insights!

Edited by happenstance

i'm very interested in where you applied. Getting shut out with that profile seems harsh :O

I definitely did not place myself in the right niche. I should have known that I have no shot at top 30 with this profile. :P

It does seem harsh. I think what happens is that without websites like this, we underestimate the application process. If I had OP's profile without knowing this website, I would have applied to only the top 10.

Then you come here and realize what the applicant pool looks like.

OP I think it would be interesting to know the range you applied to. I think modifying the SOP and applying to a wider range will be beneficial.

It is easy to get attention if you come from a small department, but the world out there is just too big. Lol

Thanks for your suggestion!

I do think a decent masters program in Canada, EU or some of the ones in the US like Duke may be helpful in the sense that it can add credibility to your profile. But if you are happy at a top 50 place, I think it's a realistic target.

You can always apply to both masters and PhD programs simultaneously

I definitely did not place myself in the right niche. I should have known that I have no shot at top 30 with this profile. :P

Note though that admissions decisions are inherently random. While it seems you can't get a top 20 admit, maybe you do have a shot at some top 20-30 school. I mean you only applied to UC Davis in that 20-30 range (I count BU as top 20), it might be possible that if you add more schools you get lucky.

Now I'm not suggesting concentrating on that 20-30 range only, but you might give it another shot by applying to a few more schools in that range. And definitely diversify much more. I agree with sulebrahim that a top 50 admit should be realistic in any case.

Note though that admissions decisions are inherently random. While it seems you can't get a top 20 admit, maybe you do have a shot at some top 20-30 school. I mean you only applied to UC Davis in that 20-30 range (I count BU as top 20), it might be possible that if you add more schools you get lucky.

Now I'm not suggesting concentrating on that 20-30 range only, but you might give it another shot by applying to a few more schools in that range. And definitely diversify much more. I agree with sulebrahim that a top 50 admit should be realistic in any case.

I do think a decent masters program in Canada, EU or some of the ones in the US like Duke may be helpful in the sense that it can add credibility to your profile. But if you are happy at a top 50 place, I think it's a realistic target.

You can always apply to both masters and PhD programs simultaneously

Thank you @sulebrahim and @fakeo!These are very helpful.