Urch Forums

BU's MA in Economics VS. JHU's MS in Applied Economics

rachel0801

I am looking to start this coming January (Spring term) and I'm mainly struggling between BU's MA in Economics and JHU's MS in Applied Economics.

I have been working and living in DC since 2011 but my contract ends at the end of November, i am an international and i am thinking of going full time at either institution, and my main purpose is not to pursue PhD (tho i will have this option open for anytime in the future) but to advance in my job. I currently work at an international organization where my responsibilities are very politics-policy oriented. The main reason why I want a degree in Economics is, these days, the demand for candidates with quantitative techniques and the ability to analyze data, and evaluate evidence is becoming so high. Especially knowledge in Econometrics just seems so essential in many organizations (int'l lending institutions, think tanks, etc) and i really want to scale up my skills in this area, and get a job in policy analysis field and i feel like DC is the mecca for it. One of the reasons why I am leaning towards JHU's MS in applied econ.

But i know that the program is full of government bureaucrats (not to diminish them or anything) and almost all of them are working professionals, which also means that the program might lack competence academic-wise. However, the fact that they are all working professionals can work in favor, as it will enable me to form networks.

In contrast, 2/3 of the BU MA in Economics's students are internationals, most of whom, upon graduating go back to their countries. Boston is a good city with consulting firms and finance, but these aren't my areas of interest. Of course BU for sure will have connections in DC but i won't be able to study and if i happen to get a job in the middle of the program, i can work and study at the same time. But BU has a higher admissions standards and a long standing reputation when it comes to their Econ department. JHU doesn't require GRE score which makes me a bit skeptical, but it is way cheaper than BU (absurdly expensive).

Can anyone who are in the program or know anything about the programs give me some insights?

Thanks!!!!!

It seems to me that you need a Public Policy MA where you can take econometrics classes. An Econ MA seems like it might be a distraction. Do you really want to learn about models of oligopoly pricing, solow growth models, comparative advantage, etc.? Econometrics will be just 1/5th of an average Econ MA and if you aren't up for the other 4/5ths you will not be too happy.

Also, there is no guarantee either will accept you so you should be considering a wider breadth of options.

Hi, thanks for your reply- i did consider a public policy Ma but its just too abstract and ambiguous and i want to learn something concrete if i were to spent $$$$

i actually have already been accepted by BU but currently applying to JHU but i am trying to see which one suits me better, in my ungrad i studied business and i have a strong math backgroud with many econ classes. Just wanted an opinion about the two programs-

Econometrics is one of the things i'm looking forward to, but of course my career objective requires me to study, trade, micro/matro econometrics, monetary economics, etc.

thanks

It seems to me that you need a Public Policy MA where you can take econometrics classes. An Econ MA seems like it might be a distraction. Do you really want to learn about models of oligopoly pricing, solow growth models, comparative advantage, etc.? Econometrics will be just 1/5th of an average Econ MA and if you aren't up for the other 4/5ths you will not be too happy.

Also, there is no guarantee either will accept you so you should be considering a wider breadth of options.

Edited by rachel0801