Urch Forums

European PhD in just three years?

Jenny91

Hi guys,

I have been on this forum a lot and finally it is time to get active :)

Does anybody of you know of PhD programs that you can realistically complete in three years? I guess it is rather common in Europe (esp. Germany) where you get your Master's first and then directly start writing your Phd papers once accepted for a PhD. Does anybody know universities (in Europe) where completing a 3 year PhD is realistic? What do you think about Munich LMU, Ruhr Graduate School of Economics, Cambridge and Oxford?

I (will soon be) a graduate of a quite rigorous english 1 year masters program with distinction (think something like LSE EME, UCL Master in Economics, Cambridge MPhil). I really like Economics and do wish to do a PhD. However, I think I am not suited for Academia later on. Therefore I do not want to spend too much time with pursuing a PhD, 3 years seems just about right for me.

Does anybody know about programs where I can realistically finish in just three years? Of course they will not be top notch, but that's not my aspiration.

Thanks so much!

Jenny91

As you have stated, both Oxford and Cambridge offer 3 year PhDs, and of course they both have excellent reputations for industry. Most other British universities also offer 3 year PhDs, such as Manchester and Nottingham. I think UAB & UC3M also offer 3 year PhDs (Spain).

Other good European universities include Tilburg, Tinbergen, Boccini, UPF, Stockholm, Copenhagen, and TSE. Whether they offer 3 year PhDs is another matter. Would you consider Australia? Melbourne, ANU and Queensland have pretty good reputations.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your answer already! I think I should have asked more precisely: After my undergrad I was already admitted to some solid PhD programs (lets say top 100 for the sake of it). However, nobody I talked to at those unis did finish the PhD in the "normal" or estimated time. It all took them 1-2 years longer...

Therefore my question was rather aimed at asking whether anyone knows a 3 year PhD program, where students actually finish in 3 years and don't take a year or two extra. Do such a programs even exist or is three years (even if you don't do any coursework) just not sufficient?

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your answer already! I think I should have asked more precisely: After my undergrad I was already admitted to some solid PhD programs (lets say top 100 for the sake of it). However, nobody I talked to at those unis did finish the PhD in the "normal" or estimated time. It all took them 1-2 years longer...

Therefore my question was rather aimed at asking whether anyone knows a 3 year PhD program, where students actually finish in 3 years and don't take a year or two extra. Do such a programs even exist or is three years (even if you don't do any coursework) just not sufficient?

I am asking the obvious question, but someone should. Do you have the background to get into an Econ Ph.D? You said you were admitted to several programs, but are these Econ programs? Why in the world did you do an English master's but want to do an Econ Ph.D? Are you just collecting degrees? What could you possibly want to do with an English master's and an Econ Ph.D?

I think he meant to say British masters program.

Haha, yes right. I was talking about a master in economics from England and was previously admitted to PhD programs in Economics^^

I definitely don't worry about my profile just about the length of the PhD studies.. Anyone knows a place that would fit my aspirations?

If you did a 1 year master some schools will not allow you to do the 3 years phd. I got a masters from Europe and the schools in the country I was in required 2 years of masters for the 3 year phd program. You could still apply but will have to take a longer route.

3 year phd programs assume you already had solid training and took the required field classes and have a solid idea of what you want to do. The 3 years are meant to be time for working on your ideas, not studying or thinking what you want to do

If you did a 1 year master some schools will not allow you to do the 3 years phd. I got a masters from Europe and the schools in the country I was in required 2 years of masters for the 3 year phd program. You could still apply but will have to take a longer route.

3 year phd programs assume you already had solid training and took the required field classes and have a solid idea of what you want to do. The 3 years are meant to be time for working on your ideas, not studying or thinking what you want to do

Hi Insti,

thanks for your answer! Just out of curiosity, in which country did you do you Master's? Was it Germany by any chance?

Cheers :)

It was a Scandinavian country. BUT I planned on applying to some schools in Germany as a back up plan and from what I recall they wanted a two year masters as well. Not entirely certain of this though, but the point is check the school requirements for all schools you plan to apply to well in advance

The difference is that most European institutions have MPhil degrees, which do not exist in North America. The North American progression is UGrad -> MA -> PhD (or just UGrad -> PhD in USA), while I believe in Europe it is more like UGrad -> MPhil -> PhD or even UGrad -> MA -> MPhil -> PhD. For example, I believe Cambridge and Oxford only accept students into their PhD program with an MPhil, not and undergrad or MA degree.