Urch Forums

Advice for someone starting freshman year undergrad

shahofsunset

Hello,

I am beginning my freshman year as an economics major and my current career plan is to become an economist/academic. In the weeks leading up to school starting I am trying to get as much insight into the field as possible, specifically on the school portion whiich I am beginning.

What are you something you wish you knew when you were starting out as econ major?

What advice do you have to offer?

What common mistakes can be avoided?

What should I start working on now instead of at the end of my undergrad?

Any advice relating to this or other college-related things is appreciated.

Hello,

I am beginning my freshman year as an economics major and my current career plan is to become an economist/academic. In the weeks leading up to school starting I am trying to get as much insight into the field as possible, specifically on the school portion whiich I am beginning.

What are you something you wish you knew when you were starting out as econ major?

What advice do you have to offer?

What common mistakes can be avoided?

What should I start working on now instead of at the end of my undergrad?

Any advice relating to this or other college-related things is appreciated.

Take as many math classes as you can. Math major, Econ minor would not be a bad option. Cultivate relationships with your Econ professors. Practically, you'll want to do research with them and need letters for three for graduate school. Most importantly, have a lot of fun and savor every moment. College is a blast.

Get research and TA experience as soon as possible. Developed research interests and teaching experience will help you differentiate yourself. Also if you read a little bit on this forum, you will see that competitive applicants to top programs have high GPAs approaching 4.0. So yeah, have fun in college, but you should be more focused on acheiving excellence in your studies. You're lucky that you have defined a goal early on and can take the steps to accomplish it.