Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation and Advice (for Master in Econ) - Atypical background

Drachet

Hello,

I am posting here since I know it is one the best place to ask for advice about graduate studies in Economics, which will be extremely helpful for me.

Type of Undergrad : French, Sciences Po's Bachelor (graduating summa cum laude - Top 2% of Class)

Grade : Above 16/20 (French Grading system-it corresponds to a Mention Très Bien, i-e High Honours)

GRE : 168Q/154V/4AWA

Maths/Stats Courses : Calculus III and Linear Algebra (A+), Probability and Statistical Inference (A+) - These two modules are year-long courses (worth 15ECTS credits each at LSE)

Econ Courses : Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (B+), Introductory Econometrics (A+), International Macroeconomics and Finance (A+). Core courses in Macro and Micro were taken at LSE during my year abroad

Research interests : Public Finance/Trade.

Concerns : Even though my school is very selective (10% admission rate), it is relatively unknown outside France and Europe. Moreover, my GRE score is not great in Verbal and Analytical Writing. Moreover, I do not have a very quantitative background.

My profile is rather atypical: I am a French, undergraduate from Sciences Po (a selective and prestigious school) and I will get my Bachelor summa cum laude (top 2% of class) before the end of September. I have spent my third year abroad as an Erasmus exchange student at LSE where I took intermediate level courses in economics (EC201, EC210) and introductory courses in mathematics and statistics (MA 100 and ST102 – above 85 in these modules). I have had some health problems that have affected the end of my year at LSE and might have had an impact on my performance.

Despite my weak quantitative skills, I am determined to pursue postgraduate studies in Economics and have applied to some master’s programs, such as LSE (MSc Economics – 2 years), Cambridge (Diploma + Mphil) and PSE (Master APE). I have been admitted in the three Masters.

In addition, I also have an offer for Sciences Po’s Master in Economics (called Economics and Public Policy) for which I do not need to apply (I am at the moment following their Mathematics summer camp – which is very easy to follow). For me, Sciences Po and PSE are almost free (I have a scholarship from Sciences Po) whereas Cambridge is quite expensive (over two years, the tuition fees sum to 27000 euros) and LSE is insanely expensive (more than 50000 euros, without living expenses, for the two years).

Moreover, even though I really want to take a module like MA212, I have heard recently that LSE’s MSc in Econ (second year) is not that good to prepare for further studies in Economics and I am wondering whether it’s worth the (immense) cost (for PhD admissions as well as getting a job after graduation if my academic results are unsatisfactory).

I realized that I do not really want to go to Cambridge (after all, the University is world-renowned for its undergrad econ, not postgrad) and I am afraid by PSE. Indeed, the program seems very rigorous, and they have very good “inputs”, i-e students from ENS, Polytechnique (in M2 at least), ENSAE and other very schools. I feel that I won’t be able to compete with them (I may not have the best preparation compared to them).

On the other hand, Sciences Po’s Master EPP is new and is mostly composed of students from Sciences Po’s College (most of them do not have maths beyond High School but they have gone through a selective process, they are able to catch up the maths) but it has some very good placements (not a lot, but some people were admitted to Berkeley, Northwestern, Yale and MIT) and the curriculum as well as the faculty seem very good and interesting. Moreover, it’s free for me and I also have a scholarship.

Given my objective to pursue a PhD after the Master, what would be the best option and is the MSc in Econ (2 years) worth the price?

Finally, I just want to say that I am extremely grateful for your help and advice.

Thank you again :proud:,

Drachet

Edited by tm_member

I wouldn't knock yourself too much, Sciences Po is very well known in Canada at the very least, and I'm sure many people know it in the USA as well.

An MSc seems to be a good option for you since you lack both Math and Economics courses (what did you major in?). I would encourage you to investigate the option of attending a french institution as a non-degree student and taking some classes that way. I know this is possible in North America, but I'm not sure if it is in France. This way you could take maybe 1-2 semesters of math and economics courses to round out your profile and then apply again. You have an extremely solid base, as long as you maintain your marks you will place well in your PhD applications.

Hi setsanto,

Thank you very much for your reply. Undergraduate studies at Sciences Po are pluridisciplinary (it is compulsory). We have to take courses in most of social science fields, but it is mostly politics, international relations and sociology. Moreover, we have to choose a minor (between Law, History and Economics - for me it was Econ) and take two courses or more from this minor. If I stay at Sciences Po, I will have a Graduate Statistics course to take with an Econometrics module. For maths, it is difficult to take courses outside the school you are enrolled at (unless my institution has partnerships with other school- the French curriculum is rigid), but I am considering taking the summer school module in Real Analysis at LSE. I have heard good comments from people who took it, even though I am quite suspicious because the course only lasts 15 days.

This sentence is all that matters;

"it has some very good placements (not a lot, but some people were admitted to Berkeley, Northwestern, Yale and MIT)"

You need to get in touch with those people, ask the director of the program at your school about them, and essentially mimic or better their what they did and ask them to review your SOP and for advice on LORs

Sciences Po is quite well-known and while other schools could potentially give you a slight edge, the fact it is "free" and you have good relationships there already, suggests you should stick with it, do great in your classes, get good LORs and then the top schools will be within reach.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I deleted a previous post because I was waiting for new results from another school before thinking about my careers prospects and realized it is useless to create a new thread for it.

Actually, I followed last year's advice (ie staying at Sciences Po) and I believe it was the good choice, but I am still thinking about my chances for a Top 15 PhD in the US and I am mainly concerned by the amount of maths needed to get in, and most importantly, survive in the first year of a PhD.

Here is my updated profile :

Type of undergrad : Sciences Po, Bachelor in Social Sciences and Economics, Summa Cum Laude (third year spent at LSE)

Type of grad : Same institution, First year of Master in Economics (no official ranking, but probably top of my class, average of above 17.5/20)

GRE : 168Q/154V/4AW

Undergrad econ courses : Introductory Micro/Macro (A+), Intermediate Microeconomics (at LSE, A+), Intermediate Macroeconomics (at LSE, B+), Introductory Econometrics (A+), International Macro and Finance (A+)

Undergraduate math courses : Multivariate Calculus and Linear Algebra (at LSE, MA100, A+), Probability and Inference (at LSE, ST102, A+), Mathematics for Economists (review of multivariate calculus and linear algebra, plus introduction to real analysis, A+)

Master courses (first year): Graduate Microeconomics 1 (A+), Graduate Macroeconomics 1 (A+), Graduate Econometrics 1 (A), Graduate Econometrics 2 (A+), Graduate Macroeconomics 2 (A+), Graduate Microeconomics 2 (A-), Time Series Analysis (A+)

Interests : Public Finance and Micro Theory.

Concerns : GRE scores, LoRs (I don't have lot of research experience) and most importantly signalling mathematical ability.

Considering applying to : Most of US Top 15 + LSE (MRes and MSc EME), UCL and some econ programs in US B-schools.

I am mostly concerned by my maths background and I know that is an important factor in admissions. Moreover, the fields that interest me most are relatively more math-heavy and that's why I am considering studying much more maths. (As far as I know, it's not possible to study just some extra classes in a subject in top of your degree, it's not as flexible as in the US)

From this perspective, I applied and have been accepted (got the results in mid-july) to a top-tier Engineering Grande Ecole (the ENSAE, which specializes in statistics and applied mathematics for economists and is an application school for Ecole Polytechnique), which will allow me to attend close to graduate level courses in algebra, analysis and differential calculus as well as two courses in optimization theory and measure theory, among others. It will probably send a great signal (if I go there, I'll have more than 21 hours of maths classes per week). I love studying mathematics but I am afraid that it may hurt my profile, for two reasons :

a) I will be competing with students who were in maths preparatory classes and I may not be as well ranked as I am/was at my current institution, given the actual background of such students (preparatory classes are quite brutal in France) and given that the grading system is quite harsh in France. On the other hand, if I stay at Sciences Po, I will probably graduate in the top-tier of my cohort (hopefully top 1), which also sends a good signal given that the program is good and the faculty is very approachable and helpful.

b) Graduating from the engineering school will certainly send a signal about my mathematical abilities, but I'll have to stay there for three more years and I am wondering whether this time cannot be spent otherwise, as a Research Assistant for instance.

Given my profile, do you think it's worth it to spend two/three more years studying mathematics and statistics or is it not necessary for a Top 10 admit ? Can I be admitted to a Top 10 PhD program (either in an Econ Dept, or in a B-school, which I prefer because of smaller intakes and because I am not very interested in Macro) next year ? (I want to apply this fall, during the second year of my Master).

The alternative I have is applying to the EME at LSE to beef-up my profile and I have heard that in some programs (such as Kellogg MECS or NYU Stern Econ), there is the possibility to follow more math courses and those are the reasons why I am hesitating going to the ENSAE. Indeed, three years is a lot, and even if French Engineering Grandes Ecoles are very prestigious in France, I am not sure it is worth the time spent given that I want to do a PhD, even if I will certainly enjoy studying there.

Thanks again a lot for your opinion ;-)

Edited by Drachet
adding something

Thanks jrdonsimoni,

As far as maths are concerned and given that you know are French :eager:, I know that US students are often required to take a certain sequence of courses, with at least a class in real analysis. Do you think that attending the ENSAE is unnecessary, or even counterproductive, given my objectives ?

I am quite tempted by their curriculum, because of the signal it sends about mathematical ability (and because the school is very-well renowned, at least in France), but am hesitating since it takes three years to graduate (even if I have the possibility to get both degrees, from Sciences Po and the ENSAE).

As far as the UK is concerned, Sciences Po will be more than enough. Now the question is whether you plan on working in France or abroad. If you plan on going back to France, then there is value in going to the ENSAE because, well, the brand name alone will get you interviews (not to mention Sciences Po which ll already be a huge plus).

Now for the US I know they seem quite strict on mathematical preparation. So, perhaps some other TMers could weigh in on this, because although Ive seen a lot of threads here about US students, Im not sure about the subtler details of the requirements for each range of universities (Top 5/10/20/50/etc.).

As I said though, for the UK ENSAE will not improve your chances drastically. I am quite confident that with your current background you ll very likely score an admit at LSE and Oxford. Now the question is with regards to funding, there Oxford might a bit better, their system is a lot easier to use, whereas the LSE has a billion different scholarships which you have to apply to individually most of the time :/ As for UCL, you should also be more than likely to score an admit. Coming from Sciences Po with such a strong performance is something they are very much after.

About maths, I was wondering whether my success in courses such as Graduate Micro 1 could offset the lack of formal mathematical preparation for adcoms. Indeed, Graduate Micro 1 required was proof-heavy and required to use results from real analysis in order to survive during the exams. Would it be enough to signal comfort with proofs ? Or, is a formal analysis course necessary for the top 10 in the US ?