Urch Forums

Masters Assistantships

publicaffairsny

Guest Trifecta
My MA program (UNC Greensboro) offered tuition waivers and assistantships, at least as of a few years ago. I think about a third of my incoming class had one or both. The assistantship was $8,000 over 9 months with the possibility of an additional $2,500 for the summer, not sure if those amounts have gone up since then.

This could be completely irrelevant, depending on your interests, but when I applied to ag econ master's programs, I got funding offers from something like 12 out of the 13 I got into (free tuition + stipend). I'm not sure if this is more common in ag econ than regular econ, but I just wanted to point that out.

some posters have mentioned this as well. I am guessing it's more common than regular econ, but by regular econ they probably mean econ masters program in PhD granting econ departments. On the other hand many econ masters in departments with no PhD programs offer funding, as there are no PhD students to take priority.

I do think ARE programs at Masters and PhD levels are options more people should consider, as they offer a lot more than just Ag, resource and environment.

This could be completely irrelevant, depending on your interests, but when I applied to ag econ master's programs, I got funding offers from something like 12 out of the 13 I got into (free tuition + stipend). I'm not sure if this is more common in ag econ than regular econ, but I just wanted to point that out.

Duke offers some partial tuition fee waivers for Master's applicants and there are plenty of RA/TA opportunities available after the 1st semester. If not at the Econ department, many people get employed by professors at Fuqua or Sanford schools.

Duke offers some partial tuition fee waivers for Master's applicants and there are plenty of RA/TA opportunities available after the 1st semester. If not at the Econ department, many people get employed by professors at Fuqua or Sanford schools.

Yeah, don't they give 1/3, 2/3 and full tuition waivers? What percentage of students do you think get this or an RA/TA or employment at one of the schools you mention?

Yeah, don't they give 1/3, 2/3 and full tuition waivers? What percentage of students do you think get this or an RA/TA or employment at one of the schools you mention?

The waivers are not standardized. I haven't heard of anyone getting a full waiver but people do get high tuition fee waivers. There are also those who get 0 or maybe 10%.

I don't know about percentages but literally if you're good enough (that is, don't have bad grades after 1st semester) and even better, have some needed skills, there is a very very good chance of finding a TA/RA, It seems that now there are more TA/RA positions than people to fill them. Especially that at Fuqua/Sanford, they have few undergrads and most master students are MPP/MBA type of ppl, they rarely do RA/TA work. So there is demand for quantitatively oriented ppl and hence the opportunities for MA Econ students.

Edited by pch