Urch Forums

Rising Junior- Profile Advice

infinitejest

First time posting in this forum, though long-time lurker. I am a junior and have been wanting to do a PhD in Econ for a while now. more serious classes approaching and I want to be in top shape and ready to maximize my potential.

I'm aware it's still early for a few of these things but if you could recommend me what else I should do to have a strong chance at the top 10, I will be grateful.

some of these classes i haven't taken yet but are on my plan.

Type of Undergrad: top 40/50 USNWR private research uni, BSc in Core Math & Economics, minor in Comp Sci

Undergrad GPA: 3.82 (atm, it's stayed above 3.8 so far. trying to keep it that way)

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: not yet taken

Math Courses: Calc 1,2,3,(A,A,A) Linear Algebra(A), Intro to Stats(B), Intro Abstract Math(A), Differential Equations(A), Abstract Algebra(A), Real Analysis 1 and 2(taking now), Probability(taking now), Math Stats, Grad Linear Algebra, Topology 1 and 2, Grad Abstract Algebra 1 and 2, Statistical Analysis, Differential Geometry

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro(taking now), Mathematical Economics 1 and 2(taking now), Grad Econometrics

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro(A), Macro(A), Game Theory(A), Econometrics(A)

Other Courses: Intro to Programming 1 and 2, Computer Org and Architecture, 2 more.

Letters of Recommendation: not yet, but I'm networking.

Research Experience: 2 summers, one in Game Theory and one other one.

Teaching Experience: tutor for 3.5 years, lead tutor in university's tutor center

Research Interests: GT, econometrics

SOP: not yet.

Concerns: how influential LoRs can be

Other: dept honors for math, triathlon team treasurer

Applying to: ?

another thing I should mention is that I haven't taken gen eds since freshman year so it's been all upper-level math and econ courses...no fluff. if i had gen eds my gpa would be much higher but im honestly proud of maintaining a 3.8 with all hard math courses. haven't had many forgiving curves either.

so, besides a near-perfect GRE, what are some things that I can do to distinguish myself from other PhD students applying to top schools? is my math on par with students applying to top 10, or is it above par?

I've been reading research papers the entire summer on topics that I like but haven't written original content, how common is having some research done under your belt in these echelons?

any advice is appreciated.

It is incredibly common for top-10 applicants have independent research. After all, these programs want people who will make good economics (i.e, researchers). Sure, you are projecting to have taken a lot of advanced material, but you will likely be at a severe disadvantage if you don't write at least a senior thesis.

Adcoms tend to discount most gen eds and should recalculate your gpa for just relevant courses (econ, math, cs, physics, other mathematically intense subjects). With some solid letter writers and individual research experience, top 10 seems very possible. From my own application process, the top 10 schools to pinpoint for game theory research would be Stanford, Princeton, and Northwestern. MIT and Harvard are great of course, but the other three have a comparative, if not absolute, advantage in game theory.

chateauheart: im aware of the results page, problem with that is that a lot of the acceptances that i see are either Ivies or LAC students or intl students with masters. im trying to stay realistic to what i can achieve with my effort and where i come from too.

econphd14: thanks for the reply, and its not like im dead on for top10, ill apply to a wide range of schools :P Northwestern would be very nice btw.

also, what about top 20? is that realistic to the point of having solid chances? i imagine my letters will be solid though not from world-famous professors; "just" profs with a good amount of publications prestigious journals(Econometrica, AER comes to mind).

last question: what is Berkeley and UCLA strong in?

also, where can i find what school is strong in?